Which Kit for a novice to build

figworthy

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking for a 0-6-0 industrial steam loco to build in OO, and it will be my first OO loco build.  The loco would need to run under DCC.

Having had a rummage around, the following three appear to be the sort of thing that I'm after (in no particular order)

High Level Andrew Barclay 18"

Judith Edge Hunslet 15"

Judith Edge Hunslet 16"

Adrian

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

We do the Hunslet 14" 0-6-0ST as well - all three in stock at the moment. No difference in build difficulty between them but i think the 14" is the prettiest.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unless I'm going mad, I can't see a reference to the 14" on your website.

For what I have in mind (moving Iron Ore tipplers or hoppers to/from exchange sidings) the 14" would probably have been a bit under powered.  My readings on the subject suggest that this would have been done by the larger locos.

Adrian

The 16” and 15” were perhaps more common in the ore fields but there were plenty of 0-4-0 tanks as well so no reason why the 14” wouldn’t have been around as well, particularly in earlier years.

Personally I’d opt for the 16”, the pair at Nassington Quarry were always favourites with me and the JE Kit makes up into a lovely model though I can’t say how easy they are to build, mine came partly completed and only needed minor finishing work.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Have a look at CSP Models as well they have a good section. I have built a couple of their kits and they were both well designed and straight forward to build. CSP have also given me excellent customer service.

Brian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, figworthy said:

For what I have in mind (moving Iron Ore tipplers or hoppers to/from exchange sidings) the 14" would probably have been a bit under powered.  My readings on the subject suggest that this would have been done by the larger locos.

Adrian

You're not wrong - it's not there! The website is long overdue for updating anyway but it might explain rather poor sales for the 14" so far. It's the same price as the other two HE saddle tanks. All three types were fairly popular with collieries but the 16" might have been preferred for heavier work. The 15" type was often built for stock when work was slack between the wars.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, figworthy said:

Adrian

This is the 14" type, Mersey Docks had two of them but there were plenty more (one - Brookes No.1 - iis preserved at Middleton)

DSCF3955.JPG.10444e755e1b1f1d5c4af71f20adaa73.JPG

MD&HB No 14 was built from the test etch.

• Like 4

The big scunny hunslet is a good kit from Mike's range, I've built the 14inch hunslet too both nice kits. The hunslet is very small so might be a bit trickier for a first kit.

20200119_082233.jpg.3de171d9af443d1addc4ddbb9153edd8.jpg

Whilst I'm not trying to put you off have you built many things in brass? Might be worth starting with a humble wagon to learn the basics of working with brass.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rhb Simon said:

The big scunny hunslet is a good kit from Mike's range, I've built the 14inch hunslet too both nice kits. The hunslet is very small so might be a bit trickier for a first kit.

Whilst I'm not trying to put you off have you built many things in brass? Might be worth starting with a humble wagon to learn the basics of working with brass.

Not sure on this perfect logic. Without wanting to critisise any kit, I have found brass wagons and coaches far more fiddly than a good basic loco kit. The reason being that the devil is in the detail and brass wagons come with lots of detail. No reason not to start with a loco that has been recommended by other builders.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I started with a brass horse-box and Comet coach before progressing to a loco. The first loco was mostly white-metal so building the brass kits didn't really help much!!! I think the only difference really is practicing on and potentially messing up a £20-30 wagon is a much easier pill to swallow than messing up a £100+ loco kit.

The one thing I struggle with it getting sufficient pick-up for the decoder on a DCC kit-built chassis. They are much more sensitive than analogue and I often have to add pick ups to a tender, make sure the wheels turn with zero resistance and add much more weight to the loco. I also ensure every part of the wheels/track are super-clean, otherwise they run really rough (but run fine on analogue without a decoder). I will be interested to see how you get on and how you manage it as I still haven't mastered it even after 10+ loco's. 

Looking forward to seeing the build progress

Ian

Edited by ianLMS

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Rhb Simon said:

That looks a nice job, but I suspect it is too modern for my requirements (late 50s - mid 60s), whereas most steam locos (and some diesels) would fit the period.

I take your point on humble wagons, to date I've built one, which does run (!).  I need to keep my eyes open for kits which would work in with my requirements, that way I can end up with something that will get run.

