Cheapo train sets....get creative!

33C

15 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Speaking of the Hong Kong pirate copy of the Lima clockwork train set, here it is. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375053045733?hash=item5752e74fe5:g:iuoAAOSwkhllUcRf

I had that set many moons ago.

I recall an article about converting it to a NG Quarry loco and trucks. This was the inspiration for all the above wangling....!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 28/03/2023 at 23:48, 33C said:

These are great for narrow gauge, pics,1+2, or, if you really want a bit of fun, pics, 3,4+5.(Rocket runs for about a yard on one winding!)

20200917_143726.jpg

20210124_125411.jpg

20211114_083645.jpg

20220117_223951.jpg

20220121_234443.jpg

Good to see you have one of the older SLS loco drawings books.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

IMG_6320.jpeg.24dc0c4ae4040f393b161976a74e630e.jpeg

Was searching through some stuff, and found this static model of Ivor, chimney is long gone but it looks like he’d scale well into OO… Any motorisation ideas, anyone?

A Hornby pug chassis, chopped down to the bare minimum, with Triang, solid princess wheels, (so you can use the original pick-ups). I did this for my Metropolitan 4-4-0. You will have to grind a couple of grooves in the can motor housing to clear the flanges which I filed down by 1,1/2mm beforehand.

5 minutes ago, 33C said:

A Hornby pug chassis, chopped down to the bare minimum, with Triang, solid princess wheels, (so you can use the original pick-ups). I did this for my Metropolitan 4-4-0. You will have to grind a couple of grooves in the can motor housing to clear the flanges which I filed down by 1,1/2mm beforehand.

Got any photos of that chassis? So I can have a better look at what you’re on about.

Given the size of that Ivor model though, would Nellie wheels not be a better choice?

18 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Got any photos of that chassis? So I can have a better look at what you’re on about.

Given the size of that Ivor model though, would Nellie wheels not be a better choice?

Page 110 of the "Show us your pugbash" thread. Page 105 of the same thread shows the same chassis with solid Jinty wheels for the North London tank.

Ah, I thought you meant the Hornby/Dapol L&Y pug, the standard 0-4-0 chassis would be far too big for what I had in mind.

Here are some better photos of the model I showed, Triang Jinty for scale.

IMG_6323.jpeg.140b517a25c34f3f9365d75b400cf055.jpegIMG_6324.jpeg.93f7618ed52a3a9e3d553aa7197e839e.jpeg

Having acquired the Rosebud motor van, maybe get an old Rosebud or Airfix pug and fit it with driven wheels from their “Rocket” model, and have it freewheel? Ivor is ceramic though so I don’t know how well that’d work.

4 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Ivor is ceramic

Don't waste your time motorising that. Trace the design onto card, colour with felt tips or acrylic, and assemble onto your chosen chassis. The R.057 chassis can be cut down quite a lot! Or, follow this link.

http://www.smallfilms.co.uk > ivor > makeivor

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 months later...

A cheapo find in Llangollen’s “Chapel Antiques” today, a fiver for an old Hornby 0-4-0! American outline with the chunky, open frame motor with the disc commutator (the one used between the Triang X.04, and the can motor used now). The early plastic chassis design too.

IMG_9756.jpeg.0a9edaf7bf24535d72e1837f47d70539.jpeg
IMG_9757.jpeg.d8c4f8d2fc72a307469e66afef470b26.jpeg

Untested by neither myself nor the people who run the place, but runner or not, a fiver is about what these things are worth anyway! Once I have the thing running I’ll have to look into modifications… Anyone got some Lima Crab cylinders and rods spare?

