Lazy Tortoise switch machines

Mick38

Does anyone have any suggestions for revving up a Tortoise motor? I have recently obtained two new ones from the USA (as local retailers are out of stock), one of which will only operate one way, the other which needs pushing to get it moving either way. I have checked 12volts DC at the terminals. I have a dozen others which give no problems. Returning to the States (from Australia) is rather a costly remedy. 

14 minutes ago, Mick38 said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for revving up a Tortoise motor? I have recently obtained two new ones from the USA (as local retailers are out of stock), one of which will only operate one way, the other which needs pushing to get it moving either way. I have checked 12volts DC at the terminals. I have a dozen others which give no problems. Returning to the States (from Australia) is rather a costly remedy. 

does it move freely by hand as you can push the arm. Also have you measured the current draw on stall and moving

Problem now identified as poor soldering of wires at the DPDT switches. While there was apparently full voltage at the motors, there was insufficient current to operate them. There is nothing wrong with the motors, thankfully. When I applied full 12v direct to the tortoise contacts they both worked fine. Thank you for your comments.

• Round of applause 2