Cavalex Models All new RTR HAA and variants in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

Having seen some posts on the DEMU forum - we thought we’d pop a quick post on to preempt any questions about P4/EM wheels in our HAA. As you can see from the below photo from earlier this year, our HAA takes standard 26mm axle wheels very nicely. The conversion took all of 30 seconds. With all of our wagons this is one of the first things we do when samples arrive, to check no alteration to the wagon is required and that they run just as well as OO wheelsets. Being modellers ourselves (and one of us modelling in P4) we understand the importance of ensuring that all of our models meet this requirement in practice ahead of production.

PHOTO-2021-06-12-10-56-19.jpg.83f5ecbffc1d25889e814a54665c05a5.jpg

• Like 11

The recent announcement and debate around a competing product has clearly brought our models to the attention of new customers, as we have seen a flurry of orders for Cavalex MGRs over the weekend.

Whilst we have inevitably had a few cancellations, we are in a position where we are having to increase our production run as we have orders for 90% of our planned run, with some variants having significantly oversold original estimates.

We know that our MGR is expensive, but you can see why when you look at the details.    From the outset, our aim has been to focus on quality without having to be constrained by price.  This means that we can concentrate on ensuring that the end products are as fine and detailed as possible, whilst avoiding any obvious compromises in the tooling or construction methods.

We have a couple of revisions and alterations in the works that will ensure that our accuracy levels are unsurpassed.    Watch out for our final decorated samples which are due very soon!

But here are a few tasters of the detail you can expect:
(Factory finished first samples shown)

image.png.2cc202bdf82716752cb4756f9217d28a.png

image.png.8a3077ff5e5b96dd1c65b833ab89886b.png

image.png.456f0eb93ec34cf9c4af635065054de1.png

image.png.43694dd86fed580496ad814fa04afc87.png

image.png.8039ab5f27adf0552786aa6dcfeeeb35.png

image.png.10122c29564905933e7745c2fed56914.png

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, Trains4U said:

We know that our MGR is expensive

This is very much a case of perspective. The Hornby offering is still £24.95/wagon, which if you consider what you're getting in terms of the accuracy and the quality of the red-box model, your variant still does represent value for money!!!

And yes, while the other team's product is a little bit cheaper, I'm happy to keep my order for the Cavalex variants because I'd much rather have two successful, high-quality, and still reasonably priced manufacturers producing the kinds of "modern" wagons I'm interested in. You may save some £££ in the short run, but by putting all your eggs in one basket (purposefully avoiding hitching-your-wagons puns here!!!) you can only do harm by limiting variety in the future.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

THE FIRST AND THE LAST OF THE HAA MGR WAGONS

We are delighted to announce that we are producing models of the first and last Merry-Go-Round (MGR) coal wagons for Locomotionmodels. 

IMG_0801.JPG.c987156ff5161c288f55b086de78f4ab.JPG

IMG_1192.jpg.dc66ecec6b7cc5f969a67a604e6dab71.jpg

Please visit the below link for more information:

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/coming-soon/the-first-and-the-last-merry-go-round-set.htm

Cavalex-logo-(LM).png.0a81ee60b4a9bf2ef891275cd0f34e9f.png

Please note the illustrations are of pre-production samples and not of the final models that will be delivered. Some parts are missing including the four cross braces on the original bodied version. Further images will be issued in due course.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Very tempting.  I cannot have a mgr rake on my layout, but a couple of wagons could be seen in Speedlink workings occasionally.  First and last built would show some differences. Perhaps one heavily weathered, one lightly weathered.

Edited to add I’ve now ordered them.

Edited by ColinK
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Please can we have the buffer shanks silver ?

Having just added silver buffer shanks to my HAA rake and various other rakes, I think this makes a big difference to their appearance, as it's a very prominent feature of many wagons.

It's not a difficult job to add them yourself though of course.

HAAs.jpg.01672dc93da88cc76df28e7d58ec9200.jpg

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

I thought I'd provide a quick update...

We have added original HOP ABs to our order form (Three different triple packs).  These are all Pre TOPS brown cradle versions

these are not exclusive, but are shared with KMS

Pack 1 of the red cradle HAAs is now sold out.   The remaining five red cradle packs are all between 80% and 95% ordered.

We have also deleted the EWS HAA triple pack as it has not received sufficient orders - we will shortly be in contact if you have ordered this pack.

Cavalex MGRs are available to order with no deposit required from our website (Link to the order form is on our homepage) and are now expected early in the new year

Edited by Trains4U
typo
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Trains4U said:

I thought I'd provide a quick update...

We have added original HOP ABs to our order form (Three different triple packs).  These are all Pre TOPS brown cradle versions

these are not exclusive, but are shared with KMS

Pack 1 of the red cradle HAAs is now sold out.   The remaining five red cradle packs are all between 80% and 95% ordered.

We have also deleted the EWS HAA triple pack as it has not received sufficient orders - we will shortly be in contact if you have ordered this pack.

Cavalex MGRs are available to order with no deposit required from our website (Link to the order form is on our homepage) and are now expected early in the new year

Thanks for the update.

Are the HOP AB triple packs the same for both Trains4U and KMS, or will each shop have its own running numbers? I.e. will there be 9 individual running numbers in total or 18?

And  is the intention to cover both pre and post tops on these?

Thanks,

Cameron

Hi, the first run is pre-tops and the packs are shared, so there are 9 different running numbers.
It was a late addition (And we have to consider our budgets!)

If these sell well, we will quickly follow with more and different versions.

2 minutes ago, Trains4U said:

Hi, the first run is pre-tops and the packs are shared, so there are 9 different running numbers.
It was a late addition (And we have to consider our budgets!)

If these sell well, we will quickly follow with more and different versions.

Ok, thanks for the clarification!

Regards,

Cameron

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I hate to be that guy, but is there any news here?

I'm going to assume things are ticking along, but all stages are being delayed by all the global nonsense going on at the moment. Certainly looking forward to getting these wagons tho!

Hi Tugs, the production run is well underway in China and we have recently this week received some early production samples ahead of the Model Rail Scotland for anyone visiting to see at the show.

We have been working closely with the factory making final tweaks as the models come off the production lines and we are in no rush to make silly manufacturing mistakes at this stage as we want you all to have the most accurate HAA hopper that money can buy. 

More news and photographs will be published on social media and our website ahead of the Model Rail Scotland.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Prototype inspiration

98_45.jpg.45568266160e60a2c6793e0b57c387d8.jpg

Photo courtesy Douglas Johnson

Prototype inspiration for both our forthcoming 56 and HAA production samples - 56019, working the 7H50 12:33 Wardley OC – Gascoigne Wood, 29th of April 1998. Come and handle the production HAA samples for yourself on stand A13 at Glasgow this weekend! 

Photo courtesy Douglas Johnson
https://flic.kr/p/2iioUqB

• Like 3