The Captain's Travels

Has anyone noticed the replica signalbox on the downside cutting side, just north of Wickwar Tunnel, btw?

I've noticed there is a signalbox of some sort, in fact when I saw it this time I was able to impress my son by telling him we were about to go into a tunnel! As you say you don't get a good look at it, especially not from "the cushions", and I'd just assumed it was the former Wickwar signalbox retained for some obscure railway purpose or sold off.

• RMweb Gold

Well it doesnt look like anywhere in Kernowshire, or Devon......sooooo Ill join in the bathamapton kinda chorus too....

Though CK seems to take photos from very bizarre places at familiar locations...

Oooh, you are too kind! :P :P

Alright then, this one should clinch it!

post-57-12571952787158_thumb.jpg

Easy, isn't it!! :lol:

Limpley Stoke I think, pretty much midway between Bathampton and Avoncliff. In which case I'll revise my first guess to be the gated crossing a few hundred metres towards Bath, where the wotsit valley Titfield line used to come in. Sorry getting late and my brain is closing down, nearly typed Bradley Stoke there!

That's Claverton pumping station, on the railway between Bath and Freshford, and just behind the University. It was built to pump water into the Kennet and Avon canal, and is powered by a water wheel, which makes it seem rather like perpetual motion to me.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

That's Claverton pumping station, on the railway between Bath and Freshford, and just behind the University. It was built to pump water into the Kennet and Avon canal, and is powered by a water wheel, which makes it seem rather like perpetual motion to me

Correct - well done that man! It was a lovely afternoon, and the colours in Rainbow Woods were superb! :)

Has anyone noticed the replica signalbox on the downside cutting side, just north of Wickwar Tunnel, btw?

This house was up for sale a few years ago and the advertising featured the replica signal box is at the bottom of the garden. I understand the then owner had fitted the signal box with a bar... drinks all round.

Archived