Building Scalescenes Canal Wharf Layout in 0 gauge, Track Planning?

brossard

I had a think about the main wall and the windows and decided to make my own windows.  This entails redoing the wall with the correct apertures.  The windows themselves have proved to be fiddly, painstaking and time consuming.  In hindsight I should have had them made.  However, the first batch are mostly done, just needing painting.

In the meantime, I made a main door set from scribed plastic card:

P1010041.JPG.01615723a6bdcab37ba0cb93e5107aa8.JPG

P1010042.JPG.1e49c76694d8f1b569fd551f2e4ac74a.JPG

I will use the wires to attach them to the doorframe.

Also, thinking ahead, I tackled the water tower:

P1010043.JPG.8646933228b0b6fed85f19896e47d5d6.JPG

Rivetted iron doesn't work in card IMO so I made the tank itself from plastic card.  I used Archer rivet transfers.  Everything else is card.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

2 hours ago, brossard said:

Oh good, the more the merrier.  Wise of you to let me make all the errors before going ahead with yours.

I continue to look for things that can be made in plastic to provide more texture.

John

John

What a great Idea, I only have a basic ink jet printer with basic functions, so scaling up and permanent colours sadly are out of the question. 

Really John?  Admittedly I have a fairly advanced ink jet printer (HP OfficeJet Pro 8720) but I would have though scaling up is a function of PDF ("Take a Snapshot").  I will typically need to take up to 6 snapshots per kit page.  For this kit, splicing is necessary.

Permanent colours?  There are coatings and fixers that help to protect the ink.  I always spray matte coating on my prints.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

John

Sorry but not very computer savey, I did have an HP printer some time ago where it was easy to both increase and decrease the size. The box file is a great idea for 00 gauge and increasing it to 7mm whilst not box file still gives a minimum spaced option for those of us who cannot resist buying the odd loco in a different scale to the one we model in

Yes John, I see this micro layout as something that will fit in the car so I can take it to shows without having to rely on a van for the main layout.

Also a great way to get into 0 gauge.  You only need a small loco and handful of wagons.  The kit itself though, I am finding, is a LOT of work.  Scalescenes always look so good and a lot of the work is done for you.

Maybe if you have a Scalescenes kit you can play around with trying to blow it up.  It shouldn't be printer dependent,  its a function of the PDF file.  There are a couple of freebies.

Try this:

From the PDF select - Edit, then Take a Snapshot.  Your cursor will change to a crosshair.  Use your mouse to highlight the area you want to print:

Picture1.png.52e005bcbda72656676cec9488ee4f06.png

You get a blue shaded area.

Then, right click and select "Print".  You will get the print window:

Picture2.png.04398127872736bb1d0e468fd2178dcc.png

Click on Custom Scale and type in 175 (for 0 gauge).  Then click on Print.  You should get the blown up print.  You will have to repeat this process to get all the parts.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Finally!  Windows are done.  These took ages but I can crack on with the structure assemblies now.

P1010044.JPG.b4e64c44e78296c2006d848afa442bb6.JPG

I used various widths and thicknesses of Evergreen strip.  The result is pretty good I think but it is very inefficient.

Phil at Intentio helped me out with Scalescenes house windows and I think in future I would contact him for windows.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Getting the windows to fit was a PITA but it got done.  After that, the rest of the construction went quickly:

P1010045.JPG.6d47e595fc94d68498509292bc36e622.JPG

That is Structure A done.  Structure C joins where the white area is.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well, Scalescenes is a download so there are no "supplied" windows.  The kit intention is to print out the windows on clear acetate and tape them to the back of the wall.  This is very one dimensional and would not do for 0.  There are a couple of options for the 00 builder including windows from Brassmasters and a product from Scalescenes.

I mentioned above that I bought some industrial windows from Lcut.  I tried these in the first attempt in the first post.  However, the windows are not an exact match and required me to perform surgery on the print.  This was additionally time consuming and, while the join is not obvious, it is visible.

I scrapped the first front wall and did a new one.  This was much better as you can see.

I think the biggest issue with building Scalescenes in 0 is windows and doors.  Phil at Intentio will do bespoke laser cut windows.  I think that would be the way to go.

John

• Like 3

Structure B is more or less finished:

P1010046.JPG.56b4ea9584573da57742472fa49cf9a0.JPG

The RH side looks unfinished because the bridge will interface there.

I made the angled soil pipes (eeeyeww!) from brass rod/tube.

I printed the Structure C parts so away we go.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 15
  • Round of applause 2

Today I got Structure C done:

P1010047.JPG.1b60086c2f4e54c81959391206591954.JPG

Doors were scribed in plastic sheet and attached as in the first set above.

Corrugated surface of the hoist tower on the left caused me to have a debate with myself.  I ended up leaving it the way it printed.  The usual reason - I doubt I can replicate the finish that John W achieved.

Obviously there needs to be some fettling to integrate the buildings seamlessly.  I will probably fabricate "concrete" footings to even out the height.  The open doors are actually overlong so that works.

I obtained some etched fencing this week.  This will go between Structures A and B.

Next up the bridge for the near end.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Thanks Barnaby.  Yes, I plan to have a sector plate on the right with maybe two roads and space for two or three wagons.

On the left, I'm thinking of a one road sector plate for the loco to switch from one track to the other.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/09/2020 at 20:02, brossard said:

Ever since this kit (LY02) came out I have been thinking about building it in 0 gauge.  It looks so evocative in the photo.

https://scalescenes.com/product/ly02-canal-wharf-boxfile-layout/

I started by mocking up the base using foamcore and printing the dock out:

P1010037.JPG.364d1ffa0bc3b6e6c794d7795b0c4ad6.JPG

I want to use actual cobblestones.  My efforts at finding suitable ones have come to nought so far.  The Slaters products are unsatisfying.  Phil at Intentio says he has some so I will contact him.

I have to admit, the size of the thing does look small: 25" x 17".  Here's my Terrier posed to get a sense of scale:

P1010034.JPG.1d70f90afe64c1871450204a186e2229.JPG

I am well along with building "Structure A".  I am looking for ways to make things in plastic rather than card.  I bought myself some Lcut industrial windows that are close but exact.

Here's the basic structure:

P1010035.JPG.651a48df70768f02dbc410a25710cb67.JPG

There's a lot of "heavy card" doubled and even tripled up.  I used actual card for the back wall but for the side walls I used 3.5mm foam board.

I finished the front wall today:

P1010036.JPG.2e10ef6fbbd8f795cb36c6a07b7b91cc.JPG

Here, I have posed it on the structure but it is not glued down yet.  The windows look good I think.  The arch at the top had to be reshaped.  The printed brick lintels had to cut out, brick spliced and replacement lintels glued on.  The replacement lintels came from Scalescenes brick paper pack.

Currently working on the water tank in styrene.

I also have the main doors made in styrene, waiting for paint to dry.

More to come soon.

John

Hi John,

That looks really good, please excuse my ignorance, how does one scale and print such - aren't most of their kits in 4mm scale?

ATVB,

Martin

• Like 1

Hi Martin, it's not difficult to scale 4mm Scalescenes kits to 7mm.  I did a brief tutorial earlier in this thread.  The tricky thing is getting your "snapshot" to fit the paper, I waste a lot but you get the hang of it.

John

• Agree 1