Mystery 4mm loco chassis etch - any ID ideas please?

MarkC

43 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Could it be the North London 4-4-0T?

That was one of my first thoughts, but came to the conclusion that it couldn't be on measurement grounds, 8' coupled wheelbase (7' on the etch), 6' connecting rods, (7' on the etch) .

This is fun, wonder who will actually land this slippery fish?

• RMweb Gold

I think the axle holes with springs are for leading wheels in a rigid chassis, not driving wheels, which suggests an early prototype, with inside frames.  This makes life even more confusing; I’m not helping, am I mummy?  Not wide enough for Pearson 4-2-4T, not broad gauge.  

1 hour ago, Bucket of Steam said:

I'm kind of tempted to try printing the photo onto thick paper, and then cutting out and folding up, and see what it looks like.

Sounds a good idea

4 hours ago, MarkC said:

Hi John.

Thanks for joining in.

I have absolutely no idea what it is.

Folding the main piece up? That might be a good idea. It does seem to have folk at a loss...

Cheers,

Mark

Mark

Any chance of having a photo of the other side please, just to see if there are any fold lines on the rear of the etch

Do we recon the folds are on the outside ?

11 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Sounds a good idea

Mark

Any chance of having a photo of the other side please, just to see if there are any fold lines on the rear of the etch

Do we recon the folds are on the outside ?

Here's the other side - with no etched fold lines.

I'll see if I can find some card & print a copy for folding.

Thanks all for taking an interest - it's much appreciated.

Mark

20200925_154715.jpg

On 24/09/2020 at 11:10, MarkC said:

Hello all.

The etch seen in the accompanying photo came in an eBay purchase. It's not from the kit I bought, but I'm puzzled as to what it might be for. There are no coupling rods, but there are some connecting rods that look NER style at first glance.

Any ideas please?

Cheers,

Mark

20200924_110344.jpg

Looking at the center spacer, if both sides are folded down, the front part of the splcer has two folds if the front (wide) part was folded up, as the second part is bent down the wide part fits into the flat part , perhaps for sitting a cylinder on. Between the two big drivers are there cutouts to accept a Bulldog or X03 motor.

If the bottom left etch is a front bogie whats the middle etch between the bogie and what we think is a tender coupling. Or is the tender coupling  part of the pickups and the holes are to hold the insulator as on the early wills etched chassis ?>

3 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Looking at the center spacer, if both sides are folded down, the front part of the splcer has two folds if the front (wide) part was folded up, as the second part is bent down the wide part fits into the flat part , perhaps for sitting a cylinder on. Between the two big drivers are there cutouts to accept a Bulldog or X03 motor.

If the bottom left etch is a front bogie whats the middle etch between the bogie and what we think is a tender coupling. Or is the tender coupling  part of the pickups and the holes are to hold the insulator as on the early wills etched chassis ?>

I'd agree that it has a standard mount for an X-04 motor; surely it must be a 4-4-0(T) or an 0-4-4(T).

John Isherwood.

Hi all again.

Ok to throw something else into the ring. If it is an 0-4-4. Could it be a replacement chassis for a Triang/Hornby M7. But my money is still on an 0-6-2 with a compensated rear driving wheel set. H/D N2 replacement chassis perhaps.

Edited by cypherman

Pretty sure it's an 0-4-4T given the dummy springs under the driving wheels, the inclined angle of the upper frame for the motor, beneath which are arches for a trailing bogie.

Since the other kit was for an NER prototype, it seems reasonable that this is also for an ex-NER loco - a G5?  

6 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Pretty sure it's an 0-4-4T given the dummy springs under the driving wheels, the inclined angle of the upper frame for the motor, beneath which are arches for a trailing bogie.

Since the other kit was for an NER prototype, it seems reasonable that this is also for an ex-NER loco - a G5?  

Connecting rods on the etch rules out a G5.

The way that the main chassis has that carefully sculpted thin cross section at the right hand side suggests to me that this is the front of the engine.  If that part was intended to fit under a cab, or a bunker, I would expect the top edge to be flat.

If we assume ( dangerous )  that the buffers are mounted on the centerline of the right hand end of that thin section, and that the buffers are a normal height above rail level, then can we calculate what diameter driving wheels would be required to hold the buffers at normal height. ( of course it's possible that the buffer centerline  is above footplate height, like some Southern engines).

A quick visual suggests that would mean very small diameter driving wheels, so probably not a sensible idea.

Edited by Bucket of Steam

I would concur that the driving wheels must be small. Here's a quick sketch showing how 7ft and 5ft 3in wheels compare for the drivers (4mm scale) - bogie wheels are drawn at 3ft 6in. Even allowing for large flanges, large driving wheels don't look right compared with the etched height of the cutouts for the bogie wheels.

chassis.jpg.e07700605ae2da0157b739aff3f15324.jpg

Wheelbase is 24mm + 24mm + 27mm, based on the scale in the original photo

The diameters I chose were just guesses. If the bogie wheels were slightly bigger and/or set slightly lower then the driving wheels could be a bit bigger - say up to 6ft?

• Informative/Useful 1

42 minutes ago, £1.38 said:

I would concur that the driving wheels must be small. Here's a quick sketch showing how 7ft and 5ft 3in wheels compare for the drivers (4mm scale) - bogie wheels are drawn at 3ft 6in. Even allowing for large flanges, large driving wheels don't look right compared with the etched height of the cutouts for the bogie wheels.

chassis.jpg.e07700605ae2da0157b739aff3f15324.jpg

Wheelbase is 24mm + 24mm + 27mm, based on the scale in the original photo

The diameters I chose were just guesses. If the bogie wheels were slightly bigger and/or set slightly lower then the driving wheels could be a bit bigger - say up to 6ft?

Where do you think the other etch with springs on ? 4-6-0 or 4-6-0T ?

Hi all,

Well here is a thought. Perhaps it is a generic etch that could be used for both 0-4-4 and 0-6-2. That's why the last set of drivers were on a separate mounting. Did any kit builders ever do this. Make a chassis etch that could be used on several of their different kits. Though looking at what I think is the base fitting for the rear bogie on the botton left it is only big enough to fit a single wheel. My god this is fun and brain taxing........ :)

Edited by cypherman

1 hour ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Well here is a thought. Perhaps it is a generic etch that could be used for both 0-4-4 and 0-6-2. That's why the last set of drivers were on a separate mounting. Did any kit builders ever do this. Make a chassis etch that could be used on several of their different kits. Though looking at what I think is the base fitting for the rear bogie on the botton left it is only big enough to fit a single wheel. My god this is fun and brain taxing........ :)

K's and the predecessor who designed the 42/52/72 xx built a 2-8-0T / 2-8-2T admittedly a brass bar chassis but I have 2 etched kits from another manufacturer where you have to solder a frame extension to both sides. I think also there is a Golden Arrow 009 chassis which has 2 alternative driver combinations. Did not Wills Finecast do a southern tank loco either 0-6-0T or 0-4-2T 

1 minute ago, Tim V said:

To me that 'extension' looked like a truck. I'm going to bid Adams Radial Tank. 4-4-2, outside cylinders.

I did think that at the time. But something put me off. I was thinking that the placement of the motor would be a bit awkward.

If so we are probably back to Peter K or Kemilway as they did one.