The Gresley challenge

Richard Hall

I'm building a model (in N gauge) of a station on the Waverley route, which means lots of three cylinder Gresley beasts - A3s, K3s and V2s.  The layout was actually inspired by the Peter Handford sound recordings made in 1961, and I reckon DCC sound will play a big part in creating the atmosphere I am looking for.  One problem.  I've watched lots of videos, listened to lots of sound clips, and none of the sound projects out there sound remotely like the Handford recordings.  All the sound projects have their exhaust beats in nice even groups of three.  A typical hard-worked St Margarets V2 sounded more like a jazz band.  Five beats, with a heavy emphasis on the second or third, then a pause as if the engine is drawing breath.  Also absolutely outrageous amounts of rod knock, bearing clearances so big you could put your hand through them.  Carlisle Canal's A3s weren't a lot better, no surprise that they were among the first A3s to go for scrap.  They had a very hard life.

Here's an example, a V2 on the long 1 in 70 through Steele Road towards Riccarton:  

I believe there are a few sound project developers on here.  Does anyone fancy the challenge of creating a sound project for the three cylinder Gresley locos as they were back in the day, rather than the pristine, barely run in and perfectly set up examples of the preservation era?  If anyone can come up with something that sounds "right" I'll take several.

Our sound engineer modified our A3 project for his private use. Chuff takt is now let's say 2-3-1-3-4-6 (where 1 is the loudest) instead of the original A3  1-2-1-2-3-4 takt, injector is rattling loudly at start, rods are louder, very hard coach door slamming, no airpump.
Maybe you're interested? Also possible for the A4. Except of chuff takt all sounds can be adjusted by CV.

5 hours ago, Locoman58 said:

Our sound engineer modified our A3 project for his private use. Chuff takt is now let's say 2-3-1-3-4-6 (where 1 is the loudest) instead of the original A3  1-2-1-2-3-4 takt, injector is rattling loudly at start, rods are louder, very hard coach door slamming, no airpump.
Maybe you're interested? Also possible for the A4. Except of chuff takt all sounds can be adjusted by CV.

That sounds very interesting and I would certainly like to try it.  Please let me know how I can order one.