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 3

Looks a little like they were trying to go for a mix of both? I’ve been thinking of repainting it and I can already see red frames & wheels, with a primarily black main body, looking good on it… Going to swap the cylinders and rods out, probably for Triang spares, since the factory fitted ones are simply awful (a change that should be done to all Hornby 0-4-0s in my opinion!). Maybe see if I can fit some extended crank pins so I can give it Walschearts too… Bodge to the max!

somewhere I've got one of those early plastic 0-4-0 chassis which I spliced a 3 volt motor into to make a battery powered loco. Was surprlsingly easy as the 12v can motor they used in that chassis run has the same external profile as a lot of 3v motors, just longer. I backfilled the space with milliput

Edited by Captain Slough
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

16 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

A cheapo find in Llangollen’s “Chapel Antiques” today, a fiver for an old Hornby 0-4-0! American outline with the chunky, open frame motor with the disc commutator (the one used between the Triang X.04, and the can motor used now). The early plastic chassis design too.

IMG_9756.jpeg.0a9edaf7bf24535d72e1837f47d70539.jpeg
IMG_9757.jpeg.d8c4f8d2fc72a307469e66afef470b26.jpeg

Untested by neither myself nor the people who run the place, but runner or not, a fiver is about what these things are worth anyway! Once I have the thing running I’ll have to look into modifications… Anyone got some Lima Crab cylinders and rods spare?

By coincidence I have a mint example of this model in the post to me at the moment - I need one of these chassis fitted with the X908 motor because if I can find a way to rotate it by 90 degrees and maybe lower it a bit it'll fit into a different body which I plan to do quite a lot of work to - hence I was prepared to pay rather more than a fiver for mine! "If" and "maybe" indicates less than 100% confidence it'll work so I won't explain more here, but if another of my square-peg-into-round-hole projects achieves success I'll post the result on the 'Jintystein' thread in due course. 

In the meantime thanks for posting the pics, I'd failed to find any of the chassis online so it shows what I'll be up against.....😁! It's quite different to the usual GWR101/Caley Pug spring-clip chassis and possibly better suited to my purpose.......time (and a razor saw) will tell!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

In the meantime thanks for posting the pics, I'd failed to find any of the chassis online so it shows what I'll be up against.....😁!

I’m out right now, but once I’m home I can get more photos of the chassis if you like, it indeed is very different to the modern chassis, the motor just clips into place with no wires at all! (The two pickup strips simply make contact with the motor terminals for easy removal) The rear clip actually broke on mine but it still holds rather well, so beware when removing and refitting the motor if you plan to reuse the X908, they’re a b45t@rd to remove!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Finally tested the thing, and (after some adjustment) it works!

Still need to do loads of work, I’m absolutely going to hardwire the pickups as the old ones are barely making contact with the motor terminals, the wheels are still filthy but somehow manage to pick up, so I’d say, for five quid, not a bad project!

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
Grammar error
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Finally tested the thing, and (after some adjustment it) works!

Still need to do loads of work, I’m absolutely going to hardwire the pickups as the old ones are barely making contact with the motor terminals, the wheels are still filthy but somehow manage to pick up, so I’d say, for five quid, not a bad project!

I’m following this with interest, I wonder how good these old models could potentially look.

10 minutes ago, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

I’m following this with interest, I wonder how good these old models could potentially look.

With the right work, you can make a junky project loco look rather nice, OO Neal did a good video on upgrading the details on the Hornby GWR “101” model (though only the body details, still with those junky crossheads & cylinders!), and I’ve done a detail upgrade & repaint to the Hornby 0-4-0 E2 for a friend (which started as an alternate take on Thomas, but quickly developed into its own thing, pictured below, the owner has since swapped the Terrier chassis for an outside cylinder pocket rocket chassis).

IMG_1651.jpeg.3710737fe86e5c60c6e1d04d205000cd.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

27 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

With the right work, you can make a junky project loco look rather nice, OO Neal did a good video on upgrading the details on the Hornby GWR “101” model (though only the body details, still with those junky crossheads & cylinders!), and I’ve done a detail upgrade & repaint to the Hornby 0-4-0 E2 for a friend (which started as an alternate take on Thomas, but quickly developed into its own thing, pictured below, the owner has since swapped the Terrier chassis for an outside cylinder pocket rocket chassis).

IMG_1651.jpeg.3710737fe86e5c60c6e1d04d205000cd.jpeg

Even with the face present, I don’t immediately see Thomas. Excellent!

• Thanks 1