Hornby Class 60 couplings

michael rhodes

Just running the superb Cavalex BBAs and BLAs behind various Hornby Class 60s - every single 60 derails the first bogie on the leading wagon whenever there is a reverse curve! No other locos seem to do this (tried 37s and 20s and 40s so far (all Bachman).

There seems to be a serious issue with the Hornby Class 60 coupling:-

Have others noticed this?

I tried removing the hook from the loco side (as shown below) to give the wagon more room. No joy.

I looked at the spring mechanism that returns the loop to neutral and noticed it is prone to sticking so tried some WD40 and judicious wiggling. No joy

The loop on the loco moves with the curves and then gets stuck as shown below - even after WD 40 so the next time it encounters a curve it pulls the leading bogie of the BLA off the track.

This seems to be more of a problem with the heavier and better constructed Cavalex models and it doesn't happen with Bachman TEAs could this be because the trailing load of the better made wagons is heavier?

Has anybody got any bright ideas because it is driving me bonkers to have two derailments per loop using the Class 60!!

IMG_9462[1].JPG

• Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, michael rhodes said:

This seems to be more of a problem with the heavier and better constructed Cavalex models and it doesn't happen with Bachman TEAs could this be because the trailing load of the better made wagons is heavier?

Have you tried adding a load to the Bachmann wagons to bring them up to the weight of the Cavalex?

My solution was to fit a Kadee coupling to one end of the loco. This required some surgery but it works and allows the full snow plough to be used. I found the Hornby self centring coupling to be nothing but trouble.

John

8BF4D3E3-398E-4C7D-8095-556B229B4376.jpeg

B64155B1-2F0C-4ED4-A49A-5F3919DEE398.jpeg

44C04667-D740-4551-AD05-9FDE7FEF33DF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I have super glued a length of florist wire to the bottom of the bogie which is bent at the other end to go up and just through the coupling. Its unobtrusive but keeps the coupling pointing in the same direction as the bogie. Hope it helps.

Chris

20201002_143355.jpg

Edited by Chrisr40
Adding photo

Had this problem with Hornby Class 50s 56's and 31s as well.  A quick dusting of DRY lubricant on the plate on which the coupling cam rubs is all it takes to keep the mechanism free.  I only had treat my locos once and never had a problem since, even pulling the lightest wagons.

I used Labelle 134 PTFE https://labelle-lubricants.com/shop/labelle-micro-fine-powder-with-ptfe/ , a U.S made product but available here, e.g.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/112565776821?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-153316-527457-8&mkcid=2&itemid=112565776821&targetid=4585513248123143&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=398226956&mkgroupid=1310618094934606&rlsatarget=pla-4585513248123143&abcId=2145997&merchantid=87779&msclkid=b8dcdd304fb8199f170f8258da4501cc

Others in the past have suggested using a soft graphite pencil.  Whatever you try, make sure it's a DRY lubricant.

Edited by cravensdmufan
To include further link
  • Informative/Useful 2

I doubt there is anything wrong with the coupling mechanism on the Class 60, but if you have a locomotive with a close coupling mechanism and don't use close couplers such as Hornby's Roco clones or even the magnetic types listed above, you are not taking advantage of one of the best features of the model.

I am guessing the Cavalex wagons also have close coupling mechanisms...people seem to sing their praises..and decent close couplers would make all the difference. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This has been done to death many times, the issue is the weight of the trailing load prevents the coupler from self centring after it leaves the curve. and when the trains starts to straighten the coupling which is now cranked over to the left or the right drags the first wagon off. If you have a light load there isn't an issue, as the coupling self centres a little easier. lubricating the coupling can help as cravensdmufan says, but ill be honest the only reliable solution I have found is a loop of wire. (I dont use kadees but its be shown before they can resolve the issues as well)

Adding weight to the wagons just makes the issue worse.

Someone said it doesn't happen with TEAs, that's correct because the bogie allows more contact with the track to prevent the wagon derailing, its the same with coaches, I can pull coaches with little issue with Hornby locos, but 4 wheel wagons forget it!

Edited by pheaton
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

It might be worth asking Hornby to reposition the coupler NEM head to the body frame (the metal bit) as that tends to reduce the likes of derailments. I have issues with lightweight wagons coming off the tracks. Perhaps this will solve the derailment issues. But yet heavy wagons seem to run better.

• 1 month later...