Liverpool bus routes in 1953

fodenway

I'm contemplating a number of small Liverpool transport dioramas,one of which includes the Liverpool Overhead Railway's Dingle Station buildings on Park Road, set around 1953/4 after the tram service had been abandoned in that part of the city. Does anyone know the number of the replacement bus service (from the city centre). and what route would the service have taken? Would it have followed the former tram route from the Pierhead, or were there changes? 

• Like 1

Thanks Phil,

if it's "Liverpool Transport" vol 4 1939-57, I have that book but it doesn't give the definitive answer (if it does, I've missed it), but evidence points to it being service number 3. I'd still like clarification of the actual route taken, both inbound and outbound if anyone can help.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Its 'A nostalgic look at Liverpool trams 1945-1957' by Steve Palmer & Brian Martin. I've checked it but there seems to be no reference to the bus services. The tram service was route number 3 but sadly no mention of bus services.

The buses kept the tram routes for some time afterwards. If you've got those then they will still be valid.

This was the single digit, sometimes with a letter system.

It was later on they changed the numbers due to all the new build houses in the suburbs. It worked on a wheel system with low numbers being city centre, then medium numbers going north and high numbers south. I think that happened in the early 1960s.

The relevant ones would be the 2x and 8x numbers. Such as 26 and 27 on a circular route and 80, 82 and 86 going to Speke/Garston. Ones with a 7x went to Woolton, Halewood and Netherley. 8x numbers Garston and Speke. There was also some cross city services in the 6x numbers that may be relevant. If they had an A suffix they went to the airport.

This system is still in use.

This may be of use. No idea of date but pre 1970.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmc1947/8406624274

Jason

• Like 1

If all else fails you could try contacting the following...............
Merseyside Transport Trust which is the group restoring and preserving vehicles that operated for Liverpool Corporation/Merseyside PTE.  While route data isnt central to their aims members may be able to help.

Website is    www.mttrust.co.uk............they also have a Facebook presence.

Merseyside Tramway Preservation Society ..............no contact details given on their website but their  Archivist is Mr. David Taylor, 217 Heath Road South, Weston Village, Runcorn  WA7 4LY.

Hope this may be of help. 

• Like 1

Fodenway…… some follow –up on your query.

Liverpool Transport Vol 4 Horne/Maund  bottom page 48 and top of page 49………… 

“… The second (tram) route for conversion was the short cross-city route 3 between Spellow Lane and Dingle which was chosen for early attention…..buses  took over on 12th Dec 1948 on an identical route..”

Appendix 34  page 239  12.12.48 3 Walton-Dingle trams replaced by buses

Appendix 46 LCPT Bus map  1957 shows bus route 3 as still terminating in Dingle

Also ref your    “Would it have followed the former tram route from the Pierhead”.   As far as I can see route 3 was a cross city route via Limestreet and as such I don’t think would have detoured down to the Pierhead.  There may have been other services from the Pierhead terminus eg to Garston which may have travelled via Dingle en route, but that would require further detailed research.

And  as further comment just FYI, Recreation21 offers a 3D printed model of an Overhead Railway carriage available in various scales and Mike Edge had an etched bass kit for one at one time too.

Good luck with your project.

Xliverpoollad
Toronto

• Like 1

On 23/09/2020 at 17:43, fodenway said:

Thanks Phil,

if it's "Liverpool Transport" vol 4 1939-57, I have that book but it doesn't give the definitive answer (if it does, I've missed it), but evidence points to it being service number 3. I'd still like clarification of the actual route taken, both inbound and outbound if anyone can help.

Same book. there are quite a few piccys from the same author.

Liverpool CPTD - timetables May 1954 - bus route 3 - Dingle - Walton

• Like 1

• 1 month later...