Cavalex Models All new RTR HAA and variants in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

37 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Thiese appear to be rebodied by 1980 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brhaapre80/e26342956  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brhaapre80/e14f1ec07  and these two which I assumed were built new with the strengthened body.   https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brhaapre80/e122827fc https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brhaapre80/e18d1eebf If you look at the high numbers in my post 1981 collection then building new with the new style body is confirmed. 

This shows a lot of the internal cross bracing in good condition in 1977 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brhaapre80/e3784a11a

And the underside with a transponder https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brhaapost80/e1b1f57f2

Paul

Thanks for those Paul, it seems that we are good to go from 1978 with one of those pictures then.

Have you any info on the bottom of the doors. We have currently designed the doors as per the picture that you attached however the picture further up in the thread shows doors without the cross pattern?

Tempted to order them, but at £30 a wagon they do seem a little expensive, especially when you can get a larger bogie wagon for the same price (i.e. accurascale PTA).

If here was an option for discount for bundles i would be interested as I'm after at least 18 wagons.

regards

Darryl

• Funny 1

Hi Darryl.

Thanks for your interest.

£30 is competitively priced for rolling stock of this level of detail in the current market.

The accurascale PTA model maybe 'larger' however size is not the overiding factor when considering costs for the manufacture of rolling stock. The level of detail afforded means that a great deal of the cost is taken up with having to make, prepare and assemble the many many parts that make up a wagon of this quality. This is directly proportional to the time and care it takes to fit parts under factory conditions that in all fairness we at home would sometimes have trouble fitting on our workbenches.

Gone are the days where facories were snapping together 5 or 6 parts in 30 seconds to make a ready to run wagon.

Regards

Cav

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 minutes ago, daz9284 said:

Tempted to order them, but at £30 a wagon they do seem a little expensive, especially when you can get a larger bogie wagon for the same price (i.e. accurascale PTA).

If here was an option for discount for bundles i would be interested as I'm after at least 18 wagons.

regards

Darryl

Darryl, that’s probably a very competitive price these days for a newly commissioned highly detailed wagon. You can’t compare on size as number of tooling required will be similar if not more with the extra tops on the HFA’s, plus possible future variants. Kernow have a 4 wheeler at £40 and suspect this is only at £30 due to the sheer volume that will hopefully sell. 

cheers

Mark

It makes sense for Cavalex to start with the most popular variants, i.e. rebodied hoppers for early 80's - early 00's modellers. I'm sure these will sell well. 

For me though (and many others no doubt), modelling the 70's means I'll be holding out for the the early variants with the internal cross braces. I was a little disappointed that these weren't initially announced, but then I understand it would be a lot for Cavalex to go at initially, and producing different variants over a few years will make more sense. The CBA lime hoppers will be one to look out for too, hello Tunstead - Margam! 

All the best with these! 

Cameron 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

It makes sense for Cavalex to start with the most popular variants, i.e. rebodied hoppers for early 80's - early 00's modellers. I'm sure these will sell well. 

For me though (and many others no doubt), modelling the 70's means I'll be holding out for the the early variants with the internal cross braces. I was a little disappointed that these weren't initially announced, but then I understand it would be a lot for Cavalex to go at initially, and producing different variants over a few years will make more sense. The CBA lime hoppers will be one to look out for too, hello Tunstead - Margam! 

All the best with these! 

Cameron 

Likewise.... in for 20 CBAs here, needs an AB Peak for early 70s.....

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, lyneux said:

Spread themselves too thin.... like putting steam-era spoked wheels on a disc braked PGA?

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/56248/R6829-Hornby-PGA-Hopper-Wagons-Tarmac---Three-Wagon-Pack ?

Hornbys failures in the past few years have been rather sad too watch, seems they are making no effort to improve. Anyway, really happy to see these wagons, especially the cdas! Good work

• RMweb Gold

Ive got to profess to not knowing the intricacies of HAAs, At the time I was more interested in the locos, but I can see a few different styles in these pictures, the ones with canopies have cross braces..

note the “brown” one, wagon 3.., first has strengthener

this one below seems to show at least 3 styles ( strengthened, original and with canopy)

pictures were August 1991.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Garry D100 said:

Just ordered my part railfreight rake on train4u

Gone to kms to order the rest and the order form is no longer there

https://www.kmsrailtech.co.uk/351-haa-wagon

Anyone else having an issue?

Thanks

Seems to have been fixed now as new link is on their homepage.

Order placed :-)

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Yes I think so, used in Ayreshire from 2007.

4 hours ago, markw said:

There were also some Mainline blue ones before privatisation.

I meant to write up to 2007. I thought the blue livery was a Scottish area demarcation, and Mainline Freight weren't known for operating much in Scotland? I've found a few pictures, all in Scotland.

i-gtFhHnP-O.jpg

i-rZShpXr-O.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Global said:

Am I right in thinking the blue cradles were post privatisation? 

6 hours ago, markw said:

There were also some Mainline blue ones before privatisation.

Sadly I can't find the picture available online anywhere, but in Paul Shannons book Diesel Decades 1990s there is a picture on page 75 of 60043 at North Stafford Junction with at least 2 blue painted ones dated 31st October 1997

This pic on Flickr (not mine) shows quite a few with Mainline cradles. It's dated 1999, but I'd say it's 1998 or earlier as the loco looks a bit too clean and its got the pre-1998 OHLE stickers on it.

Mainline 58

Close up of one still retaining the Blue cradle and a Mainline sticker in 2004

07/06/2004 - Warrington Bank Quay.

Andy

Edited by SWT442
Add extra info

3 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Good find. But post-privatisation and a different blue than the Scottish ones by the look of it.

I thought that's what was trying to be distinguished? That there were Blue cradles before the Scottish ones were done under EWS?

Also, I wouldn't exactly call Mainline post-privatisation, considering it was shadow privatisation along with the other two.

Andy.