Codar Controller Wiring Diagram

Frank Sharp

I have been resurrecting some Codar Controllers which are probably 40 years old. There were several versions. These are panel mounting in a very basic folded aluminium case. On each end at the back are pairs of screw connections. These were so you could add on a inertia / braking rotary switch. Somewhere I have one of these if I can find it. However I haven't the diagram or instructions on how to wire it in.

Please does someone have the instructions?

There's no point in me posting pictures of the controllers, I bought them S/H and they'd been somewhere damp and the aluminium face plates were quite corroded so I've rubbed them back to bare metal and made new facias. They are now fuchsia in colour! 

I have a small collection of similar dated controllers, you wouldn't believe the number of different ideas that were tried to get good slow running out of fairly indifferent motors. Some of them relied on the motor to sink the last bit of power and never truly turned down to zero output. Modern motors like Mashimas won't stop! There's a wiring diagram of a Codar on this site but it isn't what I've got!

• RMweb Premium

Frank:

Is this the 2-part controller?

Digession:

I received mine when a friend in Englnd went to DCC. I brought it back on the plane in the top of my carry-on luggage. The inspectors didn't say a thing.

• RMweb Premium

The first unit (CM1) has speed control and direction. There is a pair of blue wires which are AC in 14/18 V. The red and black pair are track power. If the unit is used solo the left hand terminals will have a bridging strip. (that's left hand looking at it from the back)

The second unit (SM1) does the fancy braking. It has 3 wires - red, black, yellow. Take off the bridging strip. The black wire goes to the top terminal on the left. Yellow to bottom terminal on the left. Red to bottom terminal on the right. Nothing to the top terminal on the right.

The RH terminals provide uncontrollable 12V DC, top is negative.

I was lucky -- found both my controller and the directions instantly.

If you need more info, just ask.

Edited by BR60103
spelling -- 5 marks off
  • Informative/Useful 1

BR 60103, David,

Thanks, exactly what I needed, now all I have to do is go through half a dozen big boxes until I find it!

I print new facias using Photoshop and laminate with an adhesive backing. Saving the file turned up a fascia for the all in one version. That means I must have at least one as the style is clearly lifted (scanned) from an original. I wonder where that is?

I've lived in this house in the middle of a field for seventy years. For nearly half that time we hadn't a proper road in so you brought in what you needed but never took anything away. The habit remains, heaven help my executors!

Frank