8 hours ago, ianLMS said:

I started with a brass horse-box and Comet coach before progressing to a loco. The first loco was mostly white-metal so building the brass kits didn't really help much!!! I think the only difference really is practicing on and potentially messing up a £20-30 wagon is a much easier pill to swallow than messing up a £100+ loco kit.

The one thing I struggle with it getting sufficient pick-up for the decoder on a DCC kit-built chassis. They are much more sensitive than analogue and I often have to add pick ups to a tender, make sure the wheels turn with zero resistance and add much more weight to the loco. I also ensure every part of the wheels/track are super-clean, otherwise they run really rough (but run fine on analogue without a decoder). I will be interested to see how you get on and how you manage it as I still haven't mastered it even after 10+ loco's. 

Looking forward to seeing the build progress

Ian

Problem with a tank loco is not having a tender to get extra pickups.

Progress is likely to be slow.  Regardless of when I buy a kit, I would expect it to be well into next year before any work is done.

Adrian

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 19/09/2020 at 21:30, figworthy said:

I'm looking for a 0-6-0 industrial steam loco to build in OO, and it will be my first OO loco build.  The loco would need to run under DCC.

Having had a rummage around, the following three appear to be the sort of thing that I'm after (in no particular order)

High Level Andrew Barclay 18"

Judith Edge Hunslet 15"

Judith Edge Hunslet 16"

Adrian

Adrian

In the title you mention  "Kit for novice to build" I think really before someone can recommend some kits with confidence they need to know what level of skills and what kits you have bought in the past.

You and others have mentioned 3 superb kit Manufactures, Judith Edge, CSP and High Level. The former two I have kits in the to build pile and I have 2 built High Level chassis. All 3 of the highest quality, the latter of more complicated prototypes

With etched kits the simple question is, how good are you at soldering.  

What is a positive is the help available on this site from some very talented members, and certainly help will be available  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, hayfield said:

You and others have mentioned 3 superb kit Manufactures, Judith Edge, CSP and High Level. The former two I have kits in the to build pile and I have 2 built High Level chassis. All 3 of the highest quality, the latter of more complicated prototypes

I would agree, these are all excellent quality kits and have examples from Judith Edge and High Level on my roster, with a couple more Judith Edge kits waiting to be built (one of which is one of the Hunslet 0-6-0STs).

If you wanted something a bit more straightforward, however, you could consider the resin body kits by Hardy's Hobbies - https://hardyshobbies.co.uk/product-category/locomotive-body-kits/ and Railway Mania - https://www.railwaymania.net/shop (also here - 

These resin kits tend to utilise RTR chassis, which might simplify matters for a beginner.

I've not built any of these resin kits myself yet, but they do look tempting.

There is, however, a lot of satisfaction as well, in building an etched brass kit.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hayfield said:

Adrian

In the title you mention  "Kit for novice to build" I think really before someone can recommend some kits with confidence they need to know what level of skills and what kits you have bought in the past.

What is a positive is the help available on this site from some very talented members, and certainly help will be available  

And the answer is: not as good as you will be when you finish. There have been several excellent threads on soldering skills, a complete soldering iron kit can be had for under £25 and etched kits contain plenty of scrap to practice on, what is there not to like!

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, hayfield said:

Adrian

John,

To date, I've built 1 00-9 loco (in nickel silver), 1 wagon (in brass) and one of the Scale Four lever frames.  In addition I've played around with odd bits.  I'm under no illusion that I'm at the bottom end of the learning curve.

The plan (such as it is) is to identify a likely kit, the three I mentioned fit the criteria (reasonably powerful 0-6-0), other suggestions are welcome (I'm already aware of the RTR offerings).  Once selected, it will probably be bought, and then put into store (kits can go out of production), and in the mean time, I'll be looking for suitable wagon kits (either late GWR/early BR or suitable for an Ironstone quarry - suggestions welcome) and use those to make some progress up that learning curve.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I would agree, these are all excellent quality kits and have examples from Judith Edge and High Level on my roster, with a couple more Judith Edge kits waiting to be built (one of which is one of the Hunslet 0-6-0STs).

If you wanted something a bit more straightforward, however, you could consider the resin body kits by Hardy's Hobbies - https://hardyshobbies.co.uk/product-category/locomotive-body-kits/ and Railway Mania - https://www.railwaymania.net/shop (also here - 

These resin kits tend to utilise RTR chassis, which might simplify matters for a beginner.

