Cavalex Models All new RTR HAA and variants in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Grimleygrid said:

Good evening Garry,

The original body version would be suitable for the period that you are modelling.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thank you very much for your reply and clarification.

I shall await the preorder book opening for the original version then.

Garry

The HAAs are uniquely numbered for each retailer, making it possible to buy a complete rake of 36 individually numbered red cradle wagons if you were to buy all 6 packs from each retailer.

at present the HFAs (with canopies) are not uniquely numbered for each retailer, but we may review this if we receive sufficient orders 

• Like 4

Are all the HAAs having the same arrangement of door mechanism covers as the measured 350002?  Its still got one of the original ones (on the central door) with rounded ends and two replacements of the later design with squared off ends. It would have had all rounded originally but the majority of the HAAs were built with all three squared off.  Thought it worth a mention as this is what shows on the images at present so its a bit of a mongrel.

• Agree 1

I am not usually one to froth about things, or even get excited much.

But

The prospect of some CDAs to your standards has just made me quite pleased!

That is "quite pleased" as in doing cartwheels around the room levels of pleased :D

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow..

very impressive, tonight I’ve been selecting the worst condition candidates of my HAA fleet and putting them into their 1980’s boxes And selling them for scrap..er messrs Ebay and co recycling merchants.

I recall back in the 1980s they were a brownish coloured band, until Railfreight came about, and these coexisted right through into the Yellow band era.

• Agree 1

Oh dear. I tried to kid myself that I was happy with my Hornby NEM versions. That I had a rake of 23 differently numbered wagons and I was happy and wouldn’t be tempted. But it’s no good. The prices are decent and the choice is amazing. I mean, if you have the funds, you are able to assemble a 36 rake in one foul swoop. No waiting for other releases to complete your rakes. 
This is going to test my resolve BIG time for my North layout, but I fear I’m going to easily succumb to the CDA’s for my future Cornwall based layout. Just like the ‘Revised version’ of the Hornby HAA looked alright to me, the revised version of the CDA looked alright to my eye as far as the body and chassis were concerned  but the roller roof was never convincing and this really let it down. I will look forward to seeing further details on these wagons shortly. 
Congratulations on this project. You will do very well. 

• Agree 1

Great news guys! 

While they will fit right in a block trains behind a Class 47, 56, 58, 60 or a Class 08 on a cripple movement, lets not forget that they also look at home behind an Austerity slogging its way from the colliery screens up to the exchange sidings at Bold and Bickershaw Colliery in the late 70's and early 80's

Bold Colliery:

Bold Colliery - 8D association

Bickershaw Colliery:

Bickershaw Colliery - Gerv Wright

Looks like a couple of newly painted (although still filthy) rail freight branded HAA in amongst all that grime and freight brown branded HAA. If you look closely some of the rail freight ones still retain the original bodies while others have been rebodied. (Photos all dated from 1979-1983). 

Cheers

J

Edited by Down_Under
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Grimleygrid said:

Original bodied HAA and HCA

The original galvanised steel body version, as well as the lime carrying HCA, will follow soon after the initial releases of the HAA and CDA.

Will the original body HAA models have the 'HOP AB' markings? These would fit into my scheme a little better.

29522084373_bfb874672f_b.jpgHOP AB by Kevin Lane, on Flickr

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I recall back in the 1980s they were a brownish coloured band, until Railfreight came about, and these coexisted right through into the Yellow band era.

I too am trying to understand what is best for my period  (1980-85) and what livery / body came when. 

Were the brown cradle HAAs the original body and the when they had the new hopper they got the Railfreight red cradle ?

Looking at Flickr there is, as you say, such a mix of liveries but I am not knowledgeable enough to spot what is what other than colours..

Roy

There are several examples of the refurbished body (extra row of rivets on the bodyside with edge strengthener inside as opposed to the internal cross members) on Paul Bartletts website showing them in 1981.

The wagons that we are producing would certainly be suitable for any layout set from 1981 onwards.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Anyone wishing to detail the underside of the wagon may be interested in this ..

Warrington Arpley Junction
01/11/2001 (Thursday)
Derailed HAA, 353263, came off on connection to one hand siding, train 7Z50, LBT - Ratcliffe

"The first attempt at converting to P4 was not entirely successful"

Good luck with the project - as I no longer model my wallet is breathing a very big sigh of relief.

DAS47599.JPG.8ea1795674b86026e1d01f330f38af5e.JPG

Edited by beast66606
  • Like 8
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, RBE said:

There are several examples of the refurbished body (extra row of rivets on the bodyside with edge strengthener inside as opposed to the internal cross members) on Paul Bartletts website showing them in 1981.

The wagons that we are producing would certainly be suitable for any layout set from 1981 onwards.

Many thanks for that. So on that basis if I look at this photo (not mine) the first wagon is an original body and the next three the revised body?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154596801@N04/39250965835/in/photolist-22NtsEg-2agtuAj-RXbvd5-22jY4Lv-23n3zVg-FKFj3r-29MjeuX-qKCGb9-rqzqo7-pj9GTV-VgkbjY-BxtWXP-sqExGL-2hKL12r-2hxeFZY-2iu1MX1-2iouJJn-SAA8kV-23r455T-RqUg6t-28e2RKM-dWk3aM-qR9GuY-229y8Dt-2cbBRRA-FkoUB1-25frDhg-9SbAAC-mEGr7j-2hUsJBE-E1KVVx-24quE9u-PLXYeq-23fMuJ1-2h9hcD7-2f2HCk3-GX5vyE-27W3fg5-2aF1Zeu-GrcABT-Cht4xD-GVmDDd-2hNYWxi-Giz2Nq-23o6FRq-q9qVQa-BwUMYW-2hVpPf8-aTZTqc-U5UZoi

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Many thanks for that. So on that basis if I look at this photo (not mine) the first wagon is an original body and the next three the revised body?

Yes, though the cross braces have long since been obliterated by the colliery loaders.

1 hour ago, beast66606 said:

Anyone wishing to detail the underside of the wagon may be interested in this ..

Warrington Arpley Junction
01/11/2001 (Thursday)
Derailed HAA, 353263, came off on connection to one hand siding, train 7Z50, LBT - Ratcliffe

"The first attempt at converting to P4 was not entirely successful"

Good luck with the project - as I no longer model my wallet is breathing a very big sigh of relief.

DAS47599.JPG.8ea1795674b86026e1d01f330f38af5e.JPG

Thanks for that, the underneath will already be detailed!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RBE said:

Thiese appear to be rebodied by 1980 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brhaapre80/e26342956  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brhaapre80/e14f1ec07  and these two which I assumed were built new with the strengthened body.   https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brhaapre80/e122827fc https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brhaapre80/e18d1eebf If you look at the high numbers in my post 1981 collection then building new with the new style body is confirmed. 

This shows a lot of the internal cross bracing in good condition in 1977 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brhaapre80/e3784a11a

And the underside with a transponder https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brhaapost80/e1b1f57f2

Paul

• Thanks 1