Tyne dock 9fs on foreign metals

Simon Moore

I'm curious about the tyne dock 9fs. I know they were used for hauling ore up to Consett steelworks & were fitted with Westinghouse pumps to open the doors on the ore wagons.

A question that sprung up recently in conversation was if the tyne dockers ever ventured south? 

I seem to recall seeing a photo of a tyne dock 9f somewhere in Manchester of all places. 

How far did they go out of there native territory?

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, russ p said:

Were the air pups removed as they had no use for anything else at all

I thought that too but I’ve seen pictures of the Tyne Dock 9F’s after they were displaced at Neville Hill, Chester, Saltley and at Drapers in Hull awaiting scrapping still with the pumps in place, whether they still worked is a different matter.

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, russ p said:

Were the air pups removed as they had no use for anything else at all

They were all withdrawn with air pumps fitted. All except 92065 were withdrawn from Tyne Dock, 92065 moving to Wakefield for a few months prior to withdrawal. 

The first batch was ordered after successful trials on Tyne Dock to Consett with 92037, which emerged as 92060-66, and were sent new in late 1955 on a temporary basis to Wellingborough for work on the Midland Lines in replacement for Crosti boiler locos away at Crewe for modification - they had the space in the running plate for the pumps but they weren't fitted - they were fitted at Crewe and transferred to Tyne Dock between March and May 1956, and joined by new 92097-9 in June/July 1956, which had the pumps fitted from new. 

The following were noted on unusual trains and could be considered off their patch:-

5 9Fs were loaned to Heaton to cover for diesel failures in 1963 and appeared on workings from York and Tees Yard; 

92061 was used on a special freight from Heaton to Millerhill (seen north of Newcastle); 92097 on ecs between Heaton and Newcastle. 

As with other 9Fs some were recorded on passenger workings:-

92063 - 2/8/58 - 8.15 am Newcastle to Heads of Ayr (to Carlisle)

92066 - 10/9/60 - 10.12 am York to Yarmouth/Lowestoft

92097 - 10/4/65 - RCTS North East Railtour no 2 - Newcastle to Darlington via Consett

92099 - 18/6/66 - Alnmouth to Alnwick locals - last day of steam operation.

So apart from a few workings, and the first few months at Wellingborough for the first batch, they don't appear to have been recorded far away from their usual route. After 1963 (and in the case of 92066, 1962) they visited Crewe for repairs (previously Gateshead or Darlington), so would have been seen there, or en route. 

All info from the RCTS detailed history on the 9Fs (a great book if you're interested in this class of loco). 

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I think once they were displaced by Class 24’s and they ventured far and wide. 

Although class 24s (and EE class 40 as bankers from Tyne Yard) started to be used from 1965 most trains were steam hauled until mid 1966, when D5102-5111 had been fitted with air equipment to operate the wagon doors. All but 92065, which moved to Wakefield until withdrawal in early 1967 were withdrawn at Tyne Dock, steam finishing on the Consett workings on 19/11/66. 

Edited by MidlandRed
Corrected typo - should be 92065
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1