Whitby shed before closure

Derekstuart

Hello all

I'm afraid I'm stumped on something. I have managed to record nearly all the track components around Whitby, but there's one area that eludes me and that is the following viewpoint, but from pre 1959. It was taken from the signal box at Bog Hall, but the picture here has been very much rationalised. I know that there was a diamond crossing more or less where the points are now, but not quite.

104 View towards Whitby from Bog Hall 09-06-62  (John Boyes) 106

If anyone has any ideas of where to look for such a photo- if indeed one exists- then I would be appreciative.  I suspect the signalmen were a little more restrictive who they let in when the shed was still open.

EDIT: NB for copyright reasons I have hotlinked to Flikr rather than cut and paste. I hope the copyright guardian (who is a frequent RMW user) is OK with that, if not please let me know.

Thanks
Derek

Edited by Derekstuart

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Derekstuart said:

Hello all

I'm afraid I'm stumped on something. I have managed to record nearly all the track components around Whitby, but there's one area that eludes me and that is the following viewpoint, but from pre 1959. It was taken from the signal box at Bog Hall, but the picture here has been very much rationalised. I know that there was a diamond crossing more or less where the points are now, but not quite.

104 View towards Whitby from Bog Hall 09-06-62  (John Boyes) 106

If anyone has any ideas of where to look for such a photo- if indeed one exists- then I would be appreciative.  I suspect the signalmen were a little more restrictive who they let in when the shed was still open.

EDIT: NB for copyright reasons I have hotlinked to Flikr rather than cut and paste. I hope the copyright guardian (who is a frequent RMW user) is OK with that, if not please let me know.

Thanks
Derek

Derek, try BR Steam Motive Power Depots (Paul Bolger ISBN 0-7110-1362-4) on page 26 there is a track diagram of the depot area circa 1928 that may help. 

Edited by iands
Corrected page number.
  • Like 1

Thanks Ian.

That's not a book I've heard of before so I will try and get a copy. However, it's not the diagram as such that is the problem, as I have that. It is photographs of this precise location as something doesn't make sense between two other photographs; it might be from different eras or something. It's quite odd.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's certainly worth reading.

Derek

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Derekstuart said:

Thanks Ian.

That's not a book I've heard of before so I will try and get a copy. However, it's not the diagram as such that is the problem, as I have that. It is photographs of this precise location as something doesn't make sense between two other photographs; it might be from different eras or something. It's quite odd.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's certainly worth reading.

Derek

Ah, sorry Derek, I misunderstood your query. I know there are two or three "videos" on YouTube (although I think one is just a series of "stills"). Just search "railway Whitby", or similar, and see what comes up - there may be something on these that might help you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seahorse said:

Hi - have you tried www.old-maps.co.uk

There is a 1928 1:2500 plan with more tracks than your photo

cheers

Peter

Hello Seahorse. Yes, I have looked at that, thank you. I did in fact download the (free) version from the Scottish library, but with making reference to the Old-Maps site as they have a greater range.

I have plotted the location into Templot using the map as a guide and with Martin's help I have got something that now seems 'right' and matches the various photographs I have access to. However, there is a blind spot between the various photographs and I have a nagging doubt that something isn't right in the middle. For example, I know from one photograph that X check and Y check are 10 sleepers apart and I know from another photograph that a turnout is a C9 etc... but then they don't quite line up as I'm expecting in the middle. There might only be 1 foot variance, but it's enough to alter the angle of the crossing and thus its location.

It might just have to be something to estimate- after all, no one's life will be changed by it I suppose.

Thanks again to you and others for your suggestions, it really is appreciated. I hope you will drop by when I start a thread and have a look.

All the best.

Derek