This V This in a 42?

swiftbeam

Hi,

I have two of these fitted in my Heljan O gauge Warship.

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=223_239&product_id=432

All sounds very good, but it does sound rather like two speakers in a box (slightly muffled), which is what they are!

What would happen if I swapped one of them for one of these, or swapped both for two of these?

https://www.digitrains.co.uk/slim-boom-box.html

I'm looking to try and loose some of the 'muffle' and bring in some slightly higher tones.

All sounds a bit strangled at the mo.

Thanks.

Hi Richard,

That's not actually what I'm asking and I have no idea who you are or what your business is?

All I need is some info about what you can and can't put on a decoder so as not to blow it up. ie, can I put 10 home hifi speakers on the smallest decoder, can I link 15 speakers in a chain and expect it to work, can I use a 10,000ohm speaker on a decoder, if yes, how many etc etc.

I just need to know the basics of speaker specs and what is relative to our DCC decoders. What speaker works in what loco is absolutely pointless as everybody hears differently and wants different things. BUT the maths of what will work with what does NOT change, and that's what I want to know. 

Looking on the net, all I find is info on guitar amps and home hifi, not much good to me really, and I just end up reading hours of stuff that doesn't apply mostly.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, swiftbeam said:

Hi,

I have two of these fitted in my Heljan O gauge Warship.

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=223_239&product_id=432

All sounds very good, but it does sound rather like two speakers in a box (slightly muffled), which is what they are!

What would happen if I swapped one of them for one of these, or swapped both for two of these?

https://www.digitrains.co.uk/slim-boom-box.html

I'm looking to try and loose some of the 'muffle' and bring in some slightly higher tones.

All sounds a bit strangled at the mo.

Thanks.

You could ask in the leggomanbiffo topic on this forum.  However is there any way the sound can get out or is the loco sealed?  Muffled is the clue, those speakers appear to have a good reputation normally.

15 minutes ago, swiftbeam said:

Hi Richard,

That's not actually what I'm asking and I have no idea who you are or what your business is?

Search youtube for Roads & Rails.

Richard has uploaded loads of useful videos which show he has a lot of experience with different projects, models & speakers.

Hi, I just need a to find a page on the net that goes over the basics of what you can and can't fit onto decoders so I can buy in some speakers and have a play without blowing up hundreds of pounds worth of gear. 

I'd like to have a play with a mix of 'Bass' speakers and 'tweeters', but I have no idea what can go on what and how many of each.

Just the basic stuff really, there is only so many times I can ask Digitrains and take up there time! I am buying gear from them as I ask, but they have a business to run and my spendings will not cover the down time they give to me to answer basic questions. So I assumed I could as the basics here?

There is such a wide choice of speakers, models & projects that in many cases it has become a matter of personal preference.

For fitting guides, I often check Youchoos, but most of the vendors are modellers first & sales people second, so will usually be helpful.

Of course you can ask the basics here although some combinations may not have been tried.

The basics is probably once again down to reading the manual for the decoders that you are playing with - they should be on the manufacturer's website.  The old ESU Loksound v3.5 decoders used 100 ohm speakers.  The newer V4 and V5 versions, I think, work best with 4 ohm speakers, although if you use 8 ohm speakers they should still operate, but will be quieter.  I think the Hornby TTS decoders use 8 ohm speakers, while the newer Zimo decoders use either 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers, I can't remember which.

If you're planning on using more than one speaker, then you'll need to ensure that you get a combination that meets the decoder requirements, which depends on whether you are wiring the speakers in series or in parallel.

You'll also need to look at the power output of the decoder that you are playing with and ensure that you have a sufficiently powerful speaker (the Watt rating).  Since you're using decoders for 0 gauge, they are likely to have a higher power output (sometimes 3 Watt), so you need to ensure you have speakers that are suitable.

Edited by Dungrange

Is this website any help - https://www.speakerimpedance.co.uk/?act=two_parallel&page=calculator

Type in the power output of your decoder (into the Amp power).  Then enter the ohm rating for the speakers you would like to use in the combination that you'd like to wire them (series or parallel) and it will tell you the total impedance of your speaker combination, which you can check against the decoder manual, and the power rating that the speakers you intend to use should be.

1 hour ago, Richard Croft said:

I tried to help you, and I have in the past. I didn't realise that I needed to introduce myself first. What my business is and who I am isn't actually relevant to my answer. My point was that what you are after isn't really possible, there are too many variations to make a simple guide about it.

At the rate you're upsetting the sound providers your best bet would be to find one you like, politely ask them for advice, then stick with them for all your decoders and speakers.

Richard

Thank you for the link to the speaker site Dungrange.

Richard,

I said,

"Rather than keep asking questions, does anybody know of a site I can go to that gives a good overall of DCC speakers, there suitability and compatibility? "

You replied,

"Someone asked me a similar question the other day"

Please note the word "anybody" in my question, and the word "me" in your reply. I was not asking you personally for a reply and I was most certainly not asking you to add anything onto your site. You seem to have taken my open question personally?

If I am annoying the sound providers, that's unfortunate as all I'm trying to do is get the very expensive equipment they sold me working well. It is true I have dealt with a few DCC sellers and not been overly happy with some of the service I've had. I do note with interest that they are always very keen to take my money. I've had chats with friends about some of the traders I've used and they are also very unimpressed. 

As you say, if I've found traders I can work with, I will stick with them and seek their advice before buying their products rather than asking here. I would also very much appreciate you PM'ing me the list of all the traders that are unhappy with me, you clearly know a few. This will help me avoid them and upsetting them further.

I will do as you tell me and only contact the traders that I like. I'll not post here anymore, and I am sincerely sorry for upsetting anybody involved with me.

Over and out.

Rob.

Edited by swiftbeam