About to start on my next winter..........

halsey

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I've just today I turned on my DCC controller and started to get my stock of (all Bachmann) locos going - all 5 steam locos seem to running be OK and my 2 diesels are  being "grumpy"- is it a reality that the means of propulsion on (Bachmann) diesels is more temperamental than on steam??

Is it unrealistic to expect to go back to my layout after 6 months clean the track (which is OK and understandable) and expect all locos to work??

I seem to remember from last winter that the diesels seemed to be far more sensitive to track conditions and servicing - this is new to me but is this a well known issue to others??

I think I'm going to move these items on - they do both work perfectly OK but just seem to need more care and attention - deep down I prefer steam anyway so its not a big issue .

Comments???

QUESTION Is there a star/stand out performing DCC fitted (Bachmann?) LMS or BR Early Emblem steam loco out there 

Edited by halsey

• halsey changed the title to About to start on my next winter..........
7 hours ago, halsey said:

I've just today I turned on my DCC controller and started to get my stock of (all Bachmann) locos going - all 5 steam locos seem to running be OK and my 2 diesels are  being "grumpy"- is it a reality that the means of propulsion on (Bachmann) diesels is more temperamental than on steam??

Is it unrealistic to expect to go back to my layout after 6 months clean the track (which is OK and understandable) and expect all locos to work??

I seem to remember from last winter that the diesels seemed to be far more sensitive to track conditions and servicing - this is new to me but is this a well known issue to others?...

Quite the reverse in my experience. The all wheel drive and pick up combined with good mass makes them very reliable and less temperamental than steam. One singular weakness though, which I correct the moment basic testing has proved the model is reliable. That's the clip on connections of the wires to the circuit board. It's not the best assembly method and soldering all these connections makes a world of difference.

7 hours ago, halsey said:

Is there a star/stand out performing DCC fitted (Bachmann?) LMS or BR Early Emblem steam loco out there 

LMS: Fairburn 2-6-4T

BR: 9F 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Quite the reverse in my experience. The all wheel drive and pick up combined with good mass makes them very reliable and less temperamental than steam. One singular weakness though, which I correct the moment basic testing has proved the model is reliable. That's the clip on connections of the wires to the circuit board. It's not the best assembly method and soldering all these connections makes a world of difference.

LMS: Fairburn 2-6-4T

BR: 9F 

Thanks - is the circuit board tip a diesel tip or a steam tip (or both?) 

Will review both Locos........

Ah, Bachmann's  DMU's are different again from their twin bogie diesel traction design!

The pick up on the  split axle principle is very good, all wheels pick up, but the transfer between bogies and the body PCB is made by rubbing contacts. Soldering on flexible wire links is one solution. Adding track power links between powered and trailer cars makes them 'bombproof', whole unit picking up on all wheels.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Ah, Bachmann's  DMU's are different again from their twin bogie diesel traction design!

The pick up on the  split axle principle is very good, all wheels pick up, but the transfer between bogies and the body PCB is made by rubbing contacts. Soldering on flexible wire links is one solution. Adding track power links between powered and trailer cars makes them 'bombproof', whole unit picking up on all wheels.

More info please......................thanks - other Diesel loco (LMS10000) now running OK - it was a plastic bar link between the bogie and the motor which seemed to have sprung out. 

If you take the bodies off the DMU's - quite a struggle to avoid damage on the Cravens (class 105) which I have - you can then remove the seating moulding to uncover the PCB. Identify the PCB tracks which carry track power. Solder on thin flexible wire to link these tracks between the vehicles. Thus far I have made mine permanently wired pairs, but a plug and socket could be arranged, or even conductive couplings if desired.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/09/2020 at 07:33, halsey said:

The DMU seems to be the most temperamental so I will have a look at that later.........

Thanks

I seem to have improved the running of this unit by changing the CV1 value from 1 to 50 (I tried 10/25/100 values) - does that make sense - I haven't really "played" with CV settings since making the DC/DCC change so I think this year I will take the plunge a bit more.

Edited by halsey

The Bachmann DMU's seem particularly prone to poor running after an interval. I found a lot of this is due to excess grease on the axles and bearings, which as these are the conducting path for the current makes problems hardly surprising.

One solution is to fit proper wiper pickups to the backs of the wheels, otherwise a good clean and minimal lubrication seems to do the trick in most cases.

John.

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

The Bachmann DMU's seem particularly prone to poor running after an interval. I found a lot of this is due to excess grease on the axles and bearings, which as these are the conducting path for the current makes problems hardly surprising.

One solution is to fit proper wiper pickups to the backs of the wheels, otherwise a good clean and minimal lubrication seems to do the trick in most cases.

John.

Thanks - it is now running much better and after having left it doing so for about an hour.

I think I am possibly falling into the novices trap of over lubricating, I'm using the right oil and its only on the running gear as I don't like taking bodies on and off  too much but I might do some IPA cleaning and review.

15 minutes ago, halsey said:

Thanks - it is now running much better and after having left it doing so for about an hour.

I think I am possibly falling into the novices trap of over lubricating, I'm using the right oil and its only on the running gear as I don't like taking bodies on and off  too much but I might do some IPA cleaning and review.

I'm glad you're seeing improvement.

The excess grease I referred to was put on in the factory, and is a regular curse of much RTR. Bachmann locos generally used to be dreadful, but also other makes as well. Thankfully they seem less prone these days to going berserk with the grease gun!

You actually don't need much oil at all, and I've found the bottles supplied by the likes of Labelle with a thin pipe feed help get the stuff where its needed and nowhere else. It is literally one or two drops on an axle bearing, probably just one. It's worth as well wiping off any excess after you've oiled before going back on the track, otherwise you're just increasing your cleaning workload for the future! There are some thicker greases available for the worms and gears if needed but to access you do need to get inside. Again, you only need a tiny bit and it will work its way around.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/09/2020 at 12:22, halsey said:

I seem to have improved the running of this unit by changing the CV1 value from 1 to 50 (I tried 10/25/100 values) - does that make sense - I haven't really "played" with CV settings since making the DC/DCC change so I think this year I will take the plunge a bit more.

Hi

I’m intrigued how changing the short address has any effect on how well it runs.

CV1 - Short address

CV17 & 18 plus CV29 bit 5 = 1 - Long address

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

I’m intrigued how changing the short address has any effect on how well it runs.

CV1 - Short address

CV17 & 18 plus CV29 bit 5 = 1 - Long address

Cheers

Paul

I should have been more clear - it changes the response time from stationary which I prefer