Nameplate Glue

SR71

• RMweb Premium

What glue do people use for attaching nameplates? I've previously used superglue but I seem to have lost my courage with some very small plates.

I want sometihing a bit forgiving;

• Gives time to reposition.
  • Thin
  • Not stringy - ruled out araldite uhu etc...

I'm sure I've got something but I've drawn a blank...

Edited by SR71
Don't press tab while typing!

I've successfully used gloss varnish, but that's only when there's a flat surface for them to adhere to. This West Country had the nameplates applied in this way.

50364379798_71bd564994_h.jpg

On a loco where the plate is mounted on/over the splasher, where there is much less surface area, I've used cheap glue from the local hardware store. I pour a small amount into a specific 'glue container' and then using a toothpick or something similar, apply the glue to the back of the nameplate while holding it with tweezers. It's much less difficult than it sounds

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Another vote for varnish.

I use enamel of the same finish that I want the model to be (eg satin if the loco is satin finish). Apply a small amount, let it go tacky then pop the plate on. As you've used the same finish as the underlying varnish, any excess will blend in, or you can top coat over the plates, again blending in any seepage.

Most of the excess that seeps out can be gently removed with a cocktail stick anyway, before it dries solid.

Jo

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

2nd vote for glue’n’glaze, and it’s good for small windows as well!  In fact I also use it for gluing plastiglaze windows as well.  In my cast it is etched GW numberplates as opposed to nameplates.  I apply a spot of g’n’g at each end of the plate and one in the middle with a cocktail stick. You have plenty of time for positioning but it is best to position the plate as accurately as you can in the first place so as to reduce the chance of glue being squeezed out of the sides when you are satisfied with the position and press the plate on to the surface. 

If there is any surplus it can be removed with an Exacto blade. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I went for varnish because that's what I had. Thanks all for the feedback, first plate didn't land right but second went on ok. Glad I wasn't using superglue as it would have been a lost cause, as it was I had time to get it together.

20200926_190629.jpg.3afa5c14a1943dd681da536328de7681.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Do not use superglue as it can affect the paint.  Impact adhesive (Evostick in the UK) is the best and recommended by many, you have a repositioning time if not quite square.  Just a spot on the back so it doesn't squeeze out but make sure the number/nameplate is flat.  Also good for splasher mounting on the inside edge.

• Informative/Useful 1