Mystery 4mm loco chassis etch - any ID ideas please?

MarkC

• RMweb Gold

Do 7mm scale models use 1/8th diameter axles like 4mm used to?  If so, it could be for a narrow gauge 7mm loco.  There is of course nothing to confirm that it is for a British prototype.  I'm still voting for a solid inside framed outside cylinder 4-2-2 with the leading and trailing wheels fixed in the frames and the driving wheels on a sub frame, but as we've discounted the Stirling single because of the fluted conrod, I can't think of anything now but Cromptons.

• RMweb Gold

May I tentatively suggest a 4-4-0 outside-cylindered tank locomotive, which would appear to drive on the rear axle. The 'fly' here is a leading bogie, and a trailing truck. Add to that, is provision for a tender coupling. 

If it's a 4-4-0T, I'd take a long shot on something like a TVR I class, or a C class atlantic.  A LBSC I3, perchance?  Although there is provision for outside cylinders, the etch might allow the cylinder omission.

Assuming it's 4mm, what are the centres on the (assumed) axle apetures? 

Cheers,

Ian. 

Hello all. My apologies for absence - I have been away from home for the last week. I'm definitely minded to fold the main etch up and see what we have. Won't be tonight, but hopefully in the next couple of days. Watch this space...

My thanks again to all contributors to the thread - we all like a mystery, it would seem :D

Mark

• Like 1