Ravensclyffe

Dagworth

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, St. Simon said:

It clearly worked Mike, it’s a quite a procedure now!

Simon

Good!   During the operational (in the factory) testing a whole series of axle counter sections were dropped for me  -  as the guinea pig Signalman -  to reset.  And  even the ergonomist who was studying how easy it was for me, as a 'Signalman', to learn and operate the vdu control 'panel was amazed at how simply and quickly I could reset the whole lot by readily shortening part of the process (which was easy to do and wouldn't show up on the auto logging as anything unusual).  

I have come across a similar vdu based operating system where resets are very easy (too easy in my view) although the system automatically logs them but it isn't on NR infrastructure and most of the controlled area is visible if you care to look out of the window.   There have never been any problems on that site but if I ever meet up with the chap who designed it I'll be telling him what I think of his effort. (he isn't an NR signal engineer and never has been so don't get too worried about him ;)  and I've been acquainted with him for a long while ).

There are many solutions

Why not have a shunt move onto the down main then you could access the main yard from the goods loop ( extra operational interest)

If you are intending to have signalled movements :

move 1) signal 13 to the behind  signal 2

move 2)signal  13 to  behind ground position signal 3

Then you could have  be a lunar 1 on signal 13 for move 2.

For move 1 Also a limit of shunt signal on the down main

the limit of shunt is required as you need to define how far the driver can travel wrong direction on the down main, the suggested position of the shunt limit is way to the left of signal 2,  you would not want to stop a train on the barrier level crossing,and, you would need to take account of strike in/strike out train operated treadles which are part of the operating circuits  of the barrier crossing

Edited by Pandora

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

There were two 3 aspect signals at Stoke station but the rest were - as you say - four aspect on the passenger lines.  Coincidentally I did the initial, factory based, operator testing on the VH desktop type control which replaced the original panel at Stoke. - and castigated severely the very lax way in which it was (at that time) possible to reset failed axle counter sections to 'clear' - just two clicks on the mouse.

I have one track circuit that is the trigger for a polarity reversing section* that will occasionally lock up and fail to clear. The only way to release it was to turn off DCC track power. I now have a release option on the VDU panel that will remotely reset the track circuit without needing to drop track power.

*Ravensclyffe has three sections that need to change polarity under trains due to the fiddle yards and the MGR loading line being balloon loops, these work using relays that are fired when the last track circuit in the reversing section becomes occupied. When that happens the entire reversing section (which in one instance is 8 track circuits long) becomes part of the trigger section - and the section approaching the reversed polarity goes high-impedance to prevent a train approching if it passes the protecting signal). The whole length of the reverse section can be leaky enough to keep showing occupied if the atmospheric conditions mean there is slight damp in the ballast.

Andi

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Pandora said:

you would not want to stop a train on the barrier level crossing,and, you would need to take account of strike in/strike out train operated treadles which are part of the operating circuits  of the barrier crossing

The crossing, being full barriers, is controlled manually from the local signal box.

Andi

2 hours ago, Dagworth said:

The crossing, being full barriers, is controlled manually from the local signal box.

Andi

Hi Andi,

You would technically still have treadles that would be annunciators for the signaller so that they can operate the barriers at the correct time, but that detail is not really needed for a model.

Simon

• 1 month later...