I've not built any of these resin kits myself yet, but they do look tempting.

There is, however, a lot of satisfaction as well, in building an etched brass kit.

I can see that appeal of buying a body to fit to an existing chassis, but (unless I'm missing something) you have to buy a complete RTR loco, and then discard the body, which seems a bit of a waste.

Adrian

1 hour ago, figworthy said:

John,

To date, I've built 1 00-9 loco (in nickel silver), 1 wagon (in brass) and one of the Scale Four lever frames.  In addition I've played around with odd bits.  I'm under no illusion that I'm at the bottom end of the learning curve.

The plan (such as it is) is to identify a likely kit, the three I mentioned fit the criteria (reasonably powerful 0-6-0), other suggestions are welcome (I'm already aware of the RTR offerings).  Once selected, it will probably be bought, and then put into store (kits can go out of production), and in the mean time, I'll be looking for suitable wagon kits (either late GWR/early BR or suitable for an Ironstone quarry - suggestions welcome) and use those to make some progress up that learning curve.

Adrian

Adrian

For me a novice is someone who is just starting out, you have done what perhaps others have suggested in starting something a bit simpler as a first kit

I have done a similar thing in buying a few items for a proposed layout using small steam and diesel locos. I have a couple of Judith Edges diesels, and 2 CSP GWR steam (Avonside SS & Hawthorn Leslie ) kits and an etched chassis for my K's GWR 1366ST. All I can say is I am impressed by all the 4 kits and both companies. As for High Level, Chris is renown for supplying quality items

All three are from excellent companies, I would go with the one you like best. Good luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, figworthy said:

I can see that appeal of buying a body to fit to an existing chassis, but (unless I'm missing something) you have to buy a complete RTR loco, and then discard the body, which seems a bit of a waste.

That's true, but other possibilities could be:

i) sell the RTR body (I think it would probably be taken off your hands quite quickly)

ii) keep the RTR body and build your own chassis for it

iii) keep the RTR body and rotate it on the same chassis as one of the resin kits, thus getting the best of both worlds (as per an article by Phil Parker in the current BRM)

iv) see if anyone will sell you the RTR chassis (I think that High Level said they might produce an etched chassis for the Hornby B2 in due course, so that could result in some RTR chassis becoming available)

However, as others have said, if you've already built even one or two items in brass or N/S, I doubt most of us on here would consider you a 'novice!'

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

20 hours ago, hayfield said:

Adrian

For me a novice is someone who is just starting out, you have done what perhaps others have suggested in starting something a bit simpler as a first kit

I have done a similar thing in buying a few items for a proposed layout using small steam and diesel locos. I have a couple of Judith Edges diesels, and 2 CSP GWR steam (Avonside SS & Hawthorn Leslie ) kits and an etched chassis for my K's GWR 1366ST. All I can say is I am impressed by all the 4 kits and both companies. As for High Level, Chris is renown for supplying quality items

All three are from excellent companies, I would go with the one you like best. Good luck

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

However, as others have said, if you've already built even one or two items in brass or N/S, I doubt most of us on here would consider you a 'novice!'

Far be it from me to argue with such distinguished company, but I still consider myself a novice.  OK, not a complete beginner, but I'd want a  few more kits under my belt before I'd completely drop the novice bit, certainly one working standard gauge loco.

A bit more digging before I decided which loco to go for, but I think more wagons to practice on before I start on the loco.  And thanks for the comments on the various manufacturers.

Adrian

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, figworthy said:

Far be it from me to argue with such distinguished company, but I still consider myself a novice.  OK, not a complete beginner, but I'd want a  few more kits under my belt before I'd completely drop the novice bit, certainly one working standard gauge loco.

A bit more digging before I decided which loco to go for, but I think more wagons to practice on before I start on the loco.  And thanks for the comments on the various manufacturers.

Adrian

Adrian

I think there are areas in building kits and stocks which we all but a few not totally comfortable with. For me with the bodies I am totally happy with whitemetal, but certain aspects of etched loco building I am a bit wary of, eg sweating laminated sides together

Same with chassis, I am fine with either rigid and beam compensation, but wary of sprung and FSB types

Somehow I struggle with motor mounts but fine with gearboxes, can repair complicated valve gear again wary of building it.

In the end its all down to experience and the availability of assistance 

• Agree 1