Cavalex Models All new RTR HAA and variants in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

Whilst I'm sure this is great news to those who would like a new HAA, I can't help but think that something new which isn't already available from another manufacturer would have been more welcome. There are so many wagons that have still yet to be produced, I'm a little puzzled at the choice to be honest. 

Is this a different variety to the high spec Hornby model, which in itself is a decent model?

Sorry for sounding negative, great supporter of the work you are doing (got TEAs and Warflats on order), but seems like a wasted opportunity to produce something previously not seen before.

(For example the Powell Duffryn PXA https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/pdufcoilpxa)

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

Whilst I'm sure this is great news to those who would like a new HAA, I can't help but think that something new which isn't already available from another manufacturer would have been more welcome. There are so many wagons that have still yet to be produced, I'm a little puzzled at the choice to be honest. 

Is this a different variety to the high spec Hornby model, which in itself is a decent model?

Sorry for sounding negative, great supporter of the work you are doing (got TEAs and Warflats on order), but seems like a wasted opportunity to produce something previously not seen before.

(For example the Powell Duffryn PXA https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/pdufcoilpxa)

I’m not familiar with the Hornby “high spec” one, so don’t know any failings but I’d imagine for a serious player, not having an HAA is like ford not having a fiesta in its range , wagon wise.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the high spec Hornby model was a bit of a disappointment. Additionally there are lots of variants and the HAA is generally not a wagon that ran in ones and twos. I always that someone else would have a go.

That said the PXA would be great too :)

Edited by BR Blue
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

If you dont like them making a HAA, why dont you still use the old Hornby bogie tank wagons instead of the new TEA?

The Hornby HAA has a few errors, even the new one they made was wrong. This is one wagon, just like the class 37, that has been waiting for the definitive model to be made for years.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Don't get panicky, what you have is a perfectly acceptable representation, for what it's going to cost you, is it really worth it?

Mike.

For the shock and awe effect of seeing so many HAAs in one place the old Hornby one fits the bill just fine. I've only got 254 of them!

I guess the secondhand price of old ones might drop significantly when the new ones hit the shelves?

I'm willing to offer secure retirement homes for any old ones that anyone wants to move on, I can promise they won't be lonely ;) 

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yeah great news . All those that want a high fidelity HAA can now get one .

Those of us that can live with existing versions should be awash with second hand ones . I also predict one of two things . 1) Hornby introduce a high fidelity one themselves . Unlikely I would think, as they’ve shown no notion so far. 2) the existing model appears in railroad range at reduced price .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

If you dont like them making a HAA, why dont you still use the old Hornby bogie tank wagons instead of the new TEA?

The Hornby HAA has a few errors, even the new one they made was wrong. This is one wagon, just like the class 37, that has been waiting for the definitive model to be made for years.

Because that's a completely different variant of the TEA which hasn't been produced before. Hardly a suitable comparison to the very old Hornby model.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to what was wrong with the high spec Hornby model?

11 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I’m not familiar with the Hornby “high spec” one, so don’t know any failings but I’d imagine for a serious player, not having an HAA is like ford not having a fiesta in its range , wagon wise.

I see the high spec HAAs are seemingly hard to get hold of. Rob, these are the ones that go for about £20 on eBay, or £60 for the triple pack. They had sprung buffers, NEM couplings etc.

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Legend said:

1) Hornby introduce a high fidelity one themselves . Unlikely I would think, as they’ve shown no notion so far. 2) the existing model appears in railroad range at reduced price .

They did (1), it was not as good as it could have been* hence there being a place for the Cavalex one.

and (2) the original Hornby one is part of the Railroad range, but still at outrageous prices.

*Who remembers the ElectricNose review?? 

Andi

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dagworth said:

For the shock and awe effect of seeing so many HAAs in one place the old Hornby one fits the bill just fine. I've only got 254 of them!

I guess the secondhand price of old ones might drop significantly when the new ones hit the shelves?

I'm willing to offer secure retirement homes for any old ones that anyone wants to move on, I can promise they won't be lonely ;) 

Andi

I do love your collection of these Andi! :lol:

From my experience so far it seems the price of the Hornby ones just keeps rising over the years! At swapmeets and online people ask at least £7/8/9 up for the old ones, a few years back you could scoop them up for £3-4 or less a pop!

I was buying the retooled Hornby ones for my collection, I’ve got just over 70-something and they were bought secondhand during 2013-2015 all for max £11 each on ebay, seems tricky to get anywhere near that these days! The 3 packs used to sell for about £30-ish back then and better value than buying singly, especially with postage etcs.

The Cavalex ones are enormously exciting, and especially if they tackle the early version too, and of course a CDA would be hard to resist!

Cheers,

James

• Agree 1

I've been mulling over a slightly reduced length MGR for Wednesford as they were such a common sight around the Black Country and growing up just a few miles from the old Rugeley power station, I would regularly see an MGR being backed into the power station over the arches in the town when on the school bus, but hadn't yet committed to sourcing a rake.  This news is great as I can go straight for the new model.  Should look nice behind the new Heljan 47 when it comes out.

16 minutes ago, RBE said:

It will have sprung buffers yes.

Great news; they're a lovely feature with 3 link couplings and the right springing force.

Just need confirmation that the HAA will have an articulated wheelbase like my old Hornby one! :D

Edited by Pillar

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Dagworth said:

the shock and awe effect of seeing so many HAAs in one place the old Hornby one fits the bill just fine. I've only got 254 of them!

You can always do what I did with US rotary hoppers, put a few superdetail ones up front so they look great in photos and bulk out the train with the cheaper old versions. 5-10 up front would be enough and most people wouldn’t notice ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, D1051 said:

Excellent news. Hopefully a similar marketing strategy to "Accuscale" with multiple l running numbers  & 3 packs available from the launch . 

Not a bulk offer for a 40+ wagon? Would just have to find the money somehow. 

Any chance of having some Dalek accessories made as well?

Roy