New Class 156 Units

charliepetty

• RMweb Premium
On 23/10/2020 at 20:19, TomScrut said:

Like how loads of stuff runs through to Rochdale (where they built at least 1 new platform) from the West to free up platforms in Vic

The Clitheroe service usually runs through to Rochdale. Confuses the part-time passengers as they want to go to Manchester.......

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @charliepetty,

I have been having a look at the 2x Northern White units you have up for preorder on your website, but it looks like there has been a typo somewhere as the product info on both these skus references the Strathclyde versions.

156-411 & 156-412

I am particularly interested in the destinations for these as the Blackburn to Bolton line was my local.

Anychance you can have a look into this, please see the attached screengrabs for reference.

Cheers

CoBoLoco

156411.png

156412.png

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, CoBoLoco said:

2x Northern White units you have up for preorder on your website

I didn't know they were available for pre order yet so thanks for mentioning it. I'll be watching closely but I think I'll be ordering at least one.

Edited by TomScrut

As there are three threads on the 156 I would think this is the correct one to post on the new forthcoming 156.

Anyway, I'm interested in getting the Northern 156 (with sound) but I'm confused by the advertising on the Realtrack & DC KIts websites for these new models due in 2021.

Both 156411 (EMR) & 156412 (Greater Anglia) are not Northern liveried\operated going by Flickr photos thus assume Realtrack are still in the process of updating the websites with finalized liveries\details\running numbers?

Also the Northern livery that is currently advertised, is that the only one Realtrack are doing or will there be others as well?...the Royal Airforce 156480 would be good if there are no licensing constraints and there is demand.

Lastly, in regards to the pricing I see there are two sections so to speak with pre-order prices being cheaper than post-release prices correct?...i.e £380 for Pre-Order Sound Fitted as opposed to £420 for DCC Sound Fitted (Twin Decoder & Speakers) with being both being identical in regards to sound configuration (twin sound decoder/speaker setup).

3 hours ago, classy52 said:

assume Realtrack are still in the process of updating the websites with finalized liveries\details\running numbers?

No need to assume I don't think, it is stated here:

On 20/11/2020 at 10:27, charliepetty said:

The website is being set up currently. but not finished

14 hours ago, classy52 said:

As there are three threads on the 156 I would think this is the correct one to post on the new forthcoming 156.

Anyway, I'm interested in getting the Northern 156 (with sound) but I'm confused by the advertising on the Realtrack & DC KIts websites for these new models due in 2021.

Both 156411 (EMR) & 156412 (Greater Anglia) are not Northern liveried\operated going by Flickr photos thus assume Realtrack are still in the process of updating the websites with finalized liveries\details\running numbers?

Also the Northern livery that is currently advertised, is that the only one Realtrack are doing or will there be others as well?...the Royal Airforce 156480 would be good if there are no licensing constraints and there is demand.

Lastly, in regards to the pricing I see there are two sections so to speak with pre-order prices being cheaper than post-release prices correct?...i.e £380 for Pre-Order Sound Fitted as opposed to £420 for DCC Sound Fitted (Twin Decoder & Speakers) with being both being identical in regards to sound configuration (twin sound decoder/speaker setup).

Think I've mentioned it before, but some of the special Northern 156's would be great - but think that might be a job for after market transfers. I would like the Bishop Auckland one, but think that might not be as popular - others like the Settle and Carlisle or NRM might be popular to be done, although the S+C one has been done before so something different might be a better idea. 

Ones that would fit the curved profile of the livery would be:

Settle to Carlisle
Hadrians Wall
York NRM
Bishop Auckland. 

Edited by The Black Hat

On 23/11/2020 at 19:48, classy52 said:

The 156-411 & 156-412 are pictured on the website in Northern White 'Bubbles' livery not EMR,

the Royal Air Force livery has been licenced to Hornby.  Yes we have a lower price if ordered early.

Charlie

156454 Refurbished (Old Lights).JPG

Edited by charliepetty
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/11/2020 at 19:48, classy52 said:

156-411 and 156-412 are reference numbers not the running numbers of the units. 156-211 and 156-212 are the Strathclyde ones. 156-115, 156-116 etc were the EMT ones. ...

