Tri-ang 00 standard track

Silverfox17

I missed that!

Not that I could have bid on it from here in Sardinia. Postage charges are bad enough in the UK!

I've always wanted one. I didn't have the 36/- (IIRC) when  it came out (early 59? - we were still in Bristol and moved away in the summer). I did build a short length of catenary ready for it, but couldn't get the wire - just as well really as it would have collapsed as soon as I tried to use it.

IIRC the model was only available for a short time, though the junior version with the plastic pantograph lasted a bit longer.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

I missed that

Good job then, I might have had to pay more or lose it lol. 

I did have a second hand one in the early 60's as well as a short catenary system but gone by the late 60's I think. I know if never made it to my house when I got married in 1976.

Don't think I have ever seen the red one at all apart from photos. 

Garry 

Having obtained a few of all the standard track point variations I have found the the best looking one, the last version with series 3 blades, is for me the worst one for conductivity from rail to blade. The best in this matter was the original design but they are CA based so no good. I have therefore decided to make all these Mk2a points non isolating by soldering a couple of wires after the frog. The 5 on test this afternoon have all worked fine so a few more to do. For sidings I will just make an isolating rail on the first point in which will most likely be a power rail.

Garry

Standard point non isolating.JPG

On 22/10/2020 at 21:10, Silverfox17 said:

Here is a standard Dublo 3-rail wheelset showing how it will hit the frog until it has had its axle cut in half and sleeved with a smaller back to back which works fine.

Believe it or not the rails are quite shiny on top.

Garry

DSC04085.JPG

DSC04087.JPG

Don't post this on the Templot and hand built track group or you'll have Andy Reichart going! :)

• Funny 1

Another item I never had all those years ago was the station canopy.  You don't see too many and most of what I have seen have been twisted as probably made from CA but I have just been lucky to get 3 in very nice clean condition which will look good on my period layout.

I did write to Hornby about 12 years ago asking if they still had the moulds and would they consider a re-run, their answer was to make it viable they would have to do about 5000 and did not think it was worth it.  I cannot remember the cost mentioned but it was okay for me to buy half a dozen but I could not afford 5000 to then try to sell the rest on.  

Garry

Tri-ang station canopies.JPG

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Silverfox17 said:

Another item I never had all those years ago was the station canopy.  You don't see too many and most of what I have seen have been twisted as probably made from CA but I have just been lucky to get 3 in very nice clean condition which will look good on my period layout.

I did write to Hornby about 12 years ago asking if they still had the moulds and would they consider a re-run, their answer was to make it viable they would have to do about 5000 and did not think it was worth it.  I cannot remember the cost mentioned but it was okay for me to buy half a dozen but I could not afford 5000 to then try to sell the rest on.  

Garry

Tri-ang station canopies.JPG

The moulds will have been scrapped since then, the previous Hornby management cleared out any of the Margate Rovex tools that had not been sent to China. I did have a couple of these but clean unbroken ones are some of the few early Triang building items that fetch reasonable money (most being worth very little) so I decided to let them go.

• Like 1

The later 7" coach is from the Junior series - there is a maroon version too, neither are particularly easy to find these days. The loco looks like the Hornby Dublo R1 albeit influenced by the Triang R52 Jinty in providing a relatively inexpensive 2 rail plastic bodied loco modelled on an actual prototype.

• Like 1

The earlier coach would also have had glazing originally.

A problem is that the glazing can warp or otherwise get loose, and the roof was glued on the early models.

The “Primary Series” coaches also vary, as the early versions have the open axle boxes, and later versions have closed axle boxes, and pin point axles.

The passenger train sets had two coaches, of the same colour.

RP.A Set. With maroon coaches. From our collection.

40AD30E7-1D02-4368-AABB-47DD9B0E50B9.jpeg.07642f55053142cd92af41b6e9b7bf41.jpeg

I think that the Primary Series was launched in 1959.

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Added photo...
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

The loco looks like the Hornby Dublo R1 albeit influenced by the Triang R52 Jinty in providing a relatively inexpensive 2 rail plastic bodied loco modelled on an actual prototype.

Going back a few posts it shows how I fitted a Wrenn (Dublo) body on a Tri-ang Jinty chassis. 

I gave the coach fitted with Dublo 3-rail wheels, insulated obviously, a run through the crossing and points and ran well both pulled and pushed so more need doing. 

Garry 

Edited by Silverfox17
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

The earlier coach would also have had glazing originally

This one did have glazing but it was in poor condition so thrown away to be replaced later. 

I have 5 green 7" coaches 4 of the 6" maroon ones with no roof glued, but 3 of the 7 blood and custard 7" ones are glued on. These 3 are the only ones that look as if they were CA and possibly a previous owner glued them to try to prevent warping. The gluing is not as neat as what Tri-ang did on the 9" and early TT coaches. 

Garry 

I too always fancied a Steeple cab loco and still do - but only a body.  Is it an actual scale model of anything or just a 'generic' industrial style one?  One thing I have had an idea of building is a small industrial layout with OH electric power.  I even bought some packs of Joueff masts from Contikits a few years ago!

