Modern Locomotives Illustrated not to cease publication

Ogauge83A

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure that coaches or wagons would have a broad enough appeal for somthing that has to sell itself on the shelves of WHSmiths. I haven't bought one for quite a while, I bought some that were relevant to my modelling interests but some of the recent ones seemed little more than, as someone said above, 'here's another few dozen class 66 liveries', without any real substance beyond what I could find in a 30-second Google search. I think you can have too much of a good thing somethimes, and would rather see it diversify into more obscure things than just re-hash the same theme over and over. Whether that be narrow gauge, overseas, I don't know, but for me, it was the interesting content that sold it to me, whether that be details or historic images rather than images I could find in the latest Rail or RE 

• 3 weeks later...

I think they need to go back and cover some of the topics in more detail. For example, the GE EMU one does not cover the large scale refurbishment or reforming of sets, like the 3 car 305 that had a extra coach inserted to make them 4 car units.

Or there is all the SR EMU that were moved about because of the compartments.

Or Al the first gen DMUs.

• 1 month later...

The 'final' issue No 247 covering the IET Class 800 - 10 types has made it onto the shelves of my local WH Smiths. Inside it carries more details of the new MLIPlus version which will be available in March - it would appear that it is to be more of a broader subject magazine with the first covering the following subjects:

Western diesels through Devon

Push Pull 47/7s in Scotland

The Southern 'Deltic' Fleet; The 4REP Story

Cornish China Clay

Barrier & Translator Vehicles

The Soller Railway

Fitted or Unfitted, Air or Vacuum brakes

1st Generation 'Bubble' Cars

The Forgotten GB Railfreight Fleet

'Through the Lens' Photography Section

The write up states it will cater for railway modellers but I don't think in my case it will be a regular purchase.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

I wouldn't complain if they did revisit some of the earlier subjects.  The first gen DMU could be expanded a lot further, just look at the railcar website for examples, and the mk1 EMU throws up some magnificent variations in the 80s, what with reformation, refurbishment and withdrawal.

I'm sure there are other subjects that could do with expanding.

Or if they are targeting it as more of a modeling reference type publication, what about coaches? I always remember the South trans Pennine with the 31 and early mk2 could throw up some wonderful combinations. I always remember one journey back from Manchester to Sheffield at rush hour, first three coaches the normal PV full, and the last coach a intercity liveried mk2d, red hot summer and we had the air con coach virtually to our selves as it was marked as first class.

Edited by cheesysmith
Spelling
  • Like 2

On 28/01/2021 at 19:24, SP Steve said:

The 'final' issue No 247 covering the IET Class 800 - 10 types has made it onto the shelves of my local WH Smiths. Inside it carries more details of the new MLIPlus version which will be available in March - it would appear that it is to be more of a broader subject magazine with the first covering the following subjects:

Cornish China Clay

The Soller Railway

The write up states it will cater for railway modellers but I don't think in my case it will be a regular purchase.

I have bought the title very sparingly over the years, only if the subject specifically interested me.

That proposed list of subject matter is very eclectic, and would probably put me off as there would be too much of no interest to me.

Taking Cheesysmith's suggestion of expanding previously covered subjects, several of those listed above could almost fill an issue, Or perhaps two, or three, subjects with a similar theme would work. Say Westerns through Devon with Cornish China Clay, and perhaps Cardiff to Portsmouth loco-hauled, would make a WR based edition (other Regions are available) - I would buy that.

cheers  

Edited by Rivercider
spelling

The good thing about LI and MLI is that they form a easy to use reference, have mine batched together by railway company or, in the case of D &E by type. The new MLI+ really does not attract so after 247 issues (some bought second hand) the final purchase was made yesterday.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Wouldnt mind a re run of some of the early ones, 40's, 37's etc going for 25 quid on Ebay. Would be good to get a 'complete' print set of the modern ones as I was a bit late jumping on these, very handy and informative mags

It may not be your thing, but the digital versions are currently available from Pocketmags for 99p each.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Nile said:

It may not be your thing, but the digital versions are currently available from Pocketmags for 99p each.

They are fine for me but my Dad is one of them chaps that likes full collections of mags. I think we may need to re inforce his floors!

Cheers Nike

James

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Nile said:

I filled some of the gaps in the virtual bookcase earlier this morning, never a waste.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I filled some of the gaps in the virtual bookcase earlier this morning, never a waste.

Same here, just noticed there are 99p specials on many other magazines including Traction and Back Track.

Edited by spamcan61

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/01/2021 at 19:24, SP Steve said:

Cornish China Clay

The Soller Railway

Some of those read like content from the 2 MLI 'Annuals' - which were a bit more diverse

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I do wonder how they can still use the word "modern" whilst describing stuff that's 50+ years old? Bah Humbug!

Do you not think that it is just a simplistic term used to distinguish between diesel and steam?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BoD said:

Do you not think that it is just a simplistic term used to distinguish between diesel and steam?

Unfortunately - yes.

There are steam locomotives running in this country that are younger than a lot of diesel (and electric) traction.

Now there's an idea for one edition.

MLI - steam special.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/03/2021 at 15:32, LaGrange said:

New version now announced

https://www.modernlocomotives.co.uk/

On 24/03/2021 at 19:16, newbryford said:

I do wonder how they can still use the word "modern" whilst describing stuff that's 50+ years old?

Well, the BR Modernisation Plan was post war, wasn't it?

(Yes - I know - anything post-1950 was described as "modern image" at one point - but quite a few people here probably hadn't even been born then!) 

On 24/03/2021 at 19:43, BoD said:

On 24/03/2021 at 20:45, caradoc said:

Not only is the subject matter not 'modern', it doesn't always feature 'locomotives' either ! But as BoD says, just a quick and simple descriptor.

Fair comment.

In theory, they could have called it something like "Diesel & Electric Motive Power Illustrated" - or even "Modernisation Plan Compatible Locomotives, Railcars and Multiple Units" - but I think "MLI" or "MLI Plus" probably rolls off the tongue slightly easier.

On 24/03/2021 at 21:51, newbryford said:

There are steam locomotives running in this country that are younger than a lot of diesel (and electric) traction.

Now there's an idea for one edition.

MLI - steam special.

Could be interesting - and a title like this sounds much more "customer friendly" than something like "Postwar Kettles Illustrated"*.

(*Other titles also available.)

Huw.