New Class 156 Units

charliepetty

11 hours ago, charliepetty said:

The 156 is price sensitive as it has two decoders, I find that 25% will pay without question, 25% will accept it as good product and pay, 25% need to be convinced (Face to Face chats, seeing the model and seeing good feedback and 25% are Hornby fans and accept their 156 model as value for money.

I can understand your logic entirely, Charlie.  My thought process always tends to run along the lines of... if I'm paying £300+ for what is already a stunning model, then what's an extra fiver or tenner to make it just that little more prototypical.  As you say though not everyone will feel the same of course.  

Al

• Agree 4

Been brought to this page via another thread elsewhere.

Agree with other posts on the WIPAC matter. I personally dont want to spend £230 on a compromise with painted marker lights (given I have a heavily modified fleet already that 'will do'). I also see there appears to be light bleed issues with the compromise too. However I will just hold out and wait/hope the mod does come along in time, Charlie has already said nothing will happen any time soon however (kind of helps me out waiting as been spending way too much with Accurascale in recent times). There's no doubt the provincial model has been a good seller but there's no doubt its hitting sales to some degree. No one really knows by how much, thats always the gamble in business.

PS Slightly off topic but slightly related, I was once told by Simon Kohler at Hornby there was no need to produce a fresh MK3 TGS to match the rest of the range as we can just use the Lima tooling cheaply and we know it will sell just fine. Sure it did sell but by how much has it limited wider sales? No one knows I guess. Only me personally but the lash up TGS has turned me off buying 2-3 other full length HST rakes including the power cars so far. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, sanspareil said:

PS Slightly off topic but slightly related, I was once told by Simon Kohler at Hornby there was no need to produce a fresh MK3 TGS to match the rest of the range as we can just use the Lima tooling cheaply and we know it will sell just fine. Sure it did sell but by how much has it limited wider sales? No one knows I guess. Only me personally but the lash up TGS has turned me off buying 2-3 other full length HST rakes including the power cars so far. 

You are not the only one. I would be in the market for several rakes of blue/grey and executuve HST mk3s done to a modern standard.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, charliepetty said:

I was trying to point out this is a Class 156 thread!!

Sorry, got carried away with the excitement of some decent Mk3s! 

Back on thread I’m trying to justify to myself having a Strathclyde 156 on a layout that’s going to be based in South Yorkshire!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Global said:

Sorry, got carried away with the excitement of some decent Mk3s! 

Back on thread I’m trying to justify to myself having a Strathclyde 156 on a layout that’s going to be based in South Yorkshire!

Quite easy..

June and August 1989.

156502, Glasgow to Derby, Derby to Glasgow.

You can also legitimately run it along side a BR Green E27000 too, as the unit took itself from Derby to Dover, Dunquerque to Brussels, Essen and Utrecht.

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/01/2021 at 13:30, adb968008 said:

Quite easy..

June and August 1989.

156502, Glasgow to Derby, Derby to Glasgow.

You can also legitimately run it along side a BR Green E27000 too, as the unit took itself from Derby to Dover, Dunquerque to Brussels, Essen and Utrecht.

But it had to be uncoupled to be driven onto the train ferry - that's were the value of two decoders comes in.....

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

Will that help with 'weathering' the track!!!!

Urm, I think they have retention toilets but I could be wrong.  Can you imagine the smell after it’s done a couple of laps of your layout :bo_mini:

20 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Urm, I think they have retention toilets but I could be wrong.  Can you imagine the smell after it’s done a couple of laps of your layout :bo_mini:

I think they all have retention toilets now, but I understand that they didn't when they were first built.

An article from the Herald dated October 2015 indicates that a programme to fit retention toilets to the Scotrail fleet had just commenced in 2015 and that all units would have Control Emission Toilets by 2017.  I'm assuming that target was achieved.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13872133.no-dumping-first-of-scotrail-trains-refurbished-with-non-discharging-toilets-will-rejoin-the-fleet-this-weekend/

I guess if you're worried about the smell, you just need to hope that Charlie gives us a CV to lock the door to the toilet so that it's always out of use!  Of course it would be a shame if his efforts to provide a working toilet were wasted!!!

• Funny 1

Might not be a bad idea.  My first trip on a 156 from BHM to Norwich when new had me sat opposite the new "Tardis" lavatory which was confusing people with the array of buttons you had to press - one to go in, one to close, but crucially, one to lock.  One, slightly inebriated gentleman just about managed to get the door open and shut, but crucially forgot to lock.  Cue woman and child desperate for the loo - and before I could say "there's someone in there" said child pressed the button, to allow a full view of gentleman, "nicyrs i llawr", sat on the pan.

Some form of DCC control of the door would have been very useful on that day.