Bodgers Brow.

A layout I'm sure many of you will have seen at exhibitions over the years built by the late Arnold Belfield of the Rassbottom brow group.

A friend of mine who works in the trade bought the collection including the layout & as one of my best friends also works for my friend he called me up.

I purchased the layout without even seeing as my mate told me this has you written all over it.

Any Em my friend gets in we always get first refusal before it goes to joe public as we are a Em group at our local club.

It turned out to be a bonus as I managed to pick up a load of stock & locks for the layout.

I've had a few layouts over the years which I have purchased, I've learnt that I dont like making them alone they are too time consuming & i get stalled with them. 

The 2 layouts I have owned have both been large needing more than one operator which also contributed to them getting moved on.

This little layout however suits me perfectly. Its Em, based on a lanky prototype & has lots of very interesting locos.

It also means I can make locos for it which is my personal favourite in the hobby.

I intend to add a few bits to the layout, but my aim is to keep it as original as possible although I need to change the name to something more east Lancashire related.

20200905_143621.jpg.d8dc66666f869abef8391a63f7691e06.jpg

20200905_143654.jpg.68309e40747f598853de011915e5c7f8.jpg20200920_103315.jpg.d539b7dcce567ec9c0346d5bd9bfb005.jpg

• Like 14

Just the sort of thing my father was trying to achieve with his O gauge layout, Blackford Bridge, but which dementia has stopped him completing.

Blackford Bridge was never a railway station - it is the name of the road bridge crossing the River Roche next to the junction of Hollins Brow and Manchester Road, on the outskirts of Bury. The nearest it ever was to a railway would have been the Bury Corporation trams running to Whitefield (where I assume one would have changed to a Manchester Corporation tram).

If you wanted a proper "Lanky" name, feel free to use it - my dad would have been thrilled to see it adopted!

Looks a nice layout - just the right amount of complexity to keep shunting interesting!

Steve S

• Like 1

A few more from a running session I had today.

The coal tank is a Bachmann conversion I did running the Bolton great moor street service.

Lanky saddle tank doing the pick up goods.

& a Midland steam railmotor running from Morcambe of all places. 

Theres even a pick up goods from hellifield 

20200920_105032.jpg

20200920_103238.jpg

20200920_103852.jpg

• Like 14
33 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Where's the green eyed monster icon when you need it.

Glad it's keeping Arnold's memory alive, did he ever finish tiling those roofs?!!

Mike.

He did indeed

2000 odd on one building it says so underneath 

On 20/09/2020 at 15:40, Rhb Simon said:

LThanks Steve

I've actually been thinking of naming it Belfield Brow after Arnold who built it.

It's a running title at present 

That's a great idea!

By the way, I've only just spotted "Rigger & Mortiss" as the name of the "shoddy merchants"! :D

Steve

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
On 25/09/2020 at 21:26, SteveyDee68 said:

That's a great idea!

By the way, I've only just spotted "Rigger & Mortiss" as the name of the "shoddy merchants"! :D

Steve

Makes me smile everytime I look at it. 

Arnold certainly had a sense of humour.

• Like 2