change of numbering on vanfits.

Could any one tell me the year that covered vans, such as vanfits numbering was changed from just the number at the left hand end and XP etc at the right hand end to a box withtype of vehicle weiight and number at left hand end and XP and wheel base and box at the right hand end? I assume it is something to do with TOPS. I would like to possibly change the lettering on an 0 gauge Dapol van fit.

1 hour ago, westerner said:

Could any one tell me the year that covered vans, such as vanfits numbering was changed from just the number at the left hand end and XP etc at the right hand end to a box withtype of vehicle weiight and number at left hand end and XP and wheel base and box at the right hand end? I assume it is something to do with TOPS. I would like to possibly change the lettering on an 0 gauge Dapol van fit.

It started a long time before TOPS; around 1964. It wasn't universally applied; vehicles were still in circulation in the late 1970s with unboxed numbers and other details, but with the three-letter TOPS code stencilled above. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I asked a while ago whether there are transfers for 'boxed' style numbers for the normal vanfits and someone mentioned that many seemed to stay in the unboxed style as Brian FC said above. A quick flick through Paul Bartlett's site of VVVs and VWVs certainly seems to bear this out with only handful of the boxed variety shown. A fair few don't have TOPS codes at all even in the late 1970s.

The next question it where to get transfers to add on the VVV or VWV codes to existing number sets....

Wagons were repainted infrequently, if at all, and it is unlikely that the lettering would have have been boxed otherwise. (Can't be bothered....)

For 1964/5 one or two wagons could be in fresh paint with the box and the rest in varying states of weathering.

I understand that the body colour went from bauxite to brown about the same time.

• Like 1