Alma Terrace, an A4 diorama

Spotlc

Chips with Everything!   Terrace nearing Completion!

IMG_4251.JPG.9c16db93497b14d1243498de78918a22.JPG

For all sorts of reasons, I didn't take many pics of building the chip shop, but it is just the standard Scalescenes Corner Shop, which has several usage options - chip shop, greengrocer, pub, etc, and can be built in either right or left hand versions.  This was printed out at 76%, and built more or less as per instructions, but I made the roof section removeable, so I can detail the interior later, and there will be lights in the shop and in the flat above.    I ommited the rear yard and shed for reasons of space, and  I used card that was far too thick for the signs and facade in this scale at the first attempt, so I've altered them to a thinner card, and also gave the shop a new name.

The original Scalescenes download showed the terrace with two-storey party extensions at the rear, but I ommited these because this row were originally intended to form  part of a low relief background - luckily as it transpired, because they would have been too large for this little diorama otherwise. I had to improvise a four flue chimney stack for the centre pair from a scrap of wood, the pots for this and all the others are turned up in the lathe from bits of scrap brass rod.

The roof tiles are printed on self adhesive label paper, then cut into strips and stuck to 0.4mm thick card, trimmed to size and then a moulded paper gutter is glued to the underside, before the whole thing is glued in place on the foam core.  I have always found this far easier than trying to work on the single piece of thick card, and the eaves overhang has a better scale thickness in 3mm scale.

Cheers,  Mike

Edited by Spotlc
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
On 11/11/2020 at 16:40, Spotlc said:

Chips with Everything!   Terrace nearing Completion!

IMG_4251.JPG.9c16db93497b14d1243498de78918a22.JPG

For all sorts of reasons, I didn't take many pics of building the chip shop, but it is just the standard Scalescenes Corner Shop, which has several usage options - chip shop, greengrocer, pub, etc, and can be built in either right or left hand versions.  This was printed out at 76%, and built more or less as per instructions, but I made the roof section removeable, so I can detail the interior later, and there will be lights in the shop and in the flat above.    I ommited the rear yard and shed for reasons of space, and  I used card that was far too thick for the signs and facade in this scale at the first attempt, so I've altered them to a thinner card, and also gave the shop a new name.

The original Scalescenes download showed the terrace with two-storey party extensions at the rear, but I ommited these because this row were originally intended to form  part of a low relief background - luckily as it transpired, because they would have been too large for this little diorama otherwise. I had to improvise a four flue chimney stack for the centre pair from a scrap of wood, the pots for this and all the others are turned up in the lathe from bits of scrap brass rod.

The roof tiles are printed on self adhesive label paper, then cut into strips and stuck to 0.4mm thick card, trimmed to size and then a moulded paper gutter is glued to the underside, before the whole thing is glued in place on the foam core.  I have always found this far easier than trying to work on the single piece of thick card, and the eaves overhang has a better scale thickness in 3mm scale.

Cheers,  Mike

The attention to detail is great - can’t see people painting their prices above the door of shops these days: they change far too often!  Only trouble is, I’d expect to see a queue out of the door?

• 1 month later...

Work on Alma Terrace, (and everything else,) came to an abrupt halt in mid November, when I had a pre - planned operation in the University hospital in Limoges.

All went according to plan, but four days later I had  a massive heart attack!  Long story short - pacemaker fitted, 18 days in intensive care got me bump started again, and I'm now in a recuperation hospital learning to walk again!

Not quite what I had planned for the  festive season, but at least I survived,and although I won't be able to contribute here much for a while, I'll still enjoy reading the various forums.
Cheers, Mike

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• 2 weeks later...

Wrenn, Keith, thank you both for your kind words!  I've only got my phone at the mo, and I don't keep pics on it 'cos they take up too much space, but if I have to stay here much longer I'll get Jan to bring in the laptop so I can post a few more pics.

But, I'm crossing my fingers that it won't be necessary!!

Best, Mike

I should perhaps add that this hospital is in a steeply wooded valley, with a lake at the bottom, and this was the view from my window on Christmas  day morning!

IMG_20201225_084708_9.jpg.9bd94c880763ca96ad86ffe6cde86992.jpg

l have also just seen an Heron dive into the lake for an early lunch, so it's not all bad!!

Mike

Edited by Spotlc
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 1 month later...

So, the wonderful people at the hospital in Sainte Feyre brought me back to something appoaching normality, and after a month of recuperation at home, I can go on with Alma Terrace!

IMG_4267.JPG.426ceeaf1922e6b84d6ca9a03b3806d6.JPG

Keith commented that he was surprised not to see a queue of people outside Terry’s chip shop, and of course there will be later, but meantime there are a few customers inside the shop, and the lady serving and the lass at the chip fryer!

IMG_4263.JPG.a963d332c18006211ce96f6605034ca5.JPG

These had to be put in place before I can fix the building permanently; the figures and units are fixed, but the floor is just placed in position on the tiered base, which was not finished when I took this photo.

IMG_4259.JPG.dfbbf19ee63e8f1782d3d9eb1002dd02.JPG

One of the problems with lighting the interior of buildings is that if they have largish windows they need to have some interior detail visible, and the flat above the shop has windows on two sides, so here is Terry’s mum having a quiet moment on her own! She came originally (unpainted) from China, via eBay, and the Electrolux fridge and 3 piece suite are from Smart Models, who prints them and other interior details in 3mm scale.

Cheers,  Mike

Edited by Spotlc
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2