Oh, the Triang station buildings!  When I built my first 'proper' layout after getting married (it was a disaster darling!  (the layout that is!!)) I used my boyhood Triang buildings - but cut them in half to make them low relief!  I also covered them in Modelcraft brick paper.

I should be taken out and shot at dawn.....................:triniti:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 5050 said:

I too always fancied a Steeple cab loco and still do - but only a body.  Is it an actual scale model of anything or just a 'generic' industrial style one? 

I have no idea what it is based on but think it was just a generic designers idea of a cheap childs loco.  The NE had a OHL bogie loco with centre cab but no idea about anything else. I suppose it could have foreign designs like Swiss etc but again no idea. 

What most of us did as kids with our models would now be classed as sacrilege so don't worry Paul. 

Garry 

• Like 1

On 08/11/2020 at 13:25, 5050 said:

I too always fancied a Steeple cab loco and still do - but only a body.  Is it an actual scale model of anything or just a 'generic' industrial style one?  One thing I have had an idea of building is a small industrial layout with OH electric power.  I even bought some packs of Joueff masts from Contikits a few years ago!

Oh, the Triang station buildings!  When I built my first 'proper' layout after getting married (it was a disaster darling!  (the layout that is!!)) I used my boyhood Triang buildings - but cut them in half to make them low relief!  I also covered them in Modelcraft brick paper.

I should be taken out and shot at dawn.....................:triniti:

I always thought the body was based on the locomotives of the Oberammergau line.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Falchetron.com%2FAmmergau-Railway&psig=AOvVaw39y2dvHC6yNY6YnH7Z1NMP&ust=1605027214358000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCMDP-cb29ewCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAO

• Like 1

I have just received this brick wagon and cannot see it referenced in PH's book. As you can see it is in a bright red plastic and underneath states Made in England but no Tri-ang or Tri-ang Hornby name anywhere. Was it made for someone else for a basic set?

It is minus buffers and one wheel set which will be easy to source.

Garry

Red brick wagon.JPG

• Like 1

I got a decent brick wagon in a shop in Hythe Kent not so long ago. I've read on gere it is a very good model. Mine now runs on Ration diamond frame bogies and has cast metal ABSwain buffers fitted, along with Kadee couplers. I still need to do a bit of work on the brake gear to finish it off.

The bogies on mine were fairly modern as they had closed axle boxes and pin-point wheels fitted from new.

I got the plain brick wagon in a set with a blue clockwork steam loco, a bolster wagon (without bolster) with a minic car load, and a second bolster wagon without bolster but with a plain orange container (the type with central lifting eye) and a circle of Super-4 track. These wagons all came without a weight so did not always stay on the track until I added extra loads.

17 hours ago, Silverfox17 said:

According to one site the wagon is quite rare and from the Miniville set.  Photo showing the no name base.

Garry

Starter.jpg

Red brick wagon base.JPG

Th Miniville items are indeed rare these days. These items were distributed via the wholesale trade to compete with the 'market trader' type stores that sat outside the Triang authorised retailer network. Like many of the Hong Kong plastic toys sold in these outlets, what were intended as cheap low budget throwaway items can fetch quite remarkable prices at auction simply due to rarity.
The branding was deleted by means of a mould insert but it is not uncommon for items in the regular range to be missing the name as there does not seem to have been too much worry about cross-use of mouldings. However, the regular bright red Brick Wagon has a sprayed black underframe and heat printed lettering - it is not the same as the Miniville issue.

Edited by andyman7
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

The Tri-ang branding was being removed from mouldings from sometime in the 1960s.

There is a reference to this in Pat Hammond’s books...

After the 1970s Lines Bros. Break up, the Tri-ang name was sold off separately from the Rovex models division, so could no longer be used. It was still on some parts, like underframes and under wagon bodies though.

It took time for the tools to be altered.

There were quite a few wagons made not printed, or NP, for the cheaper sets, including the 16 ton mineral wagon, open wagon, goods van, and the original short brake van.

Managed to get some old Rovex track, the type that fits only one way. 11 of the curves and one straight are brass rail which obviously is a lot better than steel with not rusting but would not have been suitable years later for Magnadhesion. There were some steel rail pieces including the adapter tracks. Unfortunately all the tracks have suffered from the CA bases shrinking but I have managed to get a Jinty to run around although it jumps at the joints and where the track is tighter than the normal shrinkage.   For some reason the curved brass track has not twisted as much as the steel ones but has narrowed and shrunk in length. At least I can put the proper track in my set now.

I nearly missed it as it was late on that I had spotted it was not all standard track but half the amount was this early version. 

Garry

DSC04249.JPG

DSC04250.JPG

Edited by Silverfox17
  • Like 5

I have not managed to get any Mk2a electric points until today. Previously I got 3 or 4 of the Mk2 ones (as in the 2 top right) and took the motors out to put in the Mk2a's. These are in various conditions but the single one is after I have stripped and washed it.  I should have enough electric points for the planned layout now.

Also managed two nice boxed primary wagons, the green one looks unused going by the wheels. As I have read these are very light so will need a little weight underneath.

Garry

Electric point selection.JPG

Electric point cleaned.JPG

Primary wagons.JPG

• Like 4