Southern S15/N15 New project has just arrived.

cypherman

Hi all, My latest project has just arrived. A 1980's N15 Sir Dinadan with a damaged tender. Here a couple of pictures of it as it stands. plus a picture of what I want it to look like. This engine will have 2 tenders. I will repair the original and also add an 8 wheel tender. I have worked out how to attach both with the same fitting. The engine is going to be 746 Pendragon. I know the engine is in BR black but mine will be SR wartime black.

Before I start I just have a couple of questions. This engine is going to be in wartime black. Did SR remove the engine nameplates during the war for safe keeping. Also where did they move the builder/Shed plates to from the cab sides.

Plus I am going to use acrylic paint rather than enamel. I will be brush painting satin black then spraying a matt varnish. Any one have any hints and tips.

Thanks,

S15.jpg

S15t.jpg

black sir dinadan.jpg

Edited by cypherman

Hi all,

As no one seems to be forthcoming with help or advice over what type of paint to use I painted the broken tender body shell with acrylic paint. and I am not impressed. Think I will be going back to enamel paint. :(

Edited by cypherman

40 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

As no one seems to be forthcoming with help or advice over what type of paint to use I painted the broken tender body shell with acrylic paint. and I am not impressed. Think I will be going back to enamel paint. :(

Did you give it a coat of primer first? My locos are brush painted with acrylics over primer

Hi,

The N15 might be my all time favourite Triang model. Something about it is really charming I think. I guess you probably already have your heart set on making it a N15 or S15 but how about an H15? Not attempted often but just an idea.

Acrylic is the best option by far ask anyone on the best paint for models they won't tell you enamel. Never use any paint on any surface without primer! What device did you use to paint it?

Matti

12 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Fantastic model, that! It seems that my Retro-style Models thread inspired you.

My S15 model will be numbered 499 after the preserved example and the proper chimney will be sourced to complete it.

Hi LNWR,

Yes it did inspire me in one respect. It pushed this engine back into my mind. So decided to do it as my current Cowen cranes project was coming to a conclusion. I have been restoring and improving old engines for the past 10 years or so. many of them have been posted here over the past couple of years. Nothing newer than about 30 years old...... :). If you do a search for my posts you should find them. I have restored and repaired every thing from 1950's Triang, Lima, Hornby Dublo and up to 1980's Hornby. I am a great believer that too many engines are sent to the scrap heap because every one wants the latest version of an engine. When with a little bit of work and fun you can get almost as good an engine at a quarter of the cost plus putting a little bit of your own soul into it.

Here are a few of the ones I have done in the recent past.

3mt 2.jpg

A4 Mallard 2.jpg

black hall 8.jpg

buffer prairie 3.jpg

black pririe 3.jpg

DSC_0246.JPG

DSC_0249.JPG

DSC_0550.JPG

DSC_0808.JPG

DSC_0809.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, cypherman said:

Hi LNWR,

Yes it did inspire me in one respect. It pushed this engine back into my mind. So decided to do it as my then current project was coming to a conclusion. i have been restoring and improving old engines for the past 10 years or so. many of them have been posted here over the past couples of years. Nothing newer than about 30 years old...... :). If you do a search for my posts you should find them. I have restored and repaired every thing from 1950's Triang, Lima, Hornby Dublo and upto 1908's Hornby. I am a great believer that too many engines are sent to the scrap heap because every one wants the latest version of an engine. When with a little bit of work and fun you can get almost as good an engine at a quarter of the cost plus putting a little bit of your own soul into it.

Here are a few of the ones I have done in the past.

3mt 2.jpg

A4 Mallard 2.jpg

black hall 8.jpg

buffer prairie 3.jpg

black pririe 3.jpg

DSC_0246.JPG

DSC_0249.JPG

DSC_0550.JPG

DSC_0808.JPG

Well, that's a surprise, I must say! To that, I strongly agree with you.

In fact, I happen to have a Tri-ang Princess Royal that's a static display-onl;y model right now and it's doubtful it'll ever run again no matter how much servicing it needs. Shall I explain all the details to you in PM?

Hi,

Yes let me know what is wrong with the Princess. Never say never. I have had some engines that many would have thrown in the bin. But a bit of persaverance and lateral thinking got them going again.

Edited by cypherman

Hi all,

Well the repaint and upgrading of Sir Dinadan is progressing. 6 wheeled tender has been repaired. Loco body and tenders have been repainted. Started repainting the wheels on the chassis. I hate panting wheels but it has to be done as they are green and the engine is black. Have just ordered the etched brass nameplates for Pendragon from Modelmasters. Once they have arrived I can put all the transfers on. It will just needs spraying with matt varnish. I have added lamp brackets and vacuum pipes to both the engine and tenders. Plus have made some code discs. Put brake/water scoop handles on the 6 wheeled tender and added real coal. Shortened the 8 wheel tenders coupling to get a closer fit. Well that's it so far. Pictures to follow.

The problem with the Sir Dinadan is it is a Eastern Section Arthur with a six wheel tender which means it has short cab sides.

The H15 and S15 had long cab sides which reach down  lower to match the Bogie Tenders and the larger six wheel tenders. 

My Triang based S15 has a Bachmann LN tender backdated  but the tender and loco don't match and it annoys me.   The beast has a Wrenn R1 0-6-0 chassis Hornby Dublo Duchess Cylinders and valve gear and Romford wheels.  It don't look great but it pulls.. like a train.

See Pics from 2011 of "Sir Brian"  since retired,  and the S15 very much still in use.   The S15 ran with a Schools tender at one stage, same problem as the 8 wheeler.

shed 17 nov George 015.jpg

June 2011 shed repaint17.jpg

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

The problem with the Sir Dinadan is it is a Eastern Section Arthur with a six wheel tender which means it has short cab sides.

The H15 and S15 had long cab sides which reach down  lower to match the Bogie Tenders and the larger six wheel tenders. 

My Triang based S15 has a Bachmann LN tender backdated  but the tender and loco don't match and it annoys me.   The beast has a Wrenn R1 0-6-0 chassis Hornby Dublo Duchess Cylinders and valve gear and Romford wheels.  It don't look great but it pulls.. like a train.

Hi David,

I know about the lower 8 wheeled tender such a shame about that, Hence the reason it is getting 2 tenders. The 8 and 6 wheeled ones.

Hi all,

Here are couple of pictures to show how far I have got.

Wheels are painted.

6 wheel tender repaired.

Both tenders have been painted and transfers added.

6 wheel tender has had water scoop/brake handles added.

brake pipes added to both engine and 6 wheel tender

Coupling hooks added to engine and 6 wheel tender.

Lamp brackets added to engine.

Engine number applied to front buffer beam( A hell of a fiddly job).

Everything painted black.

New tender coupling made to fit the Hall drawbar.

Real coal in 6 wheel tender. Unable to replace coal in the 8 wheeled tender due to it being a once piece body shell.

train type discs made and fitted for the moment.

Just waiting for the name plates and to number the cab sides. then a coat of matt varnish.

DSC_0916.JPG

DSC_0917.JPG

DSC_0918.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

See Pics from 2011 of "Sir Brian"  since retired,  and the S15 very much still in use.   The S15 ran with a Schools tender at one stage, same problem as the 8 wheeler.

shed 17 nov George 015.jpg

June 2011 shed repaint17.jpg

Hi David you said the S15 is running on an R1 chassis but what is under the green one?

Matti

That looks a lot like the original Hornby N15 chassis. Especially with the height difference between the tender and the footplate of the engine as mentioned earlier.

Just to let you all know.

The transfers are by Fox.

Coupling hooks and vacuum pipes are by Wizard models.

lamp brackets are from a brass fret set by Silver Tay models.

Paint is Humbrol enamel satin black.

The Matt varnish when applied will be a Humbrol one made specifically for enamel paint.

Edited by cypherman

10 hours ago, Matti8 said:

Hi David you said the S15 is running on an R1 chassis but what is under the green one?

Matti

The green one is on a standard Hornby Sir Dinadan chassis but with Flying Scotsman wheels 27mm instead of 24mm and Hornby  cylinders and valve gear which I think came from a Tender drive Black 5.    It was done 20 or maybe 30 years ago.

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidCBroad said:

The green one is on a standard Hornby Sir Dinadan chassis but with Flying Scotsman wheels 27mm instead of 24mm and Hornby  cylinders and valve gear which I think came from a Tender drive Black 5.    It was done 20 or maybe 30 years ago.

Hi David,

Out of curiosity why did you put bigger wheels on as the original wheels were to tall.

12 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi David,

Out of curiosity why did you put bigger wheels on as the original wheels were to tall.

The Green one is an N15 King Arthur which should have 6ft 7"  or there abouts wheels so the Scotsman wheels were the nearest I had in my scrap box.  They may be 26mm come to think of it  This was before the Markits 3/16th "Triang" axles and Romford wheels over 22mm always seemed to work loose or it would have had Romfords. 

The short cab ex Eastern section Arthrs were used with bogie tenders in their last days on the Wesern Section

Black one is the S15, the wheelbase isn't right but the unequal spacing looked better to me, even though it meant part of the motor in the cab.  Its return crank has slipped round in the pic.   The crossheads were filed from brass blanks AKA 13 amp plug pins.  Never again.     

Hi all,

Well nearly there. Some pictures now I have put everything together for the moment. Just waiting for the nameplates to arrive. As stated i have done 2 different tenders for this engine. Will do a separate post when it is finished. But just this for now.

DSC_0919.JPG

DSC_0920.JPG

DSC_0921.JPG

DSC_0922.JPG

DSC_0923.JPG

DSC_0924.JPG

• Like 3

Here is the finished engine. I did do a separate post for the finished engine. But decided to post it in this thread as well. just in case some one thought the second post was just a copy of this one. The picture show the engine with both it's tenders.

It has had:

Full repaint.

Modelmaster Jackson Evans Pendragon name boards

Fox SR transfers( The ones designed for black engines)

Silver Tay brass lamp brackets

51L UC004 Universal End Mounted Upright Vacuum Pipes used on the engine and 6 wheeled tender

51L UC003 Dummy Coupling Hooks used on the engine and 6 wheeled tender

Markits M3 M4Hbwstb Water Scoop Standard Turned Brass for the 6 wheeled tender

Replacement engine/tender drawbar. Got rid of the plastic abomination put on by Hornby with one from the Triang Hall. 

Obtained a Bachmann Lord Nelson tender and modified tender connecting hook to connect to the new drawbar. The one on it was far too long

Repaired the original 6 wheeled tender that came with the engine

Real coal in 6 wheeled tender. Could not put coal in the 8 wheeled tender as it was a one piece moulding and I did not relish hacking out the original coal.

White engine train boards were scratch built out of plasticard. Quite easy really. Used a hole punch to make them.... 

To be honest the hardest part was applying the transfers to the front buffer beam. Very fiddly and they only just fitted.

I have not managed to spray the engine with matt varnish yet due to turning of the weather. I have to spray in a shed in the garden and it is too damp to do that at present. Alas no power for heating or light. Might have to wait until next spring depending on the weather. Such is life's little foibles. other than that it is finished. At present it just looks like it is freshly outshopped from LSWR, Eastleigh in June 1922.

DSC_0925.JPG

DSC_0926.JPG

DSC_0927.JPG

DSC_0930.JPG

DSC_0929.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1