Matt varnishes for brush painting.

Ruston

I have tried Humbrol enamel and Tamiya acrylic matt varnishes. None of them ever come out properly matt in the way that their respective matt paints do. There is always a sheen, no matter how well I've shaken and stirred the stuff. I tried Humbrol clearcote but that doesn't work either.

What's the secret to getting the right finish with these products, or what other varnishes are out there that do give a proper matt finish when brush-painting?

• RMweb Gold

I have had good results with this:

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-colors/1189-ultra-matt-lucky-varnish.html

BUT, I have to say not 100% good. With one application I had to remove (IPA) and replace because of a white discolouration. I'm certain that that was because I hd applied it too thickly. Building up with thin coats is recommended.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Ruston said:

I have tried Humbrol enamel and Tamiya acrylic matt varnishes. None of them ever come out properly matt in the way that their respective matt paints do. There is always a sheen, no matter how well I've shaken and stirred the stuff. I tried Humbrol clearcote but that doesn't work either.

What's the secret to getting the right finish with these products, or what other varnishes are out there that do give a proper matt finish when brush-painting?

Humbrol Matt enamel varnish requires mixing/stirring very thoroughly as the matting agent tends to sink to the bottom of the tin, especially if it's not been used for some time.  Flat sable haired brushes will give the best results.

Beware the newer/latest branded tins of Humbrol varnishes appear to contain a gloopy grey sludge nothing like a varnish ! I returned some recently purchased tins of Satin.

20 hours ago, brossard said:

I have built dozens of kits, most of which are brush painted with acrylic.  I have had 100% success with Testor's Glosscote and Dullcote.  These are aerosol.

John

You can buy Dullcote in a jar for brush painting

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/09/2020 at 23:58, TheSignalEngineer said:

I usually got one of two results from Matt 49, gloss or white. Doesn't matter how it's stored or how long it is stirred for I can't seem to get a consistent clear matt.

I stir it pretty thoroughly then put a small amount of it onto a palette (Kipling's pie tin) and let it down with thinners. I usually only do small areas, eg number patches on wagons but even so have got an even matt finish and not had any problem, other than invariably chucking half the tin as it goes chalky.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The latest bit of matt varnishing what I did was after airbrushing with Precision  Paints BR Blue with a matt finish, then brushing some old well mixed Humbrol enamel gloss varnish where  I wanted to stick some transfers on.

Having stuck some transfers on, I then protected them with some old well mixed Humbrol matt varnish.  I am a little disappointed to find that the old well mixed Humbrol enamel matt varnish is more matt than the air brushed Precision Paint matt BR blue.

I now have to practice weathernig to hide different matts.

For all my kits Phil, after painting, I spray the whole thing with Glosscote.  (If there is glazing, you might want to leave this off until after varnishing).  This gives a key for the transfers and also evens out the finish.

After transfers, I give the model an all over spray of Dullcote to seal the transfers.  It also improves the finish even further.

I then weather using enamel wash, airbrushed dirt and powder.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

This is the stuff I use if I want to brush on a matt varnish. Excellent results as long as you use it sparingly and its very quick drying.

https://www.amazon.com/Av-Vallejo-liquid-Varnish-55ml/dp/B002Z8F2R6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2IY055RXB6QFE&dchild=1&keywords=vallejo+acrylic+matt+varnish&qid=1602491701&sprefix=vallejo+acrylic+matt%2Caps%2C262&sr=8-2

Ian

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ianLMS said:

This is the stuff I use if I want to brush on a matt varnish. Excellent results as long as you use it sparingly and its very quick drying.

https://www.amazon.com/Av-Vallejo-liquid-Varnish-55ml/dp/B002Z8F2R6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2IY055RXB6QFE&dchild=1&keywords=vallejo+acrylic+matt+varnish&qid=1602491701&sprefix=vallejo+acrylic+matt%2Caps%2C262&sr=8-2

Ian

Another vote for Vallejo, I’ve been using it for years when I have renumbered diesels in my fleet.

Use it thinly and it’s almost invisible once dried - excellent stuff!

On 10/10/2020 at 16:33, walrus said:

Which one? Acrylic or enamel? Matt or gloss?

Enamel matt.

Transfers applied to Humbrol enamel gloss patches, Revell enamel matt over the top.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2020 at 00:52, 96701 said:

The latest bit of matt varnishing what I did was after airbrushing with Precision  Paints BR Blue with a matt finish, then brushing some old well mixed Humbrol enamel gloss varnish where  I wanted to stick some transfers on.

Having stuck some transfers on, I then protected them with some old well mixed Humbrol matt varnish.  I am a little disappointed to find that the old well mixed Humbrol enamel matt varnish is more matt than the air brushed Precision Paint matt BR blue.

I now have to practice weathernig to hide different matts.

Most Precision paints according to their labels,  have a "Dull" finish more like satin/eggshell and not Matt. 

• Like 1