Cavalex Models All new RTR HAA and variants in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

2 hours ago, Trains4U said:

I'd just like to add...   To clear any potential confusion.

Speaking purely on behalf of Trains4U, all of the orders placed with us are accepted as genuine pre-orders.  We have committed a lot of time, money and energy to this project over several months, and we are excited to see it come to fruition.

Without wishing to put other financing models under scrutiny, recent history cannot be ignored.    Having seen first hand the impact of deposit losses on customers, and the mistrust it can bring, I am morally opposed to taking deposits from customers on pre-orders.  That may be less secure for me as a financier of this project (And Trains4U has made a significant capital investment in this project) but it is the business decision I have elected to take, and I hope in the long-run it was the right one to make.

This is the same approach I have taken with the forthcoming KFA Warflat, and that is in production as I type, with no deposits taken.

I trust that the majority of my customers will honour their commitments, just as they trust in me as the retailer to provide the end product.

Anyone who has seen the Cavalex PGA hopper, BBA steel wagon or the prototypes of the KFA warflat and TEA tanker will know what to expect of the HAA. It will be an excellent model.

I would just like to echo these words on behalf of KMS Railtech.

We have been working on this project for quite some time along with Cavalex. We are delighted to be working in conjunction with Trains4U, and decided to operate the same pre order form as them in the interests of continuity for customers wishing to order from both Trains4U and ourselves.

We also decided that we would operate a no deposit system for pre orders on this project, and will do so wherever possible on other projects. We have invested significant funds into the project and it will be seen to completion. We too have seen the impact of failed deposit schemes in the past, however some of our other projects simply cannot go ahead without deposits.

The HAA/CDA has been in tooling for some time now and we are very excited to see it in the flesh!

IMG_7380.jpeg.fb760acf16c75aee2db92a5e500cc8c9.jpeg

IMG_7381.jpeg.5105cdad5d00b863a627f8846450d8f8.jpeg

P.S. We too were there!

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, njee20 said:

They’re far more detailed. What else has improved with wagons since the Triang days...?

MK1 Wobbly chassis released around forty years ago! at if my memory serves me right at about 75p??.....the buffers looked a little bit like a solid oleo.

MK2 Then you had one with buffers from a design favoured by GW Churchward...possibly but hey it was sprung....

Oh and bits would fall off randomly.

Oh and those buffers....sprung great but did I mention they bore no resemblance to anything oleo related.

The shape was a bit iffy on both Hornby takes.

They then basically invented a box body for their COALFISH, it was soon "retooled" 

Bits would still fall off.

They then released batches at increased prices which had them sat on shelves...but its a new generation model, with some major flaws..

Some models you can have a hack at but the HAA family sort of relies on the bucket being accurate, it wasn't.

The next generation deserve to do well. 

Edited by Ian Fisher
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Ian Fisher said:

MK1 Wobbly chassis released around forty years ago! at if my memory serves me right at about 75p??.....the buffers looked a little bit like a solid oleo.

MK2 Then you had one with buffers from a design favoured by GW Churchward...possibly but hey it was sprung....

Oh and bits would fall off randomly.

Oh and those buffers....sprung great but did I mention they bore no resemblance to anything oleo related.

The shape was a bit iffy on both Hornby takes.

They then basically invented a box body for their COALFISH, it was soon "retooled" 

Bits would still fall off.

They then released batches at increased prices which had them sat on shelves...but its a new generation model, with some major flaws..

Some models you can have a hack at but the HAA family sort of relies on the bucket being accurate, it wasn't.

The next generation deserve to do well. 

And both the original and re-tooled versions have the tri-ang 2mm too high buffer beam.

• Agree 1

On 13/10/2020 at 19:59, KMS Railtech said:

I would just like to echo these words on behalf of KMS Railtech.

We have been working on this project for quite some time along with Cavalex. We are delighted to be working in conjunction with Trains4U, and decided to operate the same pre order form as them in the interests of continuity for customers wishing to order from both Trains4U and ourselves.

We also decided that we would operate a no deposit system for pre orders on this project, and will do so wherever possible on other projects. We have invested significant funds into the project and it will be seen to completion. We too have seen the impact of failed deposit schemes in the past, however some of our other projects simply cannot go ahead without deposits.

The HAA/CDA has been in tooling for some time now and we are very excited to see it in the flesh!

IMG_7380.jpeg.fb760acf16c75aee2db92a5e500cc8c9.jpeg

IMG_7381.jpeg.5105cdad5d00b863a627f8846450d8f8.jpeg

P.S. We too were there!

Colossus wagon in close up situations like your above images. I remember the Cumbrian Coast flows from the now defunct Haig? colliery near Workington?  to Fidlers Ferry in the late 70’s and early 80’s 32 HAA and a brakevan single Class 47 lineside through Kents Bank at near full chat. Something you tend not to forget. 

Ian 

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Crisis Rail said:

I remember the Cumbrian Coast flows from the now defunct Haig colliery near Workington  to Fidlers Ferry in the late 70’s and early 80’s 32 HAA and a brakevan single Class 47 lineside through Kents Bank at near full chat. Something you tend not to forget. 

Slight correction - Haig was in Whitehaven not Workington. Coal came down a conveyor to be loaded at the harbour side in Whitehaven. HAAs were also later used to take coal from Maryport south. 

Cheers Mike

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Are there any plans to do the version with a roof that was used for lime traffic from the Peak District to Port Talbot (CBA?)

Welcome to the CBA party splitters Brian. @pinzaand I are already members.... posted one of Bob Masterman’s super photos of the train in question on the CDA thread.... ;);)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, red death said:

Slight correction - Haig was in Whitehaven not Workington. Coal came down a conveyor to be loaded at the harbour side in Whitehaven. HAAs were also later used to take coal from Maryport south. 

Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike - was a while back!

22 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've got a cat, and there seem to be a few pigeons round here, so, what is so manifestly wrong with the re-tooled Hornby HAA that makes these new  models so much of an improvement?

I'm only asking, I don't want a Halibut moment, but I'm interested in peoples (other than the usual suspects) views and opinions.

Mike.

Hornby HAA

1. weird floating suspension on both axles, modellers often glued one in situ, mine ran fine but would occasionally wobble as if drunk.. 

2. the hopper body was misaligned with the top of the cradle/frame (and that's what really jarred with me - it didn't look right at all)

3. crude brake gear under the solebar, certainly by today's tooling and design standards 

4. top of hopper looked wrong, too thick? :scratchhead:

5. malnourished buffers

6. i think the rivets or reinforcement was missing for the early builds along the mid hopper body - its been discussed before on this forum somewhere... i.e. the body wasn't right for a particular era, can't remember which

7. no hopper door detail underneath, I know you can't see it when running on a layout but look at the underneath of the Accurascale MMA or Cavalex PGA or Cavalex BLA...or Revolution TEA etc... you get my point.

So really although it's (Hornby model) been around for ages its long overdue for a 21st Century upgrade, especially if you haven't got any. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, D9502 said:

Hornby HAA

1. weird floating suspension on both axles, modellers often glued one in situ, mine ran fine but would occasionally wobble as if drunk.. 

2. the hopper body was misaligned with the top of the cradle/frame (and that's what really jarred with me - it didn't look right at all)

3. crude brake gear under the solebar, certainly by today's tooling and design standards 

5. malnourished buffers

6. i think the rivets or reinforcement was missing for the early builds along the mid hopper body - its been discussed before on this forum somewhere... i.e. the body wasn't right for a particular era, can't remember which

7. no hopper door detail underneath, I know you can't see it when running on a layout but look at the underneath of the Accurascale MMA or Cavalex PGA or Cavalex BLA...or Revolution TEA etc... you get my point.

So really although it's (Hornby model) been around for ages its long overdue for a 21st Century upgrade, especially if you haven't got any. 

Oh and a pig to try and convert to EM....

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, D9502 said:

Hornby HAA

5. malnourished buffers

27 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Oh and a pig to try and convert to EM....

, but I was talking about the re-tooled version.

The old version is more of a pig to convert to 14mm wheels than it is to EM.

Mike.

2 hours ago, D9502 said:

Hornby HAA

5. malnourished buffers

Yes. That was back then. What was your Traction a Lima Class 37? 

• Funny 1

On 14/10/2020 at 17:28, D9502 said:

Hornby HAA

5. malnourished buffers

To be fair you seem to be talking about the old, now Railroad, version.

The (2003?) Hornby retooled sprung buffer version fixed most of your points above, though annoyingly your point 2 still remained. I don't think the 'new' Hornby version is that bad, but the cradle misalignment really stands out making the model look wrong.

Looking forward to getting a fair few of these new accurate HAAs.

Hi KMS/Trains4U,

Since this model was announced I’ve been working out if a rake will fit my new layout so have held off putting in a pre order. My other dilemma is whether to go with a 90’s era set based on the end of the Cumbrian Coast workings from Maryport Rapid loader to Fiddlers Ferry or Rugeley. These had a 47 and 30 wagons and 60’s appeared around 1991. I’m not quite sure when these finished as the Padiham coal went out in POA’s behind a 60 and ended in 1993. Or a final years rake that I saw working around Fife with the very weathered red/yellow under grime along with EWS and Blue cradles mixed in with a 66 hauling. 
Tonight I’ve solved one problem by planning an extension to my fiddle yard width wise which will add in 6 extra roads with a couple long enough for 30 wagons. I’m delighted to see this is still going ahead as planned as I’m confident the Cavalex model will be excellent based on the BBA’s I have. Just need to decide on the formation.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi KMS/Trains4U,

Since this model was announced I’ve been working out if a rake will fit my new layout so have held off putting in a pre order. My other dilemma is whether to go with a 90’s era set based on the end of the Cumbrian Coast workings from Maryport Rapid loader to Fiddlers Ferry or Rugeley. These had a 47 and 30 wagons and 60’s appeared around 1991. I’m not quite sure when these finished as the Padiham coal went out in POA’s behind a 60 and ended in 1993. Or a final years rake that I saw working around Fife with the very weathered red/yellow under grime along with EWS and Blue cradles mixed in with a 66 hauling. 
Tonight I’ve solved one problem by planning an extension to my fiddle yard width wise which will add in 6 extra roads with a couple long enough for 30 wagons. I’m delighted to see this is still going ahead as planned as I’m confident the Cavalex model will be excellent based on the BBA’s I have. Just need to decide on the formation.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks for the support Mark. We look forward to seeing your order and hopefully some images of the rake when they arrive! Sorry we can’t help in the decision making on which rake. Did you say your new fiddle yard would take two rakes? :-D

on a side note, we have plenty of track in stock! ;-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...