Cheapo train sets....get creative!

33C

5 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I’ve posted this elsewhere already but it might be of interest and in the spirit of this thread. Bandai ZZ gauge, from 2005. Although not quite as cheap as some of the stuff we’ve seen so far it is an inexpensive battery-powered plastic train set (a watch battery in this case). It is also a very interesting footnote in model railway history; when introduced in 2005 ZZ was the smallest commercially available model railway (1:300, 4.8mm gauge). The following year T gauge was unveiled and ZZ never really took off as a serious scale. It does seem to be used occasionally by military modellers and war gamers in similar scales who want a railway in an appropriately small scale for their dioramas, but I haven’t seen much use of it for railway modelling per se.

I will probably be leaving this particular one as it is (but possibly building a 1:300 layout for it) although there seems to be potential to build a larger (perhaps 4mm) scale NG or miniature railway based on a ZZ set. The issue would be getting a reasonable quantity of equipment to experiment with, as they are long out of production and fairly rare in the UK.

EDD07AF4-916C-4177-B4A1-00BFCF4B493B.jpeg.2a57d0f1cf424674b7bb2efeeb56b103.jpeg

6BB9597C-26E9-47D2-B109-73FCFDCE62C2.jpeg.94b0e95e1481dc7acc61a715eb1d2120.jpeg

712D6550-39FC-40C4-A35C-988BB2EFA9DE.jpeg.32d79449f8e4cb597f6fce8a49bb135e.jpeg

I'm thinking Irish rail-bus with that chassis/power arrangement and maybe trailer coach and bogie van...........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 33C said:

I'm thinking Irish rail-bus with that chassis/power arrangement and maybe trailer coach and bogie van...........

I like your thinking, and I’m now wondering how to get a load more of these for all the ideas I’ve had, both using them as produced or with light modifications in 1:300 and more heavily modified in larger scales. I note that in Z scale it is only a few scale inches too wide for metre or 3ft (for the Irish idea) and almost exactly right for 3’ 6”. In 4mm scale it could represent a 15” gauge line, while in 7mm it is only a bit too wide for 7 1/4”. Weight in larger scales could create problems though. This one will probably be staying as it is as I’ve decided I quite like it and have also discovered some very intriguing 1:300 scale kits of Japanese castles while idly Googling, but I definitely need to find a reasonably-priced reliable source of ZZ sets...

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Looks good so far. Is the lettering sticker from the original loco body?

It's from the caboose.  I have now decided that ATPR stands for the Alwen, Twllan, & Pentrefoelas Railway, built circa 1911 to support the construction of the Alwen Reservoir, which eked out an impecunious existence serving a collection of scattered farms until being abandoned and lifted at the outbreak of WW2. 

Edited by papagolfjuliet
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I was digging around looking for something else and found one of these I did as a teenager in the 90s.

It's 2t of The Tralee and Dingle railway made of random junk including a babybell wax smokebox door.  I've got a few bits of secondhand TT recently to have another go with.IMG_20210218_130639579_HDR.jpg.8f9a349d95cde94c86cda703e7b9d4b1.jpg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Hesperus said:

I was digging around looking for something else and found one of these I did as a teenager in the 90s.

It's 2t of The Tralee and Dingle railway made of random junk including a babybell wax smokebox door.  I've got a few bits of secondhand TT recently to have another go with.IMG_20210218_130639579_HDR.jpg.8f9a349d95cde94c86cda703e7b9d4b1.jpg

Weird? I have just found an article from Railway Modeller, March 79, pages 90-93. Modelling the Tralee! Toying with doing an irish prototype since forever.....:locomotive:

It's a great article that one, I've got it too despite it being 2 years older than me.  A couple of books on the railway too if you need any photos sent by PM.  Helpfully the cheap loco chassis is a perfect fit inside the loco outline in 4mm scale giving the right track gauge.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 14/02/2021 at 18:52, papagolfjuliet said:

Almost done. Just need to fix a few snagging jobs, disguise the join on the sticker I used for the lettering (removed from the caboose in the set), and then cover the sins of my paintwork with weathering powders.

DSC03332.JPG

I love this. It has that colonial railway look, like something exported by Beyer Peacock or one of those lads.

Actually, it reminds me weirdly of a Disney railway, the Wildlife Express Train. This is powered by steam-outline diesels that proclaim themselves to be Beyer Peacock, but are actually based off the L&YR 2-4-2.

Anyway, this thread continues to be a dangerous source of temptation...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, HonestTom said:

I love this. It has that colonial railway look, like something exported by Beyer Peacock or one of those lads.

Actually, it reminds me weirdly of a Disney railway, the Wildlife Express Train. This is powered by steam-outline diesels that proclaim themselves to be Beyer Peacock, but are actually based off the L&YR 2-4-2.

Anyway, this thread continues to be a dangerous source of temptation...

Tinned Trains......very more-ish!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What fun! Really enjoyed this topic, doing something with literally nothing nothing, thought I'd have a crack.

Cereal box type card, coffee stirrers (acquired one-a-day), a small grill from a Scalextric bits box and a knurled radiator cap comes from a picture hanging set. The figure was two paperclips skeleton with paper-mache padding. Paint was what I could find in the garage - odd wallpaints, some enamels and a bit of wood stain for the 'planks.'

The motor unit has been flipped back-to-front. If you do this then load the motor end up with weight - I used tyre weights. Otherwise it'll just wheelspin. Weight helps the carriages too

It rock and rolls over the points a bit and works better when the battery has run down.

An amusing distraction over a few wet days, thanks for the inspiration.

