New Container Kit from Osborn's Models (2mm & 4mm. scales)

cctransuk

Osborn's Models have released their BR BM-type fresh meat container kit in 4mm. scale, in addition to the original in 2mm. scale. This is an excellent kit and can be constructed in moments - the one that I built this morning took five minutes, using superglue as the adhesive.

IMG_5940.JPG.3de100b9e1be5825fc50fbf32ae3ffbd.JPG

I have just finished painting and lettering two kits - I'm very pleased with them indeed.

(Please excuse the photographic highlights)!

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

for the avoidance of doubt it is Osborns Models and the 4mm link is here

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/bm-fresh-meat-container-kit-49742-p.asp

and 2mm here

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/arch-laser-alnp002-bm-fresh-meat-container-49727-p.asp

please a question if I may. is there any interest in us making available a 4mm Ransome P/E crane (as in the 2mm link picture)?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Were these containers only ever carried singly on conflats or were they ever put several to a flat wagon  a la freightliner of more recent years?

I doubt that BMs were ever carried on bogie CONFLATs - though three B-sized containers were tried experimentally on a Gresley coach underframe.

The BMs were often unloaded whilst still on the CONFLAT - hence the instruction to LOAD ONLY ON CONFLAT painted on them. The end doors could not be opened if they were loaded three to a wagon.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

BMs, and possibly some FMs, allow an opportunity for modellers of the BR period to model the LMS container flats/chassis which are quite unlike the BR, GWR and indeed LNER conflats as they are essentially just chassis with container fixing points. See for example, the cover of this book:

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 65179 said:

BMs, and possibly some FMs, allow an opportunity for modellers of the BR period to model the LMS container flats/chassis ....

It's a shame that the excellent cast whitemetal kit for the LMS 'CHASSIS' container wagon, which used to be produced by Cambrian Kits, is no longer available.

I've a feeling that Cambrian's cast tank wagon kit went to David Geen, but I don't recall the 'CHASSIS' being listed in that range.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

It's a shame that the excellent cast whitemetal kit for the LMS 'CHASSIS' container wagon, which used to be produced by Cambrian Kits, is no longer available.

John Isherwood.

Indeed, they are interesting vehicles with a lot of variety as built considering the numbers produced to just a few diagrams, and surprisingly long-lived if little photographed. In 2mm I've had a go at building 3 types:

I subsequently found out that there was a more open frameworked replacement tanker chassis etch which would have worked better than the one I used. Nonetheless loaded they should look fine. I've since used the older 2 of the four shown for something else as the Don Rowland book I linked to shows that the D1838 chassis had fittings more akin to the later chassis added at some point and I wasn't confident that any D1813 or D1838 chassis would have still been suitable for FM containers.

Simon

Edited by 65179

Having tinkered with the Conflat FM and not progressed it for lack of a container (!), there is so little of the chassis showing with the container loaded that you can get away with a solid floor for most of it and just the ends of the longitudinal members showing between the container and the headstocks (a la Parkside Shockvan). 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just got a few 4mm versions of these. There are ten pieces. I popped a little lead in the thing. I rolled the Roof on a bit of pole, then wetted it lightly and left it to dry (second picture in background). The sides were bowed when they arrived so I dampened  them and left under a heavy weight overnight. That worked enough to make them easier to fit. I took much longer than John, as the PVC takes time to set and I used weights on sides and ends.20201202_110214.jpg.0b6d66c1e56e107cbba2725a494ce285.jpg

20201202_110303.jpg.ae1aa8b7e2e79e38e7ca2e1866121144.jpg20201202_135101.jpg.89a99712d07dbd28a0b91abd1c391008.jpg20201202_150531.jpg.4e38f92866ab5502c4091f3035d0687e.jpg20201202_150623.jpg.0776f799e9a275b32c7053dae06964ed.jpg

Quick set of pics and a little method I used to help attach the roof, giving that something to adhere to. Strips of Masking Tape. I just thought that it would give a little more area for adhesive. 

I forgot to take a pic of the two other strips of Tape.

Once it was all glued up and dried, I gave the roof a coat of thinned Gorilla Glue; most of it was put together with Gorilla PVC and a little Superglue.

I did not take a Pic of the Lifting Eyes folded down to the roof (light, horizontal cut first at the 'base'. 

Today I just sealed the sides and ends with Acrylic Clear Gloss.

I am looking forward t5o ordering John's excellent Transfers.

I like these and would recommend them; a little secret really apart from this thread.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
add a few words.
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 16/09/2020 at 21:37, MAURICE040947 said:

for the avoidance of doubt it is Osborns Models and the 4mm link is here

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/bm-fresh-meat-container-kit-49742-p.asp

and 2mm here

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/arch-laser-alnp002-bm-fresh-meat-container-49727-p.asp

please a question if I may. is there any interest in us making available a 4mm Ransome P/E crane (as in the 2mm link picture)?

Crane would be good

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/12/2020 at 18:07, micklner said:

Crane would be good

O thought that, and made a post (now Hidden) and then I discovered it appears to be available already.

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/arch-laser-b3d025-176-scale-oo-gauge-ransome--rapier-6-ton--petrolelectric--yard-crane-1-49762-p.asp

• Like 1