Midland / LMS Water Crane

Greetings All,

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times, but if it has I can’t find it.....

I have just bought a P&D Marsh Midland water crane. What colour should it be for an LMS, ex-Midland Railway location in the 1930s? Present-day photos of Appleby show the water crane there as being either red or (primer?) grey. 

The P&D Marsh crane is ground-mounted, but I’m also looking for a platform-mounted equivalent. Can anybody point me towards one please?

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There is mention here of the colours for a midland water crane and some reference to possibly being a grey colour on some parts, although its probably just very dirty.

I painted mine Crimson Lake at the base, and LMS buildings cream for the column and arm. Not sure if it is right but looks ok.

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrspk344b.htm

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, ianLMS said:

There is mention here of the colours for a midland water crane and some reference to possibly being a grey colour on some parts, although its probably just very dirty.

I painted mine Crimson Lake at the base, and LMS buildings cream for the column and arm. Not sure if it is right but looks ok.

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrspk344b.htm

Thank you for the link @ianLMS, that’s useful. I’ve noted your water cranes already, Jencaster is one of my favourite layouts on here. My father painted his the same, but he’s no longer with us to ask why. On the other hand @Rowsley17D has painted the ones on Derwent Spa (another favourite) cream all over, which also looks ok. 

Photos of my local LMS line in the ‘30s definitely show the columns painted in two colours, but what colours? The photos from that era are all black & white.... Crimson and cream sounds like a safe bet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Titanius Anglesmith said:

Thank you for the link @ianLMS, that’s useful. I’ve noted your water cranes already, Jencaster is one of my favourite layouts on here. My father painted his the same, but he’s no longer with us to ask why. On the other hand @Rowsley17D has painted the ones on Derwent Spa (another favourite) cream all over, which also looks ok. 

Photos of my local LMS line in the ‘30s definitely show the columns painted in two colours, but what colours? The photos from that era are all black & white.... Crimson and cream sounds like a safe bet. 

It's many years since I first painted my water columns and from reading on here they are wrong. I'm going to repaint the column Venetian red (Tamiya Red-Brown) and leave the arms cream. I'm also going to shorten the delivery bags.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Can't answer for LMS but in Midland days it would be Venetian Red to the base and Cream above. However in water restricted areas the cream was replaced with Red. This showed the crew to only take sufficient for their needs and to not do a full tank fill.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Titanius Anglesmith said:

Thank you for the kind comment ref my layout. Always nice to get compliments. I dont think you would go too far wrong if you went crimson and cream. I am sure it took many years for the lms to get around to repainting all the water columns to match!!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ianLMS said:

Thank you for the kind comment ref my layout. Always nice to get compliments. I dont think you would go too far wrong if you went crimson and cream. I am sure it took many years for the lms to get around to repainting all the water columns to match!!

Venetian Red not Crimson

• RMweb Gold

I've repainted my columns into what I hope is nearer the right colour scheme for the Midland Railway before the LMS got around to repainting into their colours.

DSCF7713.JPG.7912b3ed19479ed8c764795149c01d49.JPG

DSCF7714.JPG.89a30fab026e5b54d0b942ed2715e98b.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Titanius Anglesmith said:

That Venetian red looks very..... brown?   Or is it a trick of the camera? Either way it contrasts nicely with the cream!

Thanks all for the replies, most informative

I used Tamiya red-brown for Venetian red as recommended by the Station colours website and looking at photos of Oakworth station on the K&WVR it is very brown.

• Informative/Useful 1