DMU bufferbeam MU equipment

10 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

I need to add MU equipment to my DMU. Does anybody know of any parts available or how to scratch build convincing MU equipment?

I have some Craftsman DMU sockets etc spare Cheesysmith. I wasnt happy with these so scratch built my own from plastic rod turned and shaped in power drill to shape

NL

• RMweb Premium

I used different thicknesses of wire - paper clip or similar for the brake pipes, and copper wire (probably from an old point motor coil) for the MU cables.  The receptacles under the buffer beam are from bits of plastic rod.

IMG_2014.jpg.1f7a42108bcc3f0a44e152b0af3d1282.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I soldered some wagon pin point bearing cups to a strip of brass and soldered brass wire loops, filling the bearings with filler and sanding back flush, on the socket only pairs of course no wire loops.  This copied from pics and also having discounted the craftsman items as being a bit too chunky.  Still got several bags of vacuum  pipes and smiths  screw couplings  as well.  All intended for MTK kits - that is how old they are!  

The lucky thing is finding clear front end pics - as all a nice rail grunge/poo colour! and I can confirm filthy when handled so they can be impressionist.     I have seen elastic cord cores used as these more forgiving of TLC  interference.   Some dedicated soul also glued micro magnets on brake pipes so these can be coupled up , so see why shunters are worth their weight in gold on the railway. 

Happy modelling!  

• Like 2