Ford Mondeo Mk2 in 00 available

ianmacc

Needs to be white, "Aspen" spec, steel wheels with most of the hubcaps fallen off, a 1.8D badge on the back, and it must be permanently attached to the bumper of the car infront by a too-short braking distance. If there's anyway you can get a middle-management sales type in a crumpled suit folded into the front of the kit talking on a large Erikson mobile that'd be perfect.

Edited by Nova Scotian
  • Funny 3

I often get that feeling. Back in the early seventies when I bought my first car (a 1958 Borgward Isabella Combi), most cars of ten years old or more were probably one MOT away from the breakers yard, and certainly looked very different from the new models of that era. My friends' son has a twelve year old VW Jetta, and it looks little different to every other car on the road. Is it just me?!

• Agree 4

If you look at some of the pictures in the Manchester Archives, their planning department ones in particular, you see ordinary cars in the street that are four or five years old with very obvious rust marks starting to show. Modern ones tend to look pretty good at 10 years old unless they've been pranged. Also integrated plastic body coloured bumpers and generally aerodynamic shapes have been pretty much standard for the last 30 years. The latter wasn't that important in the '50s and '60s in general and bumpers were usually chromed in the '50s and '60s, black coming into style during the '70s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 26/09/2020 at 01:06, Nova Scotian said:

Needs to be white, "Aspen" spec, steel wheels with most of the hubcaps fallen off, a 1.8D badge on the back, and it must be permanently attached to the bumper of the car infront by a too-short braking distance. If there's anyway you can get a middle-management sales type in a crumpled suit folded into the front of the kit talking on a large Erikson mobile that'd be perfect.

No, sorry, needs to be a Verona hatchback in Juice Green Metallic,  latterly with grey primed bumpers.

When I told the missus what colour it was she said I'm not driving a lime green car!

Steve

Edited by divibandit
extra detail in text
  • Funny 1

I have a 2002 golf  that still looks pretty good .Apart from an easy fixable whack on a rear arch following a  fight with a rather tight  fitting multi story  after possibly a Jack too many after an exuberant  blues jam  session .The main problem it has is the air con compressor has packed up which due to a summer lock down didnt really matter in the end .We like it for our two furry Lhasas .If it passes its MOT reasonably next tome  it will be a keeper.Seems OK at present .When I bought it a few yeas ago most people thought I had bought a new car .I like it as its a though a 1.6 auto it goes well and handles nicely and with plenty of umph or at least enough for me . I have been looking at Honda jazz or Civics.I dont do a lot of millage  now mainly as my daughter always visits  us loaded with kids, dogs ,bunnies etc not forgetting the new hamster  and I am super bored with the A11 after decades of going to London and tracks on an almost weekly basis.

Edited by friscopete

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/09/2020 at 18:58, fodenway said:

I often get that feeling. Back in the early seventies when I bought my first car (a 1958 Borgward Isabella Combi), most cars of ten years old or more were probably one MOT away from the breakers yard, and certainly looked very different from the new models of that era. My friends' son has a twelve year old VW Jetta, and it looks little different to every other car on the road. Is it just me?!

Update - he no longer has the Jetta. After clipping a lamp post he hit a dry-stone wall head on and demolished it, spun round and flattened another section of the same wall with the back of the car forty feet further along the road and came to rest on a grass verge facing back the way he'd just come. Fortunately he wasn't injured, but the car has gone to the scrapyard. At least it will be obvious why it's in there, unlike most of the others, neither crashed, rusty or old - just uneconomical to diagnose and repair faulty electronic componentry.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...