Modern Locomotives Illustrated not to cease publication

Ogauge83A

Just a heads up, I’ve spoken to Colin this evening and the MLI magazine is not to finish publication from Issue 246 as stated on another topic. The note on the website re not taking any more subscribers was due to the fact that the magazine was being transferred to another publisher but this is not happening now and the product is staying with Key Publishing.

regards

Antony

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

Hi

This is excellent news indeed.  Thanks for posting this. My intentions were not to mislead anybody by posting incorrect info so my apologies for doing so and thanks to Antony for being able to clear it up.

The announcement is still on the Key Publishing subscribe to MLI section:

"IMPORTANT NOTICE
This title will end with the December/January issue (on-sale 26 November 2020). As as a result, subscriptions are no longer available. All existing subscribers will be contacted shortly regarding their account."

Is Colin able to contact Key to get this message altered to reflect your message as it is potentially misleading?

Thanks again

Natalie 

PS Has my original topic been deleted- if so thank you.

• RMweb Premium

Someone just posted on Facebook this morning a letter received from the publishers that MLI is finishing in January so if this is incorrect, unfortunately the same information is still circulating. 

• RMweb Premium

Just thinking out loud as I read this, are there many more modern locomotives left to illustrate? Some of the more recent ones seemed to be clutching at straws somewhat, whereas earlier ones (despite a few errors) were generally very good and informative. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 26/09/2020 at 18:06, JDW said:

Just thinking out loud as I read this, are there many more modern locomotives left to illustrate? Some of the more recent ones seemed to be clutching at straws somewhat, whereas earlier ones (despite a few errors) were generally very good and informative. 

I guess that there could be a case for exports and industrials - the likes of Brush and Clayton Engineering are still building locomotives - but I guess the appeal could be to a different audience that the regular MLI following.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, John M Upton said:

Amid all the mixed messages, did we ever conclude if publication was ceasing or not?

There will be no more issues from the current publisher, think that's all we've established as a fact.

• RMweb Premium

If the MRI back catalogue was produced as a CD or DVD-ROM it would be really useful as a reference work.Many early issues long unavailable.

Dava 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2020 at 18:37, Dava said:

If the MRI back catalogue was produced as a CD or DVD-ROM it would be really useful as a reference work.Many early issues long unavailable.

Dava 

Available on that well known auction site as PDF's if any use to you?

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

247 issues in, how much more diesel and electric coverage can there be that isn't going over the same stuff again.

It's not like Yeadon did a complete directory of every LNER locomotive, then got to the end and started with the A1s again but this time with foldy out pages, more adverts and fleet updates.

• Agree 3

13 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

247 issues in, how much more diesel and electric coverage can there be that isn't going over the same stuff again.

That probably explains the rebrand, make people think it's new. Subscription has now ended anyway so will probably buy 247 and no more. Bit miffed with Key that the free bonus never showed up.

10 hours ago, woodenhead said:

It's not like Yeadon did a complete directory of every LNER locomotive, then got to the end and started with the A1s again but this time with foldy out pages, more adverts and fleet updates.

Until issue 170 the magazine was known as Locomotives Illustrated with only one of those dealing with a diesel- the Deltics  (no 19 I think).

MLI started from Issue 171 with class 37s.

I feel that there is so much more that can be covered. The obvious one is to update the previous issue's subjects as they have been doing subtitled 'The New Era.'

A number of the subjects only really received scant coverage- such as BR first generation DMUs and the Southern emus. Expansion of the subjects would be welcome.

Coaching stock is another area as is wagons.

Maybe being even more radical how about non BR traction such as that belonging to LT, DLR, Metrolink, Tyne and Wear Metro... Metropolitan Electric locomotives sounds good to me...

Essentially if there are no more subjects left to cover, then Colin won't be able to write them. He and Key obviously believe that there is still mileage in the magazine for which I am really pleased.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Coaches and Wagons in a magazine named Modern 'Locomotives' Illustrated?  That would make a good magazine I agree but not under that current title.

I am sure there is lots to cover and re-cover, but it does get to the point where there is less new and more repeating the past.

The magazine has not been for me in a long time, I judiciously collected them and apart from a few older BRM they form the only paper magazines I still possess but to me it ran out of fuel (I could say steam lol) a long time ago.

I get that other people still want the magazine and there is a market, otherwise Key would not be publishing.

• Like 2

On 24/11/2020 at 09:59, woodenhead said:

Coaches and Wagons in a magazine named Modern 'Locomotives' Illustrated?  That would make a good magazine I agree but not under that current title.

I am sure there is lots to cover and re-cover, but it does get to the point where there is less new and more repeating the past.

The magazine has not been for me in a long time, I judiciously collected them and apart from a few older BRM they form the only paper magazines I still possess but to me it ran out of fuel (I could say steam lol) a long time ago.

I get that other people still want the magazine and there is a market, otherwise Key would not be publishing.

I have twenty one of them on my bookshelves, only the most relevant to me, but looking at 179 "the class 40s" I  realise I didn't buy 180 which was part 1 of the class 47. Might try and pick that up as a back issue maybe.

In my view the classes should have been split up much further, if only to provide much more photographic "evidence".  I would happily have bought an edition each of 24, 25, 26 and 27.    

31 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I have twenty one of them on my bookshelves, only the most relevant to me, but looking at 179 "the class 40s" I  realise I didn't buy 180 which was part 1 of the class 47. Might try and pick that up as a back issue maybe.

In my view the classes should have been split up much further, if only to provide much more photographic "evidence".  I would happily have bought an edition each of 24, 25, 26 and 27.    

I think sometimes the pooling of classes demonstrated the difficultly in producing enough solid content for a single class per issue - but when it came to things like DMU or EMU families it meant some got very little attention.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread about coaching stock and freight stock - that surely is an obvious target for a part work series - Looking at Paul Barlett's Flickr site or Clive Mortimore's cut and shuts shows the variations in rolling stock - I for one did not know about the Mark 1 mini buffets converted from old Mk1 BSOs till seeing one in Clive's thread.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I think sometimes the pooling of classes demonstrated the difficultly in producing enough solid content for a single class per issue - but when it came to things like DMU or EMU families it meant some got very little attention.

That always was the problem in the pre 'modern' versions. A lot of issues had a multitude of classes, perhaps by wheel arrangement. An example being No. 121, which was LNWR 2-4-0's, 2-2-2's and 2-2-2-2's. This included various compound and non compound locomotives.

I thought Locomotives illustrated was quite good when it started to run out of the 'enthusiast favourite' loco classes, and started tackling random stuff. For example, there was a really good issue on NCC locos towards the end. That kind of thing is more interesting (at least to me) than 'here's another 20 class 66 liveries that have appeared since the last issue on class 66s'. 

• Agree 2

I purchased all MLI issues for 'First Generation' motive power - basically anything which originally ran with a D prefix, and associated subjects - any beyond this would have been a waste of money in my case. Except (there's always one.....) HST Part 1, cos you have to admire the HST! I haven't bothered with any 'New Era' updates. Personally I'm relieved there are no more to come of interest to me, as my three plastic filing boxes are full and wouldn't take another issue!

I used to get my Brian Haresnape 'BR Fleet Survey' books out for reference during modelling projects, but these days it's more likely to be the MLI series.