Britain’s experiment in radical rail privatisation is over

I had the misfortune to travel on a bendy-bus in London once. No seat and no view out either. Much prefer upstairs on a double decker. If you're travelling any distance even if it starts of full upstairs there's usually a chance to get a seat as people get off during the journey.

Although what this has to do with Rail Privatisation I've no idea!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

I seem to remember that with the London ones we opted not to fit some equipment which German ones had and that led to the fires.

Jonathan

I was under the impression the fires on the ex london bendy buses were when they were shipped overseas to Malta not when they were in the capital.

As I understand it the issues with them in London were extended dwell times at stops and an inability to manoeuvre on a lot of the routes. 

10 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

I was under the impression the fires on the ex london bendy buses were when they were shipped overseas to Malta not when they were in the capital.

As I understand it the issues with them in London were extended dwell times at stops and an inability to manoeuvre on a lot of the routes. 

8 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Its the bus replacement service :D

Dave

Sorry for going off topic, but they went up on fire in London and did they run a few pedestrians over?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bendy-buses-taken-off-london-streets-in-fire-probe-5355252.html

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

I seem to remember that with the London ones we opted not to fit some equipment which German ones had and that led to the fires.

Jonathan

Aha London, German, Fires seems to ring a bell?

AFAIR, there were 2 versions, one had the engine in the trailer bit, which pushed the whole affair along, the other was a more normal approach, with the engine driving the axle of the bus part, which then just towed the trailer. 

I'm not sure which was the better design (both had their pro's and con's) or which was the more prone to catching fire!

Edited by jcm@gwr
visual!