BR 3/005 A Container A3843B

2 hours ago, 73c said:

Have a look at the Quorn wagon & wagon website, I believe they have 3 of the 5 that were built

According to Don Rowland, 3/005 A3843B was a unique fibreglass and steel, prototype A size container, built by Willerby to Lot 3403.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

According to Don Rowland, 3/005 A3843B was a unique fibreglass and steel, prototype A size container, built by Willerby to Lot 3403.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Willerby also built some almost identical ones for British Transport Waterways, the main difference appears to be the tie down points.  I haven't a clue what happened to it, but there used to be one (mid 1970s) at the Waterways Museum at Saville Town Basin in Dewsbury.

Adrian

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks John, I stand corrected. I'd only heard that the guys there had the unusual containers so put 2 and 2 together and got 5 :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Am I right in reading BR NER on the side? Presumably there was therefore a specific traffic in the north east in mind.

Jonathan

You are indeed. The obvious special traffic from the NE (ICI) was solid carbon dioxide for chilling purposes - but this would have required a highly insulated container.

John Isherwood.

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

You are indeed. The obvious special traffic from the NE (ICI) was solid carbon dioxide for chilling purposes - but this would have required a highly insulated container.

John Isherwood.

I think the 'NER' might have more to do with whoever was keeping an eye on it, as it was an experimental design. It appears to be a glass-fibre body; similar 'B' containers were built, again in penny numbers. I wonder if the 'Willerby', noted as the builder, is the same as the static caravan builders from Hull?

The 'dry-ice' containers had a very distinctive appearance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAURICE040947 said:

John have a look at this and scroll to the bottom. I haven't posted the picture  because of copywrite http://www.deuchars.org.uk/hiwb/boatgallery/goole.htm

very similar container but designed for the Inland Waterways.

Regards

The likeness is striking, is it not?

Regards,

John Isherwood.