Building Scalescenes Canal Wharf Layout in 0 gauge, Track Planning?

brossard

I have a few mainline tank locos, one thought for a diorama style small layout is the throat of the Minories, with A5's its under 6' long (5.6') and A6's just over 6'. Certainly a bridge at the right end, with much the same or station overall roof at the other 

• Agree 1

I just want to document the last bits and pieces of the layout.  I need to get on with my main layout for a bit, plus I'm waiting for cobblestones.

P1010052.JPG.ef15970c00cb6ad436842479b16ca8fd.JPG

The end bridge and arch.  Before I can fit these I need to build the base.

The girder is plastic and embellished with Archer rivets.

P1010053.JPG.ab606db3edabe6bf156f0c231c21f83e.JPG

I had a go at building the barge.  I'd say it's OK, but is that good enough?

Bollards are plastic strip and rod.  Tiller is plastic strip too.

I had a Google and the only canal boat kit I found in this scale is a narrow boat from Langley.  Cast resin and the pics I saw were not a good advert.

I'm curious to know what the prototype is for John's model.  I did Google coal barge pics but didn't find anything that looked like this.

Anyone out there know of a suitable kit?

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 5

Thanks for the Skytrex reference.  They do stone setts for quayside so I may be able to use those.

I can use the bollards and maybe the edging as well.

Their narrow boats are pretty expensive.

As for card kits of boats, well, the one I made is from card.  I also have a Scalescenes kit for a variety of narrow boats.  I will have to try making one of these to see how they look.

What I am really after is something like the coal barge pictured above.  I may need to scratchbuild one.  Anyone done that?

John

• Agree 1

• 9 months later...

As the plague appears to be waning, my thoughts have turned to maybe getting a layout done for the next show season, which I think will be in Spring 2022.

I have been thinking about developing the Canal Dock into something quite a bit longer:

P1010003.JPG.0499d1a2bbd0b69adfb06fd42ccef6cb.JPG

I made a mockup board from foam core that is 5' x 2'.  I'm unsure of the width as yet.  I measured the car and it will take a 5' long layout.

I have gathered up some Scalescenes kit that I have in stock and I'm in the process of building these as low relief.  More on that as progress gets made.

Just for fun, here is an item of motive power for the layout:

P1010002.JPG.a6b54574e210e1470bfbeb0a605aebdc.JPG

I got it 2nd hand from Hatton's and a good price.  It does have sound.  The chimney cap is missing but an easy fix I think.  Livery is wrong - I want it to be BR early crest - beggars can't be choosers.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 12

Over the past several days I have been working on industrial buildings.  Here are a pair I finished:

P1010004.JPG.3a4a3c970268774f9d33eeef421440b2.JPG

These are T024c from the factory set.  I made two by cutting the end walls to produce low relief buildings.  Most of the build is straight from the kit with the exception of the windows which are made with Evergreen strip.

More to come.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

John,

That is a fabulous piece of work. I take it that you have placed them between the steps up to the (future) bridge and the main building. Do you have an arrangement of buildings in mind or are you in experimental stage?

I am looking forward to the results.

Ian.

Hi Ian, thanks for stopping by.

Right now, I have to fill in about 3' of the board with structures.  They need not all be buildings and I think I can use brick arches (R018) for some of the length.

Once I have the buildings done, I need to lay out the track and position the structures in such a way that makes sense.  A major constraint is the original RH building has a low relief bridge which forms the scenic break.

Essentially I am making it up as I go along.  :huh:

John

• Like 3

Another building complete, the low relief warehouse, T002b, a free kit but excellent design nevertheless:

P1010005.JPG.1dff6a248aabf935bfdf798ab7eac569.JPG

I need to figure out the signage.

I have to confess that I am having second thoughts about integrating these buildings into the Canal Dock scene.  I might be better off making a stand alone industrial layout.  More tooth sucking required.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Very impressed with how you scale up the scale scenes stuff. I’m starting out in o gauge but have modelled in oo for several years and have a good selection of scalescenes stuff. I’ve seen your other structures on your bigger layout.

seeing your earlier post about scaling up by 175% has peaked my interest….I didn’t realise it was that easy. I’m lucky enough to be able to print in work so I can live with a few mistakes! Will defo give it a go with some simple stuff.

Meanwhile I will follow your progress with interest.

atb

James

• Like 1

Good to know James.  I have collected a lot of Scalescenes kits over the years - some I haven't built yet.

Like you I did 00 for many years.  I built quite a lot of 4mm Scalescenes kits for the club layout and, after a fair number of years, these are still going.

I'm so glad I switched to 0 (6 years ago now) and wish it had happened sooner.

