Accessory decoder and more than one point motor

Kallaroonian

Hi

I think I know the answer to this but looking to check others knowledge and experience.  Am I right in saying that one Switchpilot output cannot reliably switch two solenoid point motors? But a DCC Concepts ADS nnn can? (specifically an ADS8fx or sx)

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I'm just struggling with this. I have 2 crossovers with both points (Seep solenoid motors) connected to a single ads2fx output. One works but the other needs 2-3 attempts to switch. This is no good when using computer route setting☹ Spent all afternoon trying different wiring to no avail. Connections are short run, and close to the DCC power source. Don't even work when motors not attached to point/board. So my answer is "it depends"! 

Cheers

Mark

I don't use solenoid motors - I use MTB MP1 motors in the main - slow action.

I switch pairs of points like crossovers using a single channel on my DCC accessory decoder (Digikeijs DR4018 in my case). Works a treat, 100% reliable. The current draw of these motors is fairly low - max 150mA - so that a pair never tries to draw more than is available from the accessory decoder.

Yours, Mike.

PS I tried a different unit with similar results. Given one pair of points work, maybe it's an issue of variability with the SEEPs. What is certain is that the switching power diminishes significantly if you try to drive 2. In the event I had a spare output so now separately powered. This means switching is very positive and there are no worries about partial switching :-)

Cheers

Mark

9 minutes ago, mjenderby said:

PS I tried a different unit with similar results. Given one pair of points work, maybe it's an issue of variability with the SEEPs. What is certain is that the switching power diminishes significantly if you try to drive 2. In the event I had a spare output so now separately powered. This means switching is very positive and there are no worries about partial switching :-)

Cheers

Mark

We have found the SEEP motors can vary, so when used in pairs, one can take most of the energy if the other is a bit stiff.

Another thing to consider is the DCC system voltage as this will effect the charge voltage of the capacitors on the ADS units.

(The higher the DC volts, the higher the capacitor volts resulting in a higher output pulse voltage)

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team