GWR/Western Region Island Platform Station Layout

I can't see any value in the bottom right siding, too short and close to the edge I would have thought.

The point made by Keith about control is really more a DCC thing than DC.  You can plug a DC controller into a Stereo jack plug or six anywhere on the layout and watch and operate from anywhere on the layout.   You can do the same with DCC controlling from your phone but most folk don't and end up with something like mission control from the Thunderbirds TV program of the 1960.  It needs thinking about or you will get a lot of exercise and or fed up walking around the layout incessantly.

For getting something running those cheap OO battery locos which come in sets with a circle of track and couple of wagons for £5 are great, the locos pull a couple of full length coaches and are great for testing clearances and making sure the stock runs through the pointwork before you get too much ballast down.   If I had the cash I would go Radio Control....

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Starter layout

Hi,

See link above (hopefully it works).

Way back I dipped my foot back into model railways with a layout the same size as yours - it does not have a island platform - but utilises curved set-track points and code 100 track. I also wanted one half scenic and one half for storage.

It obviously stretches reality a bit - but provided hours of fun - building and operating.

It might provide you with some useful information.

all the best,

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi James, have just spent an interesting hour or two looking at your layout. I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed reading its history and the progress you have made. Your scenic work is fantastic and I only hope that when I get to this stage my efforts can emulate your standards. I have found it truly inspirational and it really has spurred me on to progress with my own layout.

Regards, Bill

• Thanks 1
  • RMweb Gold
On 20/11/2020 at 11:29, puffingbilly51 said:

Hi James, have just spent an interesting hour or two looking at your layout. I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed reading its history and the progress you have made. Your scenic work is fantastic and I only hope that when I get to this stage my efforts can emulate your standards. I have found it truly inspirational and it really has spurred me on to progress with my own layout.

Regards, Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for that, much appreciated, there is something about a roundie! Although I've not done one since!

I'm glad it has provided you with some ideas and inspiration....I look forward to seeing your efforts.

All the best,

James

• Thanks 1