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another building complete, the Warehouse T024a from the factory set:

P1010008.JPG.d4c812023f9e727371a9e29150cec6d0.JPG

P1010007.JPG.0a45f64cfbcae591070e33274eb0b3e6.JPG

It is huge and probably will not fit.  I will need to rethink.  Still, I do like building these.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 11

I have done the backscene arches:

P1010010.JPG.ed6a830b6014a5ff10e46200f5d6fdb0.JPG

Scalescenes R018.  I will need to make more eventually, but I can use this and the other structures for planning.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 4

Thanks Paul.  Yep, painted and weathered too.  Kits are inexpensive to buy but there are additional costs, principally the card and, to a lesser extent ink.  I use good quality card not Corn Flakes packets.  All I have to do is put it together, although that is not trivial and requires care.  Only thing is there is no texture, being printed.  I can live with that given the other advantages.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

John

I seem to recall in the old days relief was scribed on to the card, something pointed like an old scriber where the tip had been rounded off. The likes of Pendon may still use this method

I think I might have tried that some time ago.  However, I haven't the patience and there is a lot of area to cover.  John W's design is such that it has a 3D aspect even though it is flat.  The structure is 3.5mm foam board so certainly soft enough. (I settled on 3.5mm foam board after trying to cut 3.5mm card - exhausting!  Scalescenes has three weights of card - Light, Medium and Heavy.  For 00, "Heavy" card is defined as 2mm and this scales to about 3.5mm for 0.)

Even the laser kits that I have built from Lcut have been faced with Scalescenes brick paper because a) the laser cut bricks tend to flake off and b) I didn't fancy trying to paint the mortar lines.

I admit it, I cheat!

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having a bash at the Sentinel:

P1010019.JPG.cc91525e0d359967bb471aecc9b95a86.JPG

P1010020.JPG.009032dabba3efd0831b79ae87be90df.JPG

A friend supplied a couple of pictures of 68182 so I tried to replicate it.

I did add a stay alive from DCC Concepts.  I had these in stock for quite a while and don't know the spec.

After weathering, I cleaned the wheels pretty thoroughly but the loco was still a bit hesitant.  I removed the keeper plate and wheelsets.  I cleaned the backs of the wheels and the wipers, there was muck on both.  The wipers got a tweak as well.  While I was there I added a strip of 0.5mm plastic between the keeper and chassis on one axle.  This gives it a bit of play and acts like compensation.  Loco runs nicely now.

Crewman is ModelU.  Lamps are ModelU as well and VERY nice.  There is a slot for the lamp bracket which need just a bit of opening out with a 0.9mm drill.  Lenses are separate.

Very pleased with this.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 7

• brossard changed the title to Building Scalescenes Canal Wharf Layout in 0 gauge, Sentinel Reliveried

An impressive job on the Sentinel. I recently took a short sighted decision to buy an LNER liveried Sentinel for a ridiculously low price knowing full well that it would not really fit with my late 50’s Wharf layout but I was overtaken by the excitement of adding another loco to the roster.  Although in my mind I can conjure up a story of an extended loaner that was never reliveried to BR I think your solution is by far the better option. I’m not the most confident when it comes to painting and weathering let alone removing decals and adding new ones so was hoping that you could explain the process behind removing and then adding new decals. Hopefully I can get somewhere near the quality of your finished work. 

Thanks Cris, the job did entail a number of steps.

First the body came off - easy as there are 4 screws in the corners.

I masked the windows knowing that there would be painting and varnishing.

As I mentioned, the crewman is ModelU.  If you haven't had these, they are the best figures around IMO, being scanned from real people and 3D printed.

The loco has just 4 wheels so I added a stay alive.  Not hard just solder the wires to the two corner pads under the decoder.

Also, as hard as I try, I can't get my track perfect so used a dodge I had seen others do.  The keeper plate was removed (I had to do this any way to clean wheel backs and wipers).  The main brake rigging is glued to the bottom as well as pinned.  Try to loosen it.  I didn't and broke it but the damage is small and can't be seen.  Anyway, I put a 0.5mm piece of plastic card between the keeper and chassis in front of one axle.  This gives a tiny amount of play that may help keep the wheels in contact with the rails.

Back to the body, I used a fiber pen to remove the lettering.  I then sprayed it black.  After that I sprayed some gloss varnish to help the transfers adhere.

I used HMRS Pressfix transfers.  These are not my favorite despite being accurate.  Pressfix gives you no wiggle room once the transfer is on and I did have some wastage.  Very stressful.

I haven't checked, but if Fox (or other waterslide) do the appropriate transfers, I would recommend those.

Bufferbeam was painted by first applying white primer (Tamiya brush on) and then red.

I found the upper lamp brackets felt loose so I dabbed a small amount of CA on to stabilize them.

Final step was to weather.  I weathered the body and chassis separately as it seemed easier.  Weathering is a personal thing and people seem to have their preferred methods.

One other point, the speaker is in the boiler but was loose.  I don't think this is good for sound quality so I shored it up with blobs of black tack either side.

Coal was added to the front deck.

I think that's it.  If there are any further questions, feel free to ask.

John

John

Thanks so much for all the information. My loco is currently with Digitrains having sound, stay alive etc fitted so once it’s back I will consider how best to achieve what I want based on your guidance although I have to say it sounds a little beyond my capabilities. Anyway nothing ventured, nothing gained as the saying goes.

Cheers

Chris