BD656E39-E4F0-42ED-856A-1944C3E6AA29_1_105_c.jpeg

CED3FB01-94AE-4F56-80D4-07CFB4412990_1_105_c.jpeg

72708E26-B501-4D23-967A-5067057F6293_1_105_c.jpeg

E75CD51F-B55F-4202-825E-53EADB9BF677_1_105_c.jpeg

6AE665CF-86A3-4D19-9744-B04687A48ED5_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by MajorTom
Reuploading "Lost" Photos
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

7 hours ago, MajorTom said:

What fun! Really enjoyed this topic, doing something with literally nothing nothing, thought I'd have a crack.

Cereal box type card, coffee stirrers (acquired one-a-day), a small grill from a Scalextric bits box and a knurled radiator cap comes from a picture hanging set. The figure was two paperclips skeleton with paper-mache padding. Paint was what I could find in the garage - odd wallpaints, some enamels and a bit of wood stain for the 'planks.'

The motor unit has been flipped back-to-front. If you do this then load the motor end up with weight - I used tyre weights. Otherwise it'll just wheelspin. Weight helps the carriages too

It rock and rolls over the points a bit and works better when the battery has run down.

An amusing distraction over a few wet days, thanks for the inspiration.

952ED5F1-630C-40B3-B023-FC00A0330524_1_105_c.jpeg

2799E0BE-CF72-4C99-A536-2AB4B0BD9BC5_1_105_c.jpeg

72708E26-B501-4D23-967A-5067057F6293_1_105_c.jpeg

4B389263-3C1F-41F9-87D0-365D1A182982_1_105_c.jpeg

6FB013A2-DE9A-4CD8-8CED-4A45531CABE5_1_105_c.jpeg

Quality! Run it in the garden, peat railway style! :locomotive:

• 4 weeks later...

I was pointed to this thread from another one after arriving independently at the same conclusion regarding these cheap train sets. 

I think that model shops should carry a small selection of these in stock to tempt children whilst with their parents in the shop! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 13/02/2021 at 18:19, papagolfjuliet said:

Inspired by this thread, I dug out a train set in a tin bought for me by my nieces a few years back, and was pleased to find that the chassis is an exact - and I mean exact - fit for the Tri-ang Nellie body, with no trimming or packing required. This one is the 1980s Hornby pushalong version of the Nellie, which handily came with plain buffer beams, and once I've added side skirts and painted the thing it should make for a nice little more or less Cape Gauge tramway engine. The cowcatcher is from a cheap plastic Wild West toy of unknown origin.

20210213_175825.jpg

Oh dear, I wish I hadn't seen this :)  I have loads of these sets on one side for a potential project, and a couple of spare Triang bodies.  I really don't need a new project, but I feel temptation calling...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben B said:

Oh dear, I wish I hadn't seen this :)  I have loads of these sets on one side for a potential project, and a couple of spare Triang bodies.  I really don't need a new project, but I feel temptation calling...

There’s some interesting looking 3ft gauge (close enough for these sets in 4mm scale) tank locos here: https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/IRISH-RAILWAYS/NARROW-GAUGE-LOCOMOTIVES/

Some of them even have tram skirts fitted.

• Like 1

Loving the steam tram. Drop on body, away you go! Always fancied an irish prototype. When the current projects are finished, of course........  :locomotive:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ben B said:

Do it.... do it..... do it.......

• Funny 1

On 30/03/2021 at 22:16, Ben B said:

You and me both. I have an old Triang Nellie, too beaten up for the project I originally bought it for, and one of these train sets, and I discovered that I could fit an oval of track on an old mini-blackboard I have, and now it's starting to look like a project.

14 hours ago, HonestTom said:

You and me both. I have an old Triang Nellie, too beaten up for the project I originally bought it for, and one of these train sets, and I discovered that I could fit an oval of track on an old mini-blackboard I have, and now it's starting to look like a project.

Chalk pit layout then............! :locomotive:

• Funny 3

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Right.  Here's the starting point. (top).  A bit of "mocking up" with a scaled, tweaked plan to fit the battery loco. An early Davies and Metcalfe, Vale of Rheidol, 2-6-2. I like.....

20201228_195339.jpg

20210316_001610.jpg

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 2

A couple of days bashing the plastic and she's taking shape! Had to jiggle the proportions very slightly to get a nice, snug fit over the donor loco body shell for easy battery removal. 

20210324_161214.jpg

20210324_175331.jpg

20210325_222806.jpg

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

1 hour ago, 33C said:

A couple of days bashing the plastic and she's taking shape! Had to jiggle the proportions very slightly to get a nice, snug fit over the donor loco body shell for easy battery removal. :locomotive: 20210324_161214.jpg.3ce44c279d11b933ff547424a9079138.jpg20210324_175331.jpg.a8c8c1354cf7ae321bac089898020e54.jpg20210325_222806.jpg.ad245956e2addfd28a8d4e2e511d5c10.jpg

Watching this one with interest!

What an inspiring thread! But........... I do now wish Secret Santa hadn't given me that Train Set in a Tin a few years ago, because I really, really don't need yet another project! I'll just watch others having fun.......for now.........is that it calling me from the loft? No, no, just ignore it...........! :read:

• Funny 1

8 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

Watching this one with interest!

What an inspiring thread! But........... I do now wish Secret Santa hadn't given me that Train Set in a Tin a few years ago, because I really, really don't need yet another project! I'll just watch others having fun.......for now.........is that it calling me from the loft? No, no, just ignore it...........! :read:

(muffled)...Neil..........Neil.........I want to be a proper train, Neil.........................

• Funny 3