Bromsgrove water tower

Compound2632

• RMweb Premium

@Annie is making improvements to a digital model of the Lickey Incline, including Bromsgrove station. I've been feeding her snippets of information from Terry Essery's Saltley Firing Days (Silver Link, 1994; there are other editions under the title Firing Days at Saltley. In particular, we've been looking at Bromsgrove South signal box and the adjacent relief cabin, In the background of photos of this can be seen a water tower of distinctly Great Western aspect; it appears to be very like one at Henley in Arden, which has every appearance of dating from the building of the North Warwickshire line in 1908. It is prominent in a May 1956 photo on p. 143 of Essery's book.

So, how to account for the intrusion of this piece of Wessey infrastructure at a thoroughgoingly Midland location?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

No I hadn't seen that photo before teaky and it certainly helps to answer a few questions I have about the south end of Bromsgrove.

The digital layout I'm working on was put together back in 2008 and it uses a lot of S&C models since that was all that was available for the LMS/LMR in Trainz back then.  Still is what's largely available even now, so compromises were made by the original layout builder and some of them I'm going to have to accept.  Otherwise the track layouts are reasonably true to prototype, but simplified here and there. 

As to the incline itself the original builder took a lot of trouble survey it out correctly which is why I decided to see if I could fix some of the missing items such as Bromsgrove South signal box and other railway related things in the area around it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, teaky said:

I expect Annie has seen this but it may be of interest to others.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/14772833736

I think it's Midland rather than GWR.

I found one just like it the other day when looking for the prototype for the Airfix kit. I'll post it if I can find it again.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think it's Midland rather than GWR.

I found one just like it the other day when looking for the prototype for the Airfix kit. I'll post it if I can find it again.

That will be interesting. It's quite unlike the "classic" Midland design with a tank bolted together from 4 ft x 3 ft plates on a brick or stone plinth, generally serving as a store, but that doesn't prevent it being an early 20th century addition. In which case, I invert my question, why has Henley-in-Arden got a Midland water tower? I suppose, both could be from the same third-party supplier of water towers.