Mitre boxes and razor saws for fine cut'n'shut work

On 07/10/2020 at 13:35, doilum said:

I should have mentioned the need to start by squaring up the sheet of Plastikard. They have nice straight edges but are rarely square.

That's one of the (few) things I remember from Woodwork classes at school. True up two adjacent faces  at ninety degrees and then mark them with a pencil (line - loop - line  rather like a Greek letter 'alpha'.

Another was to avoid blunt tools. They kept us busy all term with chisels you could sit on, when a decent edge would done the job in one afternoon session (Metalwork was no better with toothless files that were only fit for the bin.)

Edited by Il Grifone

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 23/09/2020 at 23:18, Clive Mortimore said:

Clean up any burrs, reassemble your jigsaw of bits to the required widow and door arrangement.

That gave me a bit of a Hoffnung at the Oxford Union moment, the Letters from Tyrolean Landlords bit.

"There is a French Widow in every bedroom affording delightful prospects"

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

On 07/10/2020 at 13:10, Il Grifone said:

That's one of the (few) things I remember from Woodwork classes at school. True up two adjacent faces  at ninety degrees and then mark them with a pencil (line - loop - line  rather like a Greek letter alpha.

Another was to avoid blunt tools. They kept us busy all term with chisels you could sit on, when a decent edge would done the job in one afternoon session (Metalwork was no better with toothless files that were only fit for the bin.)

We had a series of workshop technicians, old school guys who could fix anything, who kept all the cupboard chisels in perfect condition and the bench chisels not far behind. Anyone abusing a chisel could expect a length of 2x1 around their backside. Other staff brought chisels, garden shears and mower blades, which for the price of his daily liquid lunch, he would make perfect again. Happy days!