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, GordonC said:

Strathclyde ones are right up my street, but the painted marker lights really spoils the front appearance. Shame when the rest of the unit is so fantasic

On the Provincial ones we have sold nearly 1400 models, less that 100 left now.   We appreciate your comments re the front small lights, but this mod is over £1000.00 as wwe needs new light guides, circuit board and re-arranged decoder CV changes, which complicates the spares issues and of course customers ordering the wring decoders, look at the Dapol circuit board issue with some models needing different decoders.  We are trying to make a compromise to standardise things to cut out customer issues later.

Charlie

PPS When the ScotRail Saltire come out again, this will have the new toilet (Missing Window) bodyshell.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, charliepetty said:

On the Provincial ones we have sold nearly 1400 models, less that 100 left now.   We appreciate your comments re the front small lights, but this mod is over £1000.00 as wwe needs new light guides, circuit board and re-arranged decoder CV changes, which complicates the spares issues and of course customers ordering the wring decoders, look at the Dapol circuit board issue with some models needing different decoders.  We are trying to make a compromise to standardise things to cut out customer issues later.

Charlie

PPS When the ScotRail Saltire come out again, this will have the new toilet (Missing Window) bodyshell.

I'm sure the Provincial ones have still have sold as they're attractive models and I have one myself, but I've only had one rather than 2 or 3 that I might otherwise have bought.

If the compromise were to fix the forward front lights as 'Day' mode for prototypes with the original light clusters rather than making them switchable between 'Day' and 'Night' mode then I'd take that all day long and be very happy. Where I do have other models with the same WIPAC light clusters that can be switched between 'Day' and 'Night' mode I've rarely switched them so would agree its a bit of a gimmick. That compromise I think that would avoid any circuit board or decoder CV changes and only need the marker lights drilled out and a different light guide (maybe a tinted one so it appears dimmer than the 'headlight') on one side. I appreciate all the modifications and differences between the units must be a nightmare for you guys, but I do find the front appearance a real stumbling block and dont trust my modelling skills to risk butchering one myself.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2020 at 00:22, charliepetty said:

Charlie 

Hmmm, okay, so for the sake of debate, let's say that over time you might manufacture at least a further 1400 units, wouldn't an additional £1000 translate to £0.71 per unit?  Even with tax and profit margin on top, surely that doesn't seem so bad?  Or am I missing something?  This isn't a criticism incidentally, just that for what to me seems like a small additional cost per unit, I personally would be more than happy to pay for fully working lighting...  not sure how others would feel...

Best

Al

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, YesTor said:

Hmmm, okay, so for the sake of debate, let's say that over time you might manufacture at least a further 1400 units, wouldn't an additional £1000 translate to £0.71 per unit?  Even with tax and profit margin on top, surely that doesn't seem so bad?  Or am I missing something?  This isn't a criticism incidentally, just that for what to me seems like a small additional cost per unit, I personally would be more than happy to pay for fully working lighting...  not sure how others would feel...

Best

Al

We have never said we will not do this modification, this would involve 3 tooling modifications + a Glazing tool modification and a new circuit board, + the decoder re mapping, but timescales are also involved as we have 3 ongoing projects which need to be slotted in to a shedule, this currently it not helped by all this covid stuff and no model shows.  

People like to look, touch & Feel.

The 156 is price sensitive as it has two decoders, I find that 25% will pay without question, 25% will accept it as good product and pay, 25% need to be convinced (Face to Face chats, seeing the model and seeing good feedback and 25% are Hornby fans and accept their 156 model as value for money.

Doing mod's at this stage 'could' mean we miss a 2021 launch.  Charlie

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 3

I like my Provo running man 156, I think speaking as an "impressionist" modeller rather than a "Dutch Master" the overall image of the unit is more important to me than one issue of the headlights.  I feel it was worth buying the Realtrack 156 to replace my Lima/Hornby "Provo" 156 lash-up I used on "King's Oak" when exhibiting, especially as that has now moved on to pastures new to a young modeller of limited means.  With the quality of the sound, and all the added details and various lighting options on the new model, I'm happy it is an improvement over the previous model.

The ancient Persian carpet weavers used to deliberately weave a mistake into their rugs, because they believed "Only Allah can make perfection", so perhaps we should give Charlie the benefit of the doubt in case he gets struck down by a heavenly "cease and desist" bolt of lightning.

• Like 1