North Street

david51

Welcome to North Street,my 'new' layout. I say'new' because   it uses a large part of my previous layout 'Loose Road' which I featured here a year or so ago and which was exhibited at Folkestone in 2017.

North Street is an inglenook layout and represents a truncated Southern Region branchline somewhere in Southern England.

It was inspired by ,but is not a copy of Farringdon Halt on the old Meon Valley line which closed in 1955. After closure two sections became goods only ,the northern section running from Alton to Farringdon not closing until 1968. 

What made Farringdon unusual was that it had no runaround and was operated as a long siding from Alton, locos hauling from Alton with a brake van in the rear and then pushing back to Alton with the brake van leading.

Kevin Robertsons books on the the Meon Valley railway has a number of good photos and a lot of info about Farringdon..

Although based on a LSWR branch I run any of my Southern region stock including diesels and use the layout as a test track for other stock.

The track is peco code 100 with two live frog points which are hand operated( I like to keep things simple-less to go wrong) Control is analogue using AaGauge Master hand held controller 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4