Dual Use Bay Platform 1980s/1990s?

Liam_uk

Hi,

Is There anywhere on the railway, (mainly looking at late 80s and early 90s), where a bay platform was used for multiple uses?

What I mean by that is on on side a platform for passenger and then on the other some form of industry, even if just van loading?

Cheers

Edited by Liam_uk

Crewe station used bays for a mix of passenger trains and parcels, at the south end.

Before the remodelling there were two dedicated parcels bay platforms but afterwards these ended up in the platforms that had been used for Cardiff services with the dedicated platforms removed - I assume at that point the remaining bays became dual use.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, clachnaharry said:

Thurso - there are many pictures of coal wagons in the bay platform, but I would presume they were unloaded on the offside.

I'm not sure how that was allowed, as there was no trap point.

The authority would be found in the relevant Sectional Appendix.  I would guess there was probably a slope away from the junction with the running line, and IIRC Thurso has a train shed, so wagons are unlikely to be blown about by the wind; they do get a bit of breeze up there sometimes I am led to believe...

Not a bay, but Platform 1 at Nottingham had a parcels platform on the "far" side in the 90s.  It's now the cycle storage.

I'm trying to think where I've seen bay platforms in use, still with the remains of end loading ramps.  

Edited by Edwin_m

1 hour ago, rab said:

Looking at your title, did you mean platforms

which different users fought over :)

I was more thinking a platform road that had one use one side (say passengers) and one use on the other (say some form of industry). 

55 minutes ago, Liam_uk said:

I was more thinking a platform road that had one use one side (say passengers) and one use on the other (say some form of industry). 

I think @rab was just trying to be funny.  Your title says 'duel' - which is an arranged combat between two people, whereas you actually meant to type 'dual' - meaning to have two purposes.

6 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

I think @rab was just trying to be funny.  Your title says 'duel' - which is an arranged combat between two people, whereas you actually meant to type 'dual' - meaning to have two purposes.

Obviously went over my head

changed now to avoid confusion :jester:

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Liam_uk said:

Obviously went over my head

changed now to avoid confusion :jester:

Sorry, another case of humour not working online.

Or perhaps it was my warped sense of humour :(

I'm not sure where "bays" end and "terminal platforms" begin, but at, many terminal stations some platforms are/were arranged to be multi-functional.

Euston is/was a clear example, where the western platforms were arranged particularly to facilitate use for trains of "all vans", with easy access to the outside world and the various sorting areas. Two of the platforms also had/have facility for end-loading, including OHLE anchor structures designed specifically to allow access.

That sort of use has pretty much ceased, but I do recall arriving on an Intercity train with two American tourists that I had got into conversation with. As the train pulled-in, the husband said, looking at a train of vans being un-loaded, parcels stacked all over the place, road vans and brute trolleys in profusion, and genuinely alarmed "My gosh! I think they accidentally put us in the freight terminal!"

4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I'm not sure where "bays" end and "terminal platforms" begin, but at, many terminal stations some platforms are/were arranged to be multi-functional.

Euston is/was a clear example, where the western platforms were arranged particularly to facilitate use for trains of "all vans", with easy access to the outside world and the various sorting areas. Two of the platforms also had/have facility for end-loading, including OHLE anchor structures designed specifically to allow access.

That sort of use has pretty much ceased, but I do recall arriving on an Intercity train with two American tourists that I had got into conversation with. As the train pulled-in, the husband said, looking at a train of vans being un-loaded, parcels stacked all over the place, road vans and brute trolleys in profusion, and genuinely alarmed "My gosh! I think they accidentally put us in the freight terminal!"

I've seen photographs of the old Bradford Forster Square station, back in the days when Bradford was pretty much the mail-order capital of the country, where the covered passenger concourse was full of parcels and cages/trollies.  Most of the platforms at the terminus station were by then (late 60's, early 70's) in use by parcel trains rather than the somewhat sparse DMU service, so I'd guess they were classed as multi-use.  All gone now of course with the modern, somewhat minimalist station that replaced the original.