Missenden Railway Modellers go on line ...again.... Virtual Spring Weekend 6 and 7 March

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I now have identified a need for a layout based on a Col. Stephens light railway. I never knew this before today and would thank Jerry for bringing this to my attention.

Just place it in the queue and make it await its turn. No point in rushing things now, is there?

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Darned apostrophe where I'm certain I didn't type one!

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoyed both sessions today. Jerry really brought home to me how much more realistic the model is if there is a back story based on fact.
I’ve taken part and seen Mick’s weathering sessions and demos many times and as always learned something new.
Great stuff from both Jerry and Mick. Thanks.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Just place it in the queue and make it await its turn. No point in rushing things now, is there?

0h gosh, yes Mick. 

More than enough to be going on with for now. 

Current plans remain current.

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks all for the kind words. Anyone who knows me won't be particularly surprised that I had problems with the technology. Thanks to lots of very patient advice we did eventually arrive at a satisfactory solution and I have now sent all the pictures used in the presentation, plus a few extra in response  to questions,  up to the Missenden  boffins  so hopefully they will appear in the next few days.

Jerry

• Like 3

A big thank you to everyone involved, loved the content and as yet I've not even looked at Mick's weathering session. Planning that with a cuppa a bit later :)

I really enjoyed the weathering with oils video with Andrew Thompson, those fading techniques are something I've read about but it makes a big difference seeing someone do it. 

I've a question for Mick. A while back you weathered a Peckett using oils, putting on layers of paint to build up the effect, would that be the same method used in the Oil weathering video, just putting on slightly more layers to get a slightly different effect? 

Also, would I be right in thinking you could use other colours for different liveries I.E fading BR green or Black, would it still work? 

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by sb67
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

I've a question for Mick. A while back you weathered a Peckett using oils, putting on layers of paint to build up the effect, would that be the same method used in the Oil weathering video, just putting on slightly more layers to get a slightly different effect? 

Also, would I be right in thinking you could use other colours for different liveries I.E fading BR green or Black, would it still work? 

Hi Steve,

The Peckett was done in much the same way. I used much thinner layers than Andrew and more of them, but the method was the same.

Andrew's method can be used with any colour, so you simply mix a lighter shade than the model's base colour. If you were working with other base colours you would need to be sure that your end result suits your eye, so check on a piece of something that doesn't matter before committing to anything. One advantage of using oils is that they can be removed very easily with white spirit.

• Thanks 1

All of the recordings of the live session are now online. This includes Jerry's presentation with the pictures edited in and some extra pictures not seen at the time but promised by Jerry. We have also added some extra videos of Mick weathering rolling stock that adds to the live weathering demo that he did on Sunday. These, along with all the rest of the weekend content, are available on the website.

Edited by GWMark
fixed typo
  • Thanks 6

Had a pleasant afternoon catching up on the videos and content. For me the weathering content is fantastic, even the basic stuff. It's one thing reading about the methods but to see them being done in real time is really helpful. 

Well done Mick and everyone else involved. :good_mini:

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 3