Cavalex Models All new RTR HAA and variants in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

• RMweb Gold

Yes, an early/original body style, there weren't many air braked wagons to use as barrier wagons at the time, so MGR's were used, some with specific branding for the working involved, the ones I remember were lettered for Thames Haven services.

To think laterally and alternatively, does anyone do the transfers to convert a production model.

Mike.

IMG_7533.jpg.0184627b9ee0894329c97c2c9a8f7cec.jpg

Since announcing our HAA family of wagons they’ve proven to be one of our most popular wagons to date. We’ve included two further unseen variants in the image above as well! Preorder details will follow in due course for these further variants. 

If you want to preorder the Cavalex HAA, HFA and CDA variants please follow the links below:

www.kmsrailtech.co.uk / Pre order the Cavalex HAA, and KMS exclusive HAAs here - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfdBrmkLW5ZPk2KV2hm3DaL3dnGr0xuPw9z9szbY86GaxS5fA/viewform

www.trains4u.com / Pre order the Cavalex HAA, and Trains4U exclusive HAAs here - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdhxZiTraMx17iMXCGB0JR2AtIfNL2xKBJoLBOxa02AH95veQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, meld said:

BCPM PGA Hoppers, similar as derived from, but very different to HAA. different size hopper, different chassis size .... 

Meld

Thanks for that. I’d never seen them before. 
Everyday is a school day!

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2020 at 07:30, Sails said:

I have seen cement works mentioned, but any other small scale industrial locations the HAA's delivered coal?  

It doesn't really count as a 'small scale' industrial location but the ICI Winnington (later Brunner Mond) soda ash works in Northwich, Cheshire received coal in HAA's (the sister ICI Lostock Works also had a coal fired power station on site but did not receive in HAAs). Ultimately any non-power station industrial facility that consumed a sufficient volume of coal to justify the HAA operating facilities will always be on a larger scale.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Rochdale Road said:

Will it be feasible to use a wheel puller or equivalent to pull the wheels on these out to P4, or will they need new axles/wheels? 

Also, can anyone tell me when the yellow cradle versions started to appear?

Richie

It was with Coal Sector the Yellow paint was applied, there were the publicity ones with big sector symbols but the first one I photographed was January 1989 with the small one at the right.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rochdale Road said:

Will it be feasible to use a wheel puller or equivalent to pull the wheels on these out to P4, or will they need new axles/wheels? 

Also, can anyone tell me when the yellow cradle versions started to appear?

Richie

Hi Richie. The wheel profile for P4 is different to OO. You could pull them out but I doubt that they would work with P4 track. EM of course is a different matter.

The wagons have been designed to take replacement P4 wheelsets as a direct fit though as is standard with all of our products.

Regards

Cav

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, RBE said:

Hi Richie. The wheel profile for P4 is different to OO. You could pull them out but I doubt that they would work with P4 track. EM of course is a different matter.

The wagons have been designed to take replacement P4 wheelsets as a direct fit though as is standard with all of our products.

Regards

Cav

RP 25/88?

Mike.

3 hours ago, RBE said:

Regards

Cav

Thanks Cav,

I am just starting out in P4, so had forgotten about the wheel profile, can you advise what size wheels the HAAs take them I can investigate some options - maybe a bulk buy!!!

Richie

Edited by Rochdale Road

• 1 month later...

We’re really excited to show off our HAA and CDA EP samples which have arrived for review. There are a final few tweaks to be made, however we’re really happy with how they’re shaping up. 

We can’t wait for the painted samples which are due after The Chinese New Year!

IMG_8782.jpg.264f916933478fa499f58810da73c185.jpg

IMG_8778.jpg.8681e0fa695c1f0eac17075e869cc8d9.jpg

IMG_8785.jpg.ff64e1215bd4d4dabd10fc5107c8ddcc.jpg

73a2d2ab-3719-4121-9af6-b6dab1f8932c.jpg.f7924597a82aad69ed7f3dcd87b6067d.jpg

These models are exclusive to Trains4U and KMS Railtech and cannot be ordered through any other retailer.

www.kmsrailtech.co.uk / https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfdBrmkLW5ZPk2KV2hm3DaL3dnGr0xuPw9z9szbY86GaxS5fA/viewform

www.trains4u.com / https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdhxZiTraMx17iMXCGB0JR2AtIfNL2xKBJoLBOxa02AH95veQ/viewform

Please visit the above websites for further information and details of these triple packs. More details on our HAA project can be found on our website here:

https://www.cavalexmodels.com/4mm-projects/#HAA

Edited by Grimleygrid
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

image.jpeg.85a6e33c18af582b782c7f4c382394e3.jpeg

I’m surprised no-one has commented on the green colour.

These are the top-secret Military versions.  The MOD ordered several dozen to distribute coal for the strategic reserve.

no-one ever saw them as they were so well camouflaged.

Allegedly they are still hidden in a tunnel somewhere under Wiltshire.

They’ll go well with the KFAs.

• Funny 6

I’ve just been lucky enough to have a close look at these, and they are outstanding (I would say that though wouldn’t I)

The detail is phenomenal and raises the bar yet again.

what is noteworthy is that in a side-by-side comparison with a competing version, the hopper of the Cavalex model sits correctly in the cradle and is a good 2-3mm or so lower, the hopper is also (correctly) 6mm or so longer and the solebar slightly slimmer, giving it a proper bulky look, rather than a short and arguably overbalanced appearance.

The hood on the CDA is also an excellent piece of engineering with some lovely etched brass detail.

I’m sure Cav and Alex can better explain, but it is worth noting that these are tooling samples to test variation and fit, so won’t be a perfect match for an existing prototype.

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lyddrail said:

I take it the buffers will be replaced with the correct Oleo type on the finished model?

Cheers.

Good evening Paul,

Thank you for pointing that out, we appreciate all feedback.

We are aware that some parts have been incorrectly fitted to the wrong version, such as the CDA buffers being fitted to an HAA.

This will be added to the list for attention ahead of the painted samples.

The HAA will have OLEO type buffers as per the prototype.

We will review the samples and provide our feedback to the factory in due course.

Hope that helps.

If you have any additional comments then please do let us know.

Many thanks

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I was just liking the CDA’s but now I’ve gone and bought the EFE original livery 58 in a moment of rose tinted madness to remember sitting on the bank at my uncles farm watching MGR trains! Maybe just a few to make it look good . . . :paint:

22 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Well I was just liking the CDA’s but now I’ve gone and bought the EFE original livery 58 in a moment of rose tinted madness to remember sitting on the bank at my uncles farm watching MGR trains! Maybe just a few to make it look good . . . :paint:

Hi Paul, I always thought that 58s looked best in the Original Railfreight livery so fully understand your purchase!

Some links below to Flickr for some prototype inspiration to rekindle your memories!!

58005, Harbury

58013 Shipley Gate 4-7-85

58005, Ryecroft Junction, May 1986

Early Evening MGRs

Railfreight 'Red Stripe' 58047 from the Power Station Coal Yorksire Pool, passing Lacey Fields Langley Mill, 31.08.91

Print 1278. 58047 approaching Water Orton at 10.47 on 22nd March 1991

58049 works a loaded mgr coal train out of Toton yard when seen on 26-10-90. I Cuthbertson collection

Ollerton Colliery 58049 loaded MGR to High Marnham 1980s

I came across these photos the other day whilst browsing Flickr, justification for me purchasing a few HAAs for my layout I think!

1109-018

1109-032

• Like 8