Fusion360 - features being reduced

And now they've changed your mind, and STEP file export won't be getting removed from Personal Licenses

I don't know how anyone can find TurboCAD easy for 3D - I've spent years trying to get to grips with it, and never managed it. You need Pro Platinum now to be able to do solid modelling, and I'm now only on 2019 Pro, which I use to do the 2D stuff Fusion 360 can't manage. Word of warning, get an older WIndows 7 machine if you want to use TurboCAD, it does not like Win10 one little bit, so slow it's like using something from the early 90s. I'm stuck in catch 22 since Fusion requires Win10! 

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

And now they've changed your mind, and STEP file export won't be getting removed from Personal Licenses

I don't know how anyone can find TurboCAD easy for 3D - I've spent years trying to get to grips with it, and never managed it. You need Pro Platinum now to be able to do solid modelling, and I'm now only on 2019 Pro, which I use to do the 2D stuff Fusion 360 can't manage. Word of warning, get an older WIndows 7 machine if you want to use TurboCAD, it does not like Win10 one little bit, so slow it's like using something from the early 90s. I'm stuck in catch 22 since Fusion requires Win10! 

I use TC Deluxe for solid modelling :) And I'm on Windows 10.

It's only slow if you run with rendering on all the time which is quite unnecessary.

Discounts are available:

http://www.cadandgraphics.com

Can't help with why you find it so hard to use. What are you trying to do that's so difficult?

18 hours ago, AndyID said:

I use TC Deluxe for solid modelling :) And I'm on Windows 10.

It's only slow if you run with rendering on all the time which is quite unnecessary.

Discounts are available:

http://www.cadandgraphics.com

Can't help with why you find it so hard to use. What are you trying to do that's so difficult?

You must have a really old version, Solid modelling used to be in Pro around Version 12, now it's Pro Platinum only (since at least 2019 version if not before). As far as I'm aware it has never been available in Deluxe, anything below Pro was surface only. 

7 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

You must have a really old version, Solid modelling used to be in Pro around Version 12, now it's Pro Platinum only (since at least 2019 version if not before). As far as I'm aware it has never been available in Deluxe, anything below Pro was surface only. 

Ah! You meant solid versus surface. I thought you were referring to the ability to produce three dimensional objects :)

Yes, Deluxe only models surfaces but it supports all the methods that were available in the older Pro versions using solid modelling. TBH the difference between surface and solid is probably much more esoteric than most users care to understand. I've used both and I can do everything in the latest Deluxe that I used to do in Pro using solid modelling.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So anyone noticed any change!? The only thing I've noticed is that in the "mirror" command you can no longer select faces/bodies via a dropdown - you can still mirror either, but it chooses which you're trying to do via the mouse, which is annoying!

I had had plans to get the free version of Fusion 360, but this does not make it seem so great. If I were to download it now, would I have the opportunity to opt-out of future updates, or are they compulsory once the app is downloaded?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Justang said:

I had had plans to get the free version of Fusion 360, but this does not make it seem so great. If I were to download it now, would I have the opportunity to opt-out of future updates, or are they compulsory once the app is downloaded?

Thanks

Hi,

Its all compulsory.  You download the app, but it has to connect to Fusion servers every time you load it, both to retrieve your past work (and save changes) and to download updates.  I don't believe there is anyway to save your work locally.  But that hasn't changed with this update, its been the same for the past two or three years that I have been using it.

On 16/10/2020 at 15:19, njee20 said:

So anyone noticed any change!? The only thing I've noticed is that in the "mirror" command you can no longer select faces/bodies via a dropdown - you can still mirror either, but it chooses which you're trying to do via the mouse, which is annoying!

Yep, would agree not noticed much, if anything, so my concerns were unfounded!

Rich

53 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hi,

Its all compulsory.  You download the app, but it has to connect to Fusion servers every time you load it, both to retrieve your past work (and save changes) and to download updates.  I don't believe there is anyway to save your work locally.  But that hasn't changed with this update, its been the same for the past two or three years that I have been using it.

That's a shame. Thanks for the info, that's useful to know. I think I will still consider downloading it.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Paul_in_Ricky said:

Easy enough. You just export the file to your local storage. Similarly you can load files from your own computer too.

Hi Paul,

Oh yes, sorry I was meaning work in progress, not being able to save locally. Yes I agree you can export the file anytime you want.

Rich

10 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Oh yes, sorry I was meaning work in progress, not being able to save locally. Yes I agree you can export the file anytime you want.

I don't see the problem, save = export, you can overwrite if you need the same file name or just use a new file name for versioning. It's only mildly more keystrokes than ctrl+S
As you've got to be connected to the internet to use the program it seems bizarre not to just take advantage of the cloud option anyway. Finished projects can be archived via export if you really don't trust Autodesk.

Edited by Paul_in_Ricky

So I have 2 projects, folders within them with 10s of designs and parts (components used in mutliple designs).

Now you aren't allowed projects. I can't now move any of the "files" to the top level, my only option appears to be to export each individual file. I don't think I can export stuff in bulk?

As it stands I can't do anything with the software. I can't even start a new design. A right pain:sad_mini:

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, The Great Bear said:

So I have 2 projects, folders within them with 10s of designs and parts (components used in mutliple designs).

Now you aren't allowed projects. I can't now move any of the "files" to the top level, my only option appears to be to export each individual file. I don't think I can export stuff in bulk?

As it stands I can't do anything with the software. I can't even start a new design. A right pain:sad_mini:

I'm using the free license. I've got eight projects and I can still open all of them and the folders and files in them. I can also create a new one using the Data Panel.

I don't really see anything different to how it's always been.

Al

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Al51 said:

I'm using the free license. I've got eight projects and I can still open all of them and the folders and files in them. I can also create a new one using the Data Panel.

I don't really see anything different to how it's always been.

Al

Ah, right. Got it now, thanks, following your prompt; I'd misunderstood what it was meaning by "term has expired", I thought that was related to the changes in the licensing as opposed to my free license needing renewal. Duh. I've now done that so I'll see how I get on with it.