Model caravan - identification sought

Neil

• RMweb Premium

I've found this image of a 4mm (ish I believe) model caravan. Despite a spell of googling I can't work out who made/makes it or what it's based on.

caravan.jpg.43613935a087e3de46102b36f326f57f.jpg

Can anyone help me identify the model and hopefully the prototype too.

Thank you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As a caravanner as well as a modeller, I can tell you that many UK caravan manufacturers have either gone out of business over the years, or been consumed into larger groups, although some of the old brand names have resurfaced under the new ownership. What I can say is that if that is an accurate model,  it isn’t based on a British prototype. If it was, the door would be on the left of the caravan, ie the side facing the camera in your photo. So that makes it harder for UK enthusiasts to identify. The big European brands (as it most likely is European) are Knauss, Hobby, Adria, Dethleff etc. More than that I cannot say.

Incidentally, I have a couple of caravans on my layout, different to your photo, and I have no idea what they are either.

Edited by ITG
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

They did that one in 1:160 scale too. Being plastic it shouldn't be too hard to put a new door on the correct side and fill the other (perhaps modifying in part to a small window?). Caravans came in all kinds of sizes. As long as it is tall enough to actually stand in it could work. If not then maybe convert it into a 'pop-up' type in